We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafe Scene in Jakarta

Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Topic
Cafe Scene in Jakarta

Hello all,

Was told to start a new topic and here I am. In the previous thread, I saw that one of the forum members went cafe hopping around Senopati and PIK (which I assume are neighbourhoods/areas??). I am rather interested in the cafe scene in Jakarta. Having been to Jakarta once, I only saw restaurants in upscale shopping malls such as Plaza Indonesia and Grand Indonesia during my previous visits. I would like to explore the cafe scene there. Is it different from those in Singapore? Also, are the food preparation in cafes clean?

Btw, I will be staying at Hotel Mulia Senayan this time round. My purpose of visit is to do minimal sightseeings and just explore the malls, cafes, hang out with friends etc...

Thank you.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,708 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cafe Scene in Jakarta

1/ <<TWG Cafe in Plaza Senayan? >>

YES, that`s the correct name of the place.

2/ For red velvet ( and yellow velvet), you can check:

http://www.harvestcakes.com/

Simply DIVINE and best in the world, no kidding............

3/ and you are most welcome..........

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
186 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cafe Scene in Jakarta

I think the bus-looking cafe that you're referring to is Locale24 located in Pantai Indah Kapuk. Just opened a couple of months ago and they have a green bus as their facade. The concept is interesting but then, quality of food there is nothing much to shout about. Imho, I will not travel all the way there if I were to stay in Senayan.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,134 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cafe Scene in Jakarta

Too make you overwhelmed with more choices, you can go to Setiabudi Building (there's a branch of Anomali Coffee here) or try the newly opened Street Gallery in Pondok Indah Mall.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
828 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cafe Scene in Jakarta

Just passed Anomali cafe in Senopati this evening. The parking lot is full. So it must be popular. Will pay a visit at better time.. *love coffee*

Btw, I saw JJ Royal signage in Ciputra World. They make premium single-origin Indonesian coffees. Anyone tried ?

Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Cafe Scene in Jakarta

Schonefeld- Does the TWG branch in Jakarta differs from the ones in SIN? If I'm not wrong, prices are slightly cheaper? Great, I'll definitely check out The Harvest!

j_herliani- Thanks, I just did a Google search and it seems to be the exact one I saw in the photo. Have you visit the cafe before? If that's the case, then I guess I'll give it a miss :(

radjaff- I realized that there's 4 Anomali outlets in Jakarta.. Since I'll be staying at Hotel Mulia Senayan, which outlet do you think will be the most accessible? I guess it'll be a great substitute to my usual doze of Starbucks! Thank you!

Arsu_12- I saw JJ Royal coffee for sale in major supermarkets on my previous trip to Jakarta. Do you mean that they have actually opened a specialty store in Ciputra World?

Edited: 11:16 am, November 19, 2013
Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,023 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cafe Scene in Jakarta

Hi Berverly P,

Yes. Do check out The Harvest. On Schonefeld and radjaff's recommendation, I went to The Harvest. Unfortunately, the one near Gandaria City (nearest to Senayan) is not a cafe. But the cakes were devine. Also do try their ice creams. Delicious....

Enjoy!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
828 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cafe Scene in Jakarta

Hi Beverly

>>Arsu_12- I saw JJ Royal coffee for sale in major supermarkets on my previous trip to Jakarta. Do you mean that they have actually opened a specialty store in Ciputra World?

Yes there is a big signage in front of it (seen from the street). I didn't check myself, I am not sure if it is a special outlet or cafe...probably will check it in coming days (has other things to do there..)

Edited: 8:33 pm, November 19, 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,134 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cafe Scene in Jakarta

I went to Ciputra World last week. JJ Royal Brasserie (http://brasserie.foodiehabit.com/) is a restaurant focusing on single origin coffee, but I didn't try them. For something similar to Harvest but with attached cafe selling western food & coffee, you can go to Cheese Cake Factory (www.chzcakefactory.com).

The closest Anomali Coffee from Mulia I think is either in Senopati or Setiabudi Building. Other local coffee chain is Bakoel Koffie (www.bakoelkoffie.com), it's one of the oldest chain here. They have a branch in Senopati too.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,708 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cafe Scene in Jakarta

Harvest outlet in Senopati does have sitting/ eating area ( not huge), but you can sample cakes, chokolades, ice creams and some drinks selection on the spot......and they have absolutely GORGEOUS interior, highly recommended to haver a look! And it` located few steps from Amonali.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
828 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Cafe Scene in Jakarta

Checked JJ Royal Brasserie, it's a cafe with ultra modern design (I guess). The interior doesnt suit to my taste.. The chairs are white transparent thing with some decoration in it, looks plasticky. The interior designer may aim for something but doesn't work for me.. Didnt try the coffee but I am pretty sure as good as the canned version.