We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Yogyakarta?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
88 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Yogyakarta?

Hi,

Is it safe to travel alone in Yogyakarta?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Yogyakarta?

Yes it is.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Yogyakarta?

Very safe.. one of the safest part of Indonesia IMO..

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Yogyakarta?

Yes it is safe!

Purmerend, The...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Yogyakarta?

Yes, it is definitvely safe

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Yogyakarta?

We've visited twice in recent times and wandered around all over the place during the day and at night and never once felt unsafe. It's a lovely little city with lots to see and do and I feel sure you'll enjoy your visit.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Yogyakarta?

So it is apparently safe for cats as well :)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Yogyakarta?

Oh yes Hurc. Cats are most welcome in Yogya. We were treated most deferentially befitting our position as regal creatures. We of course returned the compliment with grace and appropriate thanks for two wonderful and adventurous trips in this incredible place.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Yogyakarta?

Hopefully both yourself and TravelTom managed to visit Borobupurr whilst you were there?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Yogyakarta?

Seemed safe to us but we weren't there very long. Wish we had more time.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Yogyakarta?

We found it safe. When visiting the temples, lots of people kept wanting to talk to us and have their picture taken with us, at first I thought this was unusual, but got use to it ..... we must be in several school photos and various others. Everyone was really friendly.

One thing that I was a bit wary of, we were at Prambanan and just walking from one of the temples along a not so busy road. In the corner of my eye I spotted two guys on a scooter (who I thought looked a little shifty), anyway, they came along the road and started to slow down, but they seem to notice I was watching them then hastily turned round a zoomed off. My husband wasn't too bothered, but my instincts told me that perhaps they might have wanted to try and take my bag? (although nothing valuable in it). It might have been something or nothing, and guess it happens anywhere in the world ......... not sure it helps, but I would be careful wherever I was even at home.

Get answers to your questions about Yogyakarta