We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo, Candi Cetho, Candi Sukuh in day-trip from Yogya?

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
406 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Solo, Candi Cetho, Candi Sukuh in day-trip from Yogya?

We are considering the following day-trip:

- very early in the morning: leaving from Yogya, with private car;

- morning: visiting the main attractions in Solo;

- mid-day: car transfer to the temples area, further east;

- afternoon: visiting Candi Sukuh and Candi Cetho (which order?);

- evening: back to Yogya by car.

Yes. I know that Solo would deserve more time. But I have few time. And as far as I know the above mentioned temples are nice but don't require a great amount of time as - let's say - Borobudur and Prambanan in Yogya.

Is my schedule doable?

If yes: would it be better or worse doing it on a Sunday? Less traffic or more traffic and more crowded temples?

Thank you.

Asia
Level Contributor
663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo, Candi Cetho, Candi Sukuh in day-trip from Yogya?

Hello Cuito ! The trip is doable. I suggest you visit one of the two Solo Kartons in the morning and spend around one hour there before you take off to the temples.

The first temple you will visit is Candi Sukuh and then Candi Ceto. Both are very interesting and beautiful. On the way from Sukuh to Ceto you will pass tea plantations and you can stop and watch the pickers doing their work.

The scenery is quite beautiful and the air is cool and fresh.

By the evening you will be back in Jogja. Tired but happy. :) This trip is one of my personal favorites.

Q

Edited: 2:34 pm, March 30, 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo, Candi Cetho, Candi Sukuh in day-trip from Yogya?

Traffic will be no different, but if possible make it on Sunday so you won't get stuck in city traffic. As for the temples, it will be more crowded on weekends, but still manageable.

Bogor
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo, Candi Cetho, Candi Sukuh in day-trip from Yogya?

Yes, it is doable.

I just did that trip last weekend. Though I skipped the Solo tourist objects since I've ever visited that, I managed to do Cetho and Sukuh though we departed from Jogja after lunch. So even though you visit Solo first, since you're departing early in the morning, the tour is still doable. Cetho is a bit further so it is advisable to visit Cetho first before Sukuh.

I don't know about sunday but last weekend was a long weekend here (started from friday) and supposed to be crowded too but the traffic was just fine.

Yogyakarta...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo, Candi Cetho, Candi Sukuh in day-trip from Yogya?

Of course it is do-able, but still depends on the traffic anyway, if you start from Yogya in the very early morning between 3am-5am, it will only take 1-1.5 hour to reach Solo, but if you start after 6am, it will take 2-3hours (based on my experience).

Then, I suggest, after you visit main attractions in Solo, I prefer to go to Candi Cetho first, because it is more far to reach than Candi Sukuh, I mean, you can stop by in Candi Sukuh on your way back home after visiting Candi Cetho. It will take 1,5hours to reach Candi Cetho from Solo, because it is located near the border line between Central Java and East Java.

From Candi Sukuh to Jogja, it will take 3 hours because the traffic is more crowd at night.

5. Re: Solo, Candi Cetho, Candi Sukuh in day-trip from Yogya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 17, 2014