We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

Which Yogyakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

Any news?

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,399 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

Well, there are no American consulates in Yogja, but there are a few KFC's. There was a warden alert for East Java and Lombok for Friday but didn't hear about anything happening.

What is your exact concern?

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

Granddaughter and friends there at language school.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

The US Warden message was an oblique reference to the ubiquitous purveyors of rubbish fast food on Lombok...

Lombok has a KFC, a McDonalds and a Pizza Hut.

"We have received information that certain groups that are planning to hold demonstrations tomorrow have also called on their members to focus on U.S. brand businesses, especially well-known fast food franchises in East Java and Lombok"... …usembassy.gov/us-service/wm_09202012_2.html

Well, as ubudpuppy mentioned, that was yesterday and as far as I know nothing happened.

I have detected no alarming anti-American sentiments in Lombok.

There is some bemusement and astonishment at the conduct of the US government in general but it is normally quite mute and confined to general conversations on world affairs.

In general terms Americans go unnoticed and unheeded unless they start making a big noise about themselves.

Sadly sometimes they do and most people just do their best to either ignore them or avoid them at such times.

There are plenty of quite normal and pleasant expat Americans living in Indonesia and there are always a good number of American tourists in the country. They are generally treated just like any other visitor.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

KCM150, I am a long way from Yogyakarta but I anticipate your concerns may be unwarranted.

Edited: 7:20 am, September 22, 2012
Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

Thanks!

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

99.999999 percent sure no anti-american violence in Yogyakarta.. Its the safest part of Indonesia IM0.. But still, you cant let your guards down, just like anywhere else.. Dont let the 'propaganda' news or articles influence you..

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

Yogyakarta is safe, this town was the safe place to live and well known for education city

Yogyakarta...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

I second the previous replies: your family members are safe here in Yogya (probably safer than at home :-) )

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

I tend to agree with Ayu.

Though Sonoma is not exactly known as a world trouble-spot a trip to Yogya is far less of a concern than a trip to somewhere like San Francisco.

Yogyakarta is a cultural and educational centre and people there have a reputation for being quite pleasant.

Lt Mike Stone would soon retire to a quite cafe or hotel bar if despatched to Yogyakarta as there would be little to keep him otherwise engaged unless he wanted to go off on a mission to unravel the mysteries of Borobodur.

I have a suspicion KCM150's grand-daughter and her friends are probably at the mercy of a lot of people very similar to the scary looking Ayu, and if so she is probably having a lovely time.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anti-American violence or danger in Yogya?

dont worry yogyakarta and solo its safe,, in yogyakarta many students from usa life with local people..