We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historical tour in Yogyakarta

Which Yogyakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Historical tour in Yogyakarta

Greetings!

We are travelers interested in photographing historical landmarks and landscapes.

We only have 3 days in Yogyakarta.

Can anyone suggest if these landmarks are worth photographing (tour was suggested by a tour driver).

Day 1 - rambanan ceto sukuh tawang mangu

day 2 - kraton mangku negaran antiq market,batik mosium parang tritis

day 3 - borobudur sunrise dieng platau to se caler lake,kawah sikidang

and arjuna temple kompleks

day 4 (last day) - day 4 on the 14 sultan palace tamansari bird market malioboro drop off at airport

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,032 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historical tour in Yogyakarta

The central java area around Jogja is full of amazing sites...Borobudur and Prambanan are the largest and most famous and are extremely photogenic..as is Merapi and Dieng. I would suggest looking at Google earth to get an idea.

If you are serious about photography I would plan to spend hour and hours at each of these sites..you can't rush it. Forget the rest and just focus on your primary objective, and if you find you have time, then go ahead and do some more touristy stuff...You can ask your hotel to arrange transport without needing a guide.. btw.

For your other question, if you want to be "in town" Malioboro is a great street with the most hotels and cafes and Malioboro Mall. Very crowded but fun and walkable.

Palangan Tentara is behind the Hyatt Hotel (Rumah Mertua) and is about 15 minutes by car from Malioboro. The food in the hotel is fine so you don't really need to go outside to eat.

Alhaurin el Grande...
Level Contributor
854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historical tour in Yogyakarta

Hi,

I second the advice of Ubudpuppy: if your objective is good potography you cannot rush it, and you will have to make choices.

For one thing, you have to plan for the time of day and the direction of the sun. Best light you get early morning. On the other hand, pics of temples in backlight usually come out poorly.

I suggest you browse through the photo's on the Virtual Tourist website, and make a selection of the objects you want to photograph.

You might start with my pages (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/m/c8969/), but there are many more.

For some of the objects you mention, go the my pages on:

(Day 1) Prambanan, Solo for Sukuh and Ceto temples. I have no page on Tawangmangu, which is a mountain resort with waterfall; compare my page on Sarangan which is in the same direction.

(Day 2) Yogyakarta Special Region for the south coast. IMHO Baron and Kukup are more photogenic than Parangtritis.

(Day 3) Borobudur, Dieng Plateau (for sunrise and Sikidang crater a.o.).

(Day 4) I did not post pics of objects in Yogya city yet, but many others did.

I wish you success, perhaps after this experience you will come back for more!

Theo

Edited: 3:53 am, May 27, 2012
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,318 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Historical tour in Yogyakarta

You didn't mention Prambanan and I think this place would be ideal for some awesome photography. In the same grounds which can be reached by the little green train, is Sewu, which although mainly in ruins is again most worthy of lots of photos.

My other favourite was Plaosan which was a short drive from Prambanan.

Alhaurin el Grande...
Level Contributor
854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Historical tour in Yogyakarta

Hi, travelcat!

Look again. I did mention Prambanan first thing for travelingcebuano's day 1.

And if you check out the things to do and off-the-beaten-path tips on my Prambanan page, Candi Sewu, Candi Plaosan and many more are all there!

Theo

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Historical tour in Yogyakarta

>> Day 1 - Prambanan ceto sukuh tawang mangu <<

Visiting tawangmangu will be pushing it a little bit. IMO Tawangmangu is not so interesting, it's better to focus your itinerary to Prambanan and its surrounding temples, Ceto and Sukuh temple.

>> day 2 - kraton mangku negaran antiq market,batik mosium parang tritis <<

This is a bit strange, kraton mangkunegaran is in Solo. Do you plan to spend your night on Day 1 in Solo? About batik museum, the only one worth visiting in Solo is Danarhadi batik museum. Don't let your driver to take you to other "museum" or "gallery", it's just their way to push you to shop and make commission for himself. Parangtritis is south of Yogyakarta, don't know how you will be able to fit this into day 2 in Solo. You should choose whether to spend day 2 in Solo or Yogyakarta.

>> day 3 - borobudur sunrise dieng platau to se caler lake,kawah sikidang

and arjuna temple kompleks <<

This is fine.

>> day 4 (last day) - day 4 on the 14 sultan palace tamansari bird market malioboro drop off at airport <<

Ask the driver to bring you to Kotagede. This is the former capital of Mataram Kingdom, you will see old Dutch and Javanese buildings. Definitely a heaven for photographers. The Kotagede market is also quite interesting.

Yogyakarta...
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Historical tour in Yogyakarta

Greetings! Sounds Great your itinerary.

The most important thing in photographing historical landmarks and landscapes is moment and weather. As my experience, The best time to visit Sukuh or Cetho temple is 04.00pm before sunset. Afternoon's light will create a beautiful color temple's stones. Waiting untill sunset, Sunset will also provide its own nuances to your image.

Maybe you can visit Tawamangu first for day 1 before visit Sukuh Or Cetho temple in the afternoon.

Day 2- I advise to visit Merapi Mountain Area (Lava Tour area) before you go to Solo. Merapi Mountain landscape are also very good for taking picture. I recommended to visit merapi at 06.00am. If you lucky, you can see details of Merapi Summit. (dont forget to bring Tele Lens)

And for Dieng Plateu (Day 3), I suggest you in early morning. But The Borobudur Sunrise more important so maybe Afternoon time is the best choice to visit Dieng.

Hopefully my opinion can be helpful!

Rgrds

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,318 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Historical tour in Yogyakarta

Hi Theo. I was mainly responding to the OP who had not mentioned Prambanan so of course I doubled up on that suggestion from your good self. Ah, I've just looked at the original post again and noticed that Prambanan was spelt rambanan which caused the confusion.

8. Re: Historical tour in Yogyakarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Yogyakarta