We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days itinerary for Bali and Yogyakarta

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
7 days itinerary for Bali and Yogyakarta

Hi all,

I am planning a trip for Bali and Yogyakarta with my wife starting on 22nd/23rd Feb. I was suggested the following itinerary by someone. Can you review it and see if it is do-able and if you would suggest any changes?

If we have 2-3 additional days, what would you suggest adding?

We like nature/forests and hiking.

Bali day 1

Explore Ubud

Watch Kecak Dance in Uluwatu Temple during sunset

Bali day 2

Explore Tabanan, Ulun Danu Bratan, Tanah Lot

Bali day 3

Explore northern Bali (Bedugul)

Bali day 4

Or you can just chill in Ubud, have a SPA there, swim in infinity pool whole enjoying chilly forest scenery

Yogyakarta day 1

Candi Borobudur, Candi Prambanan, Ratu Boko, Candi Plaosan (all in the same region)

Yogyakarta day 2

Merapi Lava tour/Jomblang Cave Tour

Yogyakarta day 3

Taman Sari Castle

Roaming in Malioboro (Centre of the City)

6 replies to this topic
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: 7 days itinerary for Bali and Yogyakarta

I don't know who suggested this plan for you but to me it's not a good plan. 7 days for both Bali and Central Java is very short, if possible try to add more days. Very important, where in Bali will you be staying? The island is bigger than you might think and it can take hours to get from one side to another. Also, Ubud the region has so many things to see and do one day is not enough. EG...Are you staying near the south or Ubud? if you are then going from Ubud to see Uluwatu in one day is not practical logistically. It would be better to see Uluwatu when you are in the south already. Your Bali Days 2 and 3 are a mix..Tabanan regency includes both Bedugul, Pura Ulun Bratan and Tanah Lot, it's a long regency that goes from mountains to the ocean.

Your Jogja time is strange..you have all the main attractions on your first day (Borobodur is an hour or two away from the others) . IMHO too many temples on that one day, better to spread them out.

Since you mention adding additional days I would def add them to Bali..That way you have time to see more temples, lakes, mountains etc..

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: 7 days itinerary for Bali and Yogyakarta

iniesta14, hi

Do you fly all the way from USA to Indonesia for 7 days only?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: 7 days itinerary for Bali and Yogyakarta

@Schonefeld - No I am flying from India, and we are there from 22nd Feb to 3rd March (flying our on 4th March to India).

So we have a lot more time now. I am thinking of staying in Bali from 22nd Feb to 28th, flying to Yogyakarta on 28th, staying there till 3rd. Does this seem reasonable?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: 7 days itinerary for Bali and Yogyakarta

I think it's enough for staying 2night and 3days.

day1 borobudur sunrise tour + malioboro

day2 prambanan and others

Anyway recommend you to look for sunrise/sunset tour for both famous places.

Even though you already know hot weather in India, the change of light can give you more inspiration

As others said, Bali island is a bit big and there is a jam(heard that it was reduced after eruption of Mt. Agung), there are too many hotels, resorts and villas. If you enjoy beachside, consider Kuta, Seminyak, Canggu, can choose Uluwatu with high budget. if u don't like beach, Ubud is very attractive in my opinon.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: 7 days itinerary for Bali and Yogyakarta

It sounds reasonable, depending on your interests of course. It sounds like you have only 5 days for Bali which is still tight, but depends on what you want to see. I don't know if you read my post # 1.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: 7 days itinerary for Bali and Yogyakarta

I have made an itinerary:

Day 1 (22nd Feb) - Reach Denpasar airport @ 12 noon

See Bajra Sandhi Monument in the afternoon, dance at evening in Uluwatu temple

Stay overnight

Day 2 (23rd Feb) - Reach Ubud

Tegallalang Rice Terrace, Gunung Kawi Temple

Stay overnight

Day 3 (24th Feb) - Ubud

Campuhan Ridge Walk,

Monkey forest, Goa Gajah, Jatiluwih Rice Terraces

Stay overnight

Day 4 (25th Feb) - Reach Bedugul

Bedugul Botanical Garden, Ulun Danu Beratan Temple, Sekumpul Waterfall

Stay at Bedugul

Day 5 (26th Feb) - Reach Sidemen

See countryside and rice fields

Stay overnight

Day 6 (27th Feb) - Reach Kuta/ Legian

Go to Tanah Lot

Beaches

Day 7 (28th Feb) - take flight to Yogyakarta in afternoon ~2:30 PM

Day 8 (1st March) - Yogyakarta

Day 9 (2nd March)- Yogyakarta

Day 10 (3rd March) - Yogyakarta

Day 11 (4th March) - return flight from Yogyakarta morning

1) Is this too cramped or this can be done at a normal pace?

2) Are missing something major in Bali? Some particular must visit place of beach?

3) If too cramped or if we are missing something major in Bali, what should we remove? Sidemen on day 5?

4)How do we reach Denpasar to Ubud? A private taxi or a bus? Are cabs decently priced?

5) Reaching Tanah Lot - It is a bit oddly placed and I don't see any other place to visit near it. Should it be visited from Legian/ Kuta, or some other place? Anything else in its vicinity to see?

6) I saw a place Munduk on some blog. Would you suggest removing Sidemen and keep that day for Munduk, which is near Bedugul?

Edited: 3:52 am, February 01, 2018
Reply to: 7 days itinerary for Bali and Yogyakarta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yogyakarta Region