We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpack trip to Yogyakarta and Bali

Which Yogyakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quezon City, Quezon...
2 posts
Save Topic
Backpack trip to Yogyakarta and Bali

Hi I'm planning to go on a backpack trip to Borobudur with my friends on my birthday. Question. How do we get to Borobudur from Bali(by land)? Or better yet, how do we get straight there from the Philippines? Is there an international airport in Yogyakarta? If yes, how do we get there(temples) from the airport/point of arrival? Also, are there any cheap hostels we can stay in near the location? Regarding the temple tour, i'm not sure if we want a tour guide because we kinda just want to explore the temples by ourselves but I'm pretty sure we need someone who can give us directions from one spot to another. Is there anyway we can work on that? if yes, how? we plan to tour all three temples(borobudur, rato boku(?) and prambaanan) I wonder how many days we can do that for? Also, i'd like to know how much the entrance fees(we're students) are per pax. and are there any pub streets we can go to chill and grab a drink after a long day tour, just near the location? I really hope you guys can help me with this

Btw were planning to go to Bali too. Is it better if we just go straight to Bali then Borobudur or should we go to Borobudur first then Bali? What transpo should we ride to Borobudur if ever we decide to go to Bali first/vice versa? We plan to travel by land. is that possible? if so, how many hours would that take us and how? i'd love it if you guys can provide the estimate fare too :D

also, is there anyway we can avail the sunrise tour(borobudur) without checking-in in a hotel? we're just a bunch of backpackers on a budget so we really cant afford to check in any expensive hotel just to avail the sunrise tour. for how much would that possibly be?

lastly, since we plan to go to Bali too, any suggestions on which attractions to go to? we havent planned/researched on that yet since we really dont have any idea where to go once we step foot in Bali. Thanks!

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Chesca

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpack trip to Yogyakarta and Bali

Hi,

If you want to fly straight to Indonesia, you can take Cebu Pacific from Manila to Bali because there's no direct flight from Manila to Yogya. From Bali you can go to Yogya and then back to Bali for the flight back to Manila.

If you want to go to Yogya from Bali overland, you can go by bus. It will cost you around IDR 250,00-300,000/person for AC executive bus. Some of the bus companies that serve this route are Gunung Harta (address: Jl. Ngurah Rai No. 70 Bali Phone (0361) 814999- 811397), Restu Mulya (Jl. Pulau Kawe No.32 Denpasar, Phone (0361) 225043, 234950, 236846) and Safari Dharma Raya (Ruko Niti Mandala, Jl. Raya Puputan No. 2-3 Phone (0361) 231206). If you go by budget airlines such as Air Asia or Lion Air, it will cost you around IDR 470,000. The trip is around 20 hours.

For your plan to visit Borobudur and Prambanan, you can stay at the city center around Prawirotaman or Sosrowijayan area where there are a lot of budget hotels to choose from. You can take public transport to Borobodur and Prambanan. If you bring your student ID card, there will be a discount from the normal foreign tourist entry fare. Entry ticket for combined ticket Prambanan-Ratu Boko is IDR 130,000 for foreign student and for Borobudur is IDR 95,000 for foreign student. Tour guide is not mandatory and the path to the temple is quite easy to find.

For Borobudur sunrise tour, the price is quite steep although you are not staying at Manohara hotel. The price for non-hotel guest is IDR 380,000/person, around USD 38.It's better to wait until the gate is opened around 6AM so that you will only have to pay the normal entrance fee.

Alternatively, you can go to Puthuk Setumbu hill where you can see the Borobudur sunrise from the distance. Google it to find a picture from Puthuk Setumbu hill overlooking Borobudur. This will be much cheaper than taking the sunrise tour in Borobudur temple. After visiting Puthuk Setumbu hill, you can go directly to Borobudur temple.

For questions about Bali, please post it in Bali Forum.

Quezon City, Quezon...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpack trip to Yogyakarta and Bali

Thank you so much for that information! I do have a few more questions to add, if ever we decide to go to Puthuk Setumbu hill instead of the temples to catch the Borobudur sunrise, how do we get there from the city and how many minutes would that take us? would that still cost us a for an entrance fee or is that for free? And also, are there any pub streets we can go to chill and grab a drink after a long day tour, just near the location? :D lastly, aside from the temples, what are the other attractions in yogyakarta can we visit? are there nice beaches located in yogyakarta worth visiting to? if yes, what should we ride and how long would that take us to get there from the city and for how much would it possibly be? hope to hear from you guys soon! thank you!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpack trip to Yogyakarta and Bali

Hi!

Here is an information about Punthuk Setumbu hills: …yogyes.com/en/…. It's about 4 km from Borobudur, so you should stay in a hotel around Borobudur or start very early in the morning from the city.

For pubs, there's none around Borobudur area, but if you stay at the city there are several pubs around Prawirotaman and Sosrowijayan street.

For other attractions, see www.yogyes.com. A lot of things to do in Yogya and it's a good website to explore.

4. Re: Backpack trip to Yogyakarta and Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 30, 2014