We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan

Which Yogyakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow
Level Contributor
31 posts
426 reviews
Save Topic
Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan

Hello,

I've got two full days in Yogya. First one is dedicated to Borobudur-Kaliurang-Prambanan, of course. Now the question is about the second day.

I've got two options: Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan tour (which is offered by the Phoenix hotel I'm staying at) or Solo trip.

Main goal is to make as more nice photos as possible. No interest in local markets, shops or factories.

What to choose?

Jayapura, Indonesia
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan

I think you should go Solo because Solo is rich of culture.

If you like local markets, you can try to Pasar Klewer which sell various Batik.

Beside Pasar Klewer, there used to be an ice factory, "Pabrik Es Saripetojo", but I think now it is demolished. It is only the office house left.

Another object in Solo is Kraton Solo, Bengawan Solo River, Batik Museum, primordial man museum, Tawangmangu.

In Yogya, there is a sugar factory, "Pabrik Gula Madukismo", which is located in Bantul.

Moscow
Level Contributor
31 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan

Like I said previously, the goal is to avoid markets and factories :)

If Solo is about nice views and buildings, then it's ok. But I thought that Semarang also offers some nice panoramic views from the hilltops.

Jayapura, Indonesia
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan

I'm sorry Thefall, I didn't notice "No interest".

Semarang had an historical building too, such as "Lawang Sewu" (used to be railway office), "Gereja Blendug" (church), "Klenteng Sam Poo Kong" (Kong Hu Chu Temple), and old town area near Tawang Station.

For nice panoramic views from the hilltops, like you said, I suggest to "Gombel Area" or "Taman Tabanas".

Now, the choice is yours....

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan

I suggest that you visit Solo and surrounding attractions such as Cetho Temple, Sukuh Temple and Tawangmangu waterfall. IMO Solo is more pleasant than Semarang.

Moscow
Level Contributor
31 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan

Thank you, radjaff and Ivan M.

Do I really need a guide during the trip to Solo or is it better to rent a car with driver and walk everywhere by myself?

Alhaurin el Grande...
Level Contributor
853 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan

It is hard to advise between Solo trip and Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan, without knowing what Phoenix includes in the trips.

Solo.

- if Solo means only the town itself, the only attraction for you would be the kraton, and you have probably already seen the kraton in Yogya.

- if Solo means/includes the Sukuh and Cetho temples, these are worthwhile as rajaff says. I do not rate Tawangmangu waterfall highly: too walked over. You can go to these temples by yourself if you hire a car with driver. See my Solo tips on VT: members.virtualtourist.com/m/c8969/126929/4/

Salatiga etc.

I happen to live in Salatiga and would not recommend the town itself or a day visit. But there are many interesting sights around Salatiga, read these tips: members.virtualtourist.com/m/c8969/126ff3/4/

E.g. if you are interested in waterfalls, Kali Pancur makes nicer photos than Tawangmangu.

Bandungan is close to Salatiga, and I suppose Phoenix wants to take you to the Gedong Songo temples. See my Ambarawa tips:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/201670/

Semarang's main photo opportunities are the historic buildings, as mentioned by Ivan. I have not yet put these on VT, but the photo of "Tugu Muda Circle" was taken from a tower of the Lawang Sewu building; see:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/c8969/126cea/

So, if you compare Phoenix's program with what I show on VT, you can probably make a choice between the two trips. And of course, if you hire a car with driver, you may as well follow an itinerary of your own choosing.

Good luck!

Theo

Edited: 9:04 am, August 07, 2012
Yogyakarta...
Level Contributor
61 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan

you can do smg-salatiga-bandungan and stay in semarang and go to those places for a day .. as other mentioned above and you are not into markets , shop etc then i reckon dont do Solo ..

In bandungan, yes Gedong songo temple worth visit

Cheers

8. Re: Semarang-Salatiga-Bandungan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 22, 2013