We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Magelang-Borobudur jan 2012

Which Yogyakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Magelang-Borobudur jan 2012

Hi friends,

our big group are planning to go to Borobudur around Jan 18 2012, I've heard about the flood around the roads to Magelang. Does it make the traffic jam? Last year the flood make it impossible to get thru that road. A friend said it will be taken a whole day to get to Borobudur because of the traffic jam from the bottle neck road.

Please advise alternative direction other that the usual road or do we just forget Borobudur for this time?

Thanks

Alhaurin el Grande...
Level Contributor
853 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Magelang-Borobudur jan 2012

In March last year the bridge at Muntilan was knocked out by cold lava flow from Merapi volcano. I would think that the situation is back to normal by now.

Just last week I drove a byroad from Borobudur to Yogya, took about one hour and a half. The route coming from Yogya is: Yogya - west to Godean - north to Minggir and Candirejo - Boroudur. Interesting route with views of Progo river.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Magelang-Borobudur jan 2012

Thanks for the info :)

I'm referring to the flood recently on Jan 3rd around Gempol,Jumoyo km 23. The news saying the road is jammed because of the traffic. Is it the on same route as you mentioned?

Denpasar, Indonesia
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Magelang-Borobudur jan 2012

Please, check with Jumoyo CCTV.

http://merapi.combine.or.id/cctv/12513/

Alhaurin el Grande...
Level Contributor
853 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Magelang-Borobudur jan 2012

Just found the latest news. Last night (Sunday night 9th Jan) new flooding with cold lava has occurred worse than that on the 3rd. At least one hamlet close to the main road has been wiped off the map.

Traffic from Magelang to Yogya is being diverted from Muntilan along the route I proposed in my previous posting. As these are narrow roads, they must be jammed.

There is a very roundabout route from Yogya via Wates and Purworejo to Borobudur - about four times the normal distance. Even this route will be more crowded than usually. Which would make your outing to Borobudur a full day outing.

Have you ever been to Prambanan? If not, I would suggest you go there instead of Borobudur. It is east of Merapi as opposed to Borobudur, on the road to Solo just 15 minutes from Yogya. See:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/c8969/12745d/

Theo

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Magelang-Borobudur jan 2012

Ooh, that is too bad :(

Yes, our next option will be Prambanan, but group also planned to go to Magelang to visit the Taruna Nusantara high school , so I'm sure we had to cancel this trip too..

Thank you so much, I'm sure the kids would prefer a much more convinient route. Than, to Prambanan we will go :)

6. Re: Road to Magelang-Borobudur jan 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, February 24, 2013