We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Jakarta and places to visit

Miami
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Jakarta and places to visit

Hi I would be staying in Jakarta for 2 days around Oct 15 2012..

I would like to know how is the weather at that time.

I am looking for a hotel in a safe neighborhood that it is easy to walk at night for restaurans and also to move easy around for to visiting Jakarta's tourist attractions.during the day.

Beside the National Museum and Old Jakarta any other recommendation place I should vist?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Jakarta and places to visit

Jakartans do not walk, most of them rely on private cars and the less fortunate use public transport (in all sort of shapes). Thus, it's hard to imagine if there's a place where you can walk from one another (if there is, it only covers few hundred meters). Just to set your expectation before arriving. For tourists, you can rely on metered cab (all cabs are like that btw) to move around.

Weather in October: rainy but still majority of the days will be cloudy. So the feel is still hot & humid all year long.

Hotel: depending on your budget, find accommodation in Central Jakarta. There are wide range of accommodation, from 2-star to lavish 5-star. including serviced apartment (if you prefer more space)

Attractions: what is your interest first of all? You can check out list of attractions in Jakarta on TripAdvisor tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294229-Activiti…

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,076 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Jakarta and places to visit

Just to confirm what Cirque said, that kind of atmosphere that you mention does not really exist in Jakarta. Even the nicer neighborhoods like Menteng do not have shopping and cafe streets for strolling at night like the US does.

You might look at the Grand Hyatt or other hotels in Menteng area which are attached to shopping malls where there is security and good footing and lighting.

In old Jakarta I presume you mean Fatahillah and the puppet museum, Textile Museum, etc ? Plus the National Museum, I think in two days that would be your highlights. Traffic is terrible so you cannot expect to do too much each day.

If you have lots of time you might think about Taman Mini but it's not that special and a bit far away. In any case, only take Blue Bird Group taxis...they are by far the best.

One of the reasons Bali and Jogja are so popular is that it's much more conducive to tourist visits and there are a lot of cultural things to see and do. I presume you are there on business?

Miami
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Jakarta and places to visit

Thank you Ubudpuppy

Thank for your quick response

For hotel I was thinking of staying at the JW Marriott.

Is that neighboor kind of centrally located?

I will be there afull day. Should I rely on moving by taxi or should I try to hire a taxi for a whole day? Would it be easy to get taxis from old town back to the hotel?

I am kind of an adventurous guy but my concern is more with my way to communicate with the taxi drivers. Hopefully they will understand me!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Jakarta and places to visit

JW Marriott's location is not really for leisure. It's a good choice if you want to collect reward points.

For the same class, I recommend Mandarin Oriental Jakarta, Grand Hyatt Jakarta, or Kempinski Hotel Indonesia as alternatives. These three are centrally located, especially the latter two are adjacent to shopping malls, bringing extra convenience.

If you'd like to have English-speaking taxi driver (with good English, not just a barely-make-it English), stick to the black fleet of taxi called Silver Bird. All 5-star hotel lobby has this executive taxi on standby on their lobby. Their meter fare are 30% more expensive than regular taxi, but you can't get wrong with this taxi.

From old town area, it is basically easy to hail a taxi (regular taxis) and in case taxi driver don't know how to speak English, they know the hotel by its name, so I don't think it's necessary to hire taxi for a day.

Miami
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Jakarta and places to visit

Thank you

for your help and information.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Jakarta and places to visit

In case you're a Starwood Hotels member, there is also a new hotel just next to Grand Hyatt called Keraton at The Plaza starwoodhotels.com/luxury/… it is a smaller property than Grand Hyatt, but feature same full amenities. Also adjacent to shopping mall.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
30 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Jakarta and places to visit

your last hope for walking neighbourhood is probably in Kemang, South Jakarta.

It's basically an expat area, so lots of restaurants, cafes, pubs, and specialty shops. almost everybody understands simple english and most places open till late at night.

gran kemang hotel is located in the middle of Kemang and taxis are always easy to get.

on the minus side : it is quite far from the museum area in Central Jakarta, and the traffic can be quite painful.

on the plus side :

- it is within easy access to the toll road to Bogor, so you can visit other museums there (the Presidential Palace, the botanical gardens & zoology museum)

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
13 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Jakarta and places to visit

JW Marriott is good if you like heavy traffic especially with flyover construction nearby.

The 4 hotels circling the roundabout are:

- The Starwood's Keraton: i feel the room is confusing and not inviting (probably) because it was a conversion of a condo. Connecting to a mall and Grand Hyatt

- Grand Hyatt: well, Hyatt is Hyatt

- Kempinski is good but one of the wing with standard rooms have low ceilings. Connected to a huge mall.

- Mandarin Oriental is probably the sexiest hotel in town. Stand alone hotel.

Other hotel to recommend, bit more expensive (still, Jakarta is cheap) is the Ritz-Carlton Pacific Place, good location.

9. Re: Hotel in Jakarta and places to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, December 16, 2013