We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

Which Yogyakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

Hi there, just been researching the options and methods of transportation for when we are in Yog in May. Wanting to visit the main sites obviously. By happenchance we arrive on Vesak day 25th May and it would seem a good idea to get to Borobudur and somehow get back to our hotel in Yog in the evening.

Now the official Borobudur site have emailed me a pack of info that includes transportation facts including the cost of a one way taxi from ASA or Jas Taxis as 150-180,000IDR.

But looking on Yogyes tourist portal seems to say you can hire a car and driver plus fuel for 12 hours for a similar price-http://www.yogyes.com/en/yogyakarta-car-rental/#car-driver-fuel

Is this correct? or is there another factor to take into account??

And is it similar across all of Indonesia- initial reading seems to suggest 3 times the cost for a similar day in Ubud?

Thanks ahead for anybody who can clarify this.

Dezzer.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

Car hire price you see on Yogyes: it is only valid (mostly) for travel within the city limit. For traveling to Borobudur, different charges might apply as it is outside the city limit. That's why it is best to ask the quotation from them directly and tell the company about your plan to get exact quotation - from which you can compare with the taxi rate.

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

Thanks cirque, will put in a test request then.

But say i wanted to visit the sites within Yog then i could have my own personal car and driver with me all day for 120k. in the UK-I can pay this for ONE taxi ride from my home to the local train station of a few kilometres-all within our city limit too!!!

Still working on how we will get back from Borobodur on the evening of Vesak day then-any advice?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

Hey dezzer.

The 120 quote in Yogyes is a bummer. As you call them up you will realize that no one will give you a quote less than 300 K for the 12 hrs which includes petrol. Since they don't have emails, even communicating with the guys there on phone is a bit of a head ache. But generally the deals I was offered were about 500 K for the 12 hrs including petrol inside the city.

From your post i understand that you are staying in Jogja. In that case the quote for the taxi is for the return trip to Borobudur. You could get this for about 250 K - 300 K return. So the driver will wait for you there or come back to pick you up. Be sure to take his number to avoid confusion.

Also I remember a post about somebody (was that you) arriving in Borobudur on Vesak and some good points on that. Please do check that up.

You should be able to find my recent trip review on the threads where You might find some more tips there regarding transport hire in Jogja.

Cheers and have a good trip.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

Other factors to be taken into consideration

a)Some rental quoted rental within city limits only.Henceforth cheaper fare

For outstation travel must include the following

b)fuel(gasoline)

c)entrance fee for vehicle to tourist destination

d)all parking charges

e)toll inclusive if applicable.

f)duration of rental(normal 8 hours)

g)Vehicles model?

Bogor
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

I had a vacation in Yogya last weekend and rented a car (Innova model) for 2 days (12 hours each). I was quoted 500K in the first day since my destinations was far, almost at the eastern end of Central Java (mainly to Cetho and Sukuh temple). In the 2nd day I was quoted 450K for touring the beaches on the southern highlands of Yogya (all prices include petrol and driver). However, when you're renting a car you're supposed to be responsible for the driver's meal too, so your total expense is actually slightly higher than that.

My point is, if you only want to go to one destination that is not far from Yogya, then taxi might be the best choice but if you want to explore more, you can rent a car.

Note: The most common car models used are Avanza and Innova. if you want to minimize the price, you can rent the Avanza model instead of Innova.

Bogor
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

-edit- sorry i double posted it

Edited: 12:20 am, April 01, 2013
Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

Thanks fellow TA members. With the "real" price of day hire car then it begins to make sense.

Yes our best bet would be in agreeing a taxi fare there/ wait several hours?/and then back. If you say it could be about 225k then that for the two of us would be very reasonable. Perhaps on arrival our hotel will be able to coordinate a deal.

Anyody else can confirm what they have paid?

Jogjakarta
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

Easy way to explore java (Borobudur etc) is by rent a car which iclude driver.

It's esier when the driver speaking english.

Regards

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

<<Yes our best bet would be in agreeing a taxi fare there/ wait several hours?/and then back. If you say it could be about 225k then that for the two of us would be very reasonable.>>

This could be a bad idea especially if the taxi driver does not have personal communication device (i.e. mobile phone with him)

Still, with hourly car rental rate of Rp80,000 it is still a better deal even if you just rent it for 3 hours.

10 hour rate is Rp600,000

<< Perhaps on arrival our hotel will be able to coordinate a deal.>>

It largely depend on the hotel.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire vs Taxi -are these prices correct??

Hi, I was just wondering what price you ended up getting and how you went about booking. I want to do two day trips from Yogya and have been quoted some really high prices, almost 3 times what we have managed to sort out for Ubud. Any suggestions would be great. I am thinking to wait until we are there and reserve through the hotel but not sure.

Get answers to your questions about Yogyakarta