We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

Ampang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

Hi,

Is it possibble to go to Borobodur and Mount Merapi (for sightseeing not climbing) for a day trip? (i will stay at malioboro area).

Between Borobodur and Merapi Mountain what other places nearby that i can go to visit ?

Thank You.

Fiz

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,798 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

http://www.yogyes.com/ Is a great information site.

How many days do you have in Central Java?

Do not forget to see Prambanan and the Kraton, (Sultan's Palace) If you have time go to Solo

Ampang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

Thank you ubudpuppy i will check into the website.

I'll be in Yogya for 4d3n. My plan is to go for a day trip to Borobodur & Mount Merapi and one more day i will spend in Yogya's town (i believe in Malioboro has a lot of things to catch up) :)

Purmerend, The...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

It is possible to visit Borobudur and Merapi in one day. I doubt it is possible to drive from Borobudur to Merapi directly; I guess you have to drive back in the direction of Yogyakarta before you can go to Borobudur. Maybe there is a road but I guess this will take ages. Better follow the main roads. If you want to do this, you definitely need a car with driver. I am pretty sure you can not do this in one day by public transport. You can also go to Solo. Solo also has a Kraton and many things to see and do. You can also go north to Salatiga and for instance the Ambarawa Railway museum (steam engines) or you can visit Gedong Songo (beautifull small temples situated in a hillside) and you can visit Banaran Agrotourism (coffee plantage). If you want to go for a nice swimm you can visit Pandawan Lima in Solo. It is a swimming paradise

Yogyakarta...
Level Contributor
61 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

Yes its very possible if you do early morning trip to Borobudur and then you can go either to Ketep , Kaliurang, Kaliadem ..But from Borobudur the nearest is Ketep ..Kaliurang and kaliadem are nice to visit if you are into nature ,and if you are into museum , you can visit Museum Ullen sentalu in Kaliurang (worth to visit) and spend afternoon there.. And if you still have time you can do Prambanan temple for sunset ..

Malioboro , Sultan palace etc can do in the next day.. hope that helps

Jogjakarta
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

If You visit Borobudur and Merapi, You can visit Volcano musium, Kaliurang, and kali adem adventure, It needs about a half day till one day.

:)

Jakarta, Indonesia
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

We are planning in a group to Jogjakarta in July this year for two days. We intend to visit Prambanan Temple, see the Ramayana ballet there, Borodudur Temple and Mt. Merapi Volcano. Please help in working out a plan. We are staying near Marlioboro area.

My queries are as follows:

1. What are the opening and closing times for the above places.

2. Do we have to purchase the tickets for the Ramayana ballet in advance? If so, how?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

1. What are the opening and closing times for the above places.

Borobudur typically opens from 7am to 5pm

Prambanan also opens around the same time. Ramayana ballet ticket holders can stay at designated restaurant after the park closing hour (no roaming around the complex is allowed after the park close).

2. Do we have to purchase the tickets for the Ramayana ballet in advance? If so, how?

Ramayana Ballet ticket at Prambanan temple can be purchased through ticket counter when you arrive at Prambanan (walk-in) without any problem, unless you are traveling in a really large group which you may contact the operator directly.

Jakarta, Indonesia
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

Thanks for the prompt reply which is very useful and informative.

We are in a group of 12 persons. Hope there would not be any problem regarding Ramayana Ballet tickets. What time does the Ramayana Ballet starts and what is its duration? I know it is in the evening but do not know the exact time.

I am planning my trip as follows:

Day I

Mt. Merapi - Pramaban Temple (Ramayana ballet in the evening)

Day II

Borobudur Temple

Kraton/Water Castle.

In view of the above, my queries are as follows:

1. How much time do we really need in Mt. Merapi if we do not have to climb it and just want to take lava jeep tour?

2. How much time is needed in Prambanan Temple and Borobudur Temple?

3. What time does the Kraton and Water Castle closes?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

Ramayana Ballet query:

Show starts at 7.30pm for approx 2 hours long. Learn more about dates and venue schedule borobudurpark.co.id/temple/ramayanaPrambanan

I advise to revise your schedule as follows

Day 1

Start early to Borobudur (those who wants to see sunrise can go as early as 5 or 6am), stay there until approx 10am and then head to Merapi (either to Kaliurang lookout point or jeep tour). Return to city afterwards

Day 2

Morning do the tour of Keraton and Water Castle. You may catch live performance at Keraton on select days. yogyes.com/en/yogyakarta-calendar-of-events/

After lunch, head to Prambanan and spend the rest of the day there until the time you watch Ramayana ballet at Prambanan

australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip for Borobodur and Mount Merapi from Malioboro

wow !! all this info is so useful, thankyou, we are planning a trip next year and have just started to research times and the area,you have been extremely helpful, if you have any other info re this region, please let me know, thanks again