We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Jakarta

Singapore, null...
4 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in Jakarta

I planned to bring my kids for shopping to Jakarta but as this is my first time after more than 10 years visiting Indonesia, can anyone recommend a good shopping place and most convenient hotel for me. My kids are basically looking for caps, t-shirts and teenage stuff I guess. For myself, I think shoes and more shoes, handbags, clothes etc etc. Ladies stuff.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Jakarta

Hi Sue1809,

Having only stayed at apartments whenever I am in Jakarta, I am unable to recommend any hotel to you. But I am sure the local DEs will jump in with their recommendations soon.

However, I would recommend going to Senayan Plaza for your shopping. This is my hunting ground whenever I am in Jakarta. There are lots of small shops such as Billabong, Ripcurls, etc. and for yourself there are Metro and Sogo department stores. You can also find Ya Kun at the foodcourt on the 3rd Floor iirc and Coffee Beans & Tea Leaf outlet on the ground floor. Be warned that if you are like me, one day is not enough for shopping at Senayan Plaza. ;o))

Another mall you may want to check out is PIM - Pondok Indah Mall.

Happy planning!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Jakarta

You can read more about shopping scene in Jakarta by reading the following article. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294229-s405/Jakarta:…

For just a common teenage stuff and midrange clothing, almost every midscale malls in Jakarta would have the stores that your kids might be looking for. For a start, those in Central jakarta is worth a visit; including Grand Indonesia and Plaza Indonesia. Other shopping spot is at Senayan with at least 3 malls worth a visit: PLaza Senayan, Senayan City, and Pacific Place.

Moving further south is Gandaria City and Pondok Indah Mall, but beware going to these malls on rush hours and weekends will get you stuck in traffic jam for hours.

Other place to focus is at West Jakarta: Taman Anggrek Mall and Central Park mall are two of the must-visit.

Now hotel: how much is exactly your budget? For your convenience, try find something in Central Jakarta.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,159 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Jakarta

Sue1809,

This forum is a great place to collect valuable information to plan your stay in the JKT City. You will meet people from different places - locals and visitors from different countries - all willing to share with you their knowledge and experience of this destination.

Note these contributors are volunteering to spend some of their time to provide hints, tips and advices so you can enjoy your stay. Please feel free to squeeze a small "Hello" and "Thanks" in your questions; this would be greatly appreciated and won't take you much of your time.

Jakarta, Jakarta...
Level Contributor
42 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Jakarta

Hi Sue,

welcome back to Indonesia. beside above advices, also if you want to try local shopping places, try to go to ITC Mangga Dua & pasar pagi Mangga Dua, You will deal with bargain price, try to bargain about 70% discount or more :D or, go to blok A tanah abang. it is the biggest for ladies clothes, bags, etc. but at blok A tanah abang, you must buy at least 3 pcs / item.... and you will get more discount. Blok A actually is for buyers all store in Indonesia. Beware of pickpocket in this places, so many people there.

For Mangga Dua you can stay at le grandeur hotel or Ibis Mangga Dua. you can walk from hotel to those shopping place.

For Tanah Abang, you can stay at Ibis Tamarin or thamrin area, or Millenium hotel (slipi area)

Happy Shopping :)

Singapore, null...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Jakarta

Thanks Hargiyanto,

First of all, pls accept my apology for forgetting my manners. should have said my hellos and thanks in my post. Do excuse me as it was my first time posting a question.

My colleague did recommend me to stay at Le Grandeur as it is closer to Mangga Dua. I did have lots of ppl telling me of Mangga dua and Tanah abang as a must shopping in Jakarta. Ha ha..now Im so excited ..waiting for my trip to happen.

One thing i must say..you guys here are so friendly and made me feel so welcome. Thank you. I do hope my trip to Jakarta will have plenty of wonderful memories of such wonderful and friendly ppl.

Singapore, null...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Jakarta

To Singapore Nancy... wow didnt know they have Yakun in Jakarta..he he..i will feel right at home I guess. Thank you for your tips. Much appreciated :)

Singapore, null...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Jakarta

A million thanks to Cirque and Schonefeld. Will read up more and try to check out which hotel will be the most convenient for us to stay as..the most important thing.. i truly have to avoid the jams as much as possible. U know how cranky kids get..keep asking if we're there yet or not.

8. Re: Shopping in Jakarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 30, 2014