We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jakarta to Bali - flights and timing

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jakarta to Bali - flights and timing

Hi - we arrive from NYC to Jakarta at 7:50pm (19:50) and need to get to Dempasar that evening. How long will it take us to get our bags, get through customs etc. and then get to the domestic carriers? In other words, how much time should I leave between arrival in Jakarta and take off to Dempasar? Also, any suggestions on airlines? Thanks!

New York
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jakarta to Bali - flights and timing

I should add that we are flying Cathay Pacific from NYC to Jakarta.

New York
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jakarta to Bali - flights and timing

One more related question - we are flying out of Jakarta (via Cathay Pacific) at 8:20am. If we fly from Yogyakarta and arrive in Jakarta 7:05am, would that give us enough time to get the 8:20am flight, or should we take the flight from Yogyakarta to Jakarta the evening before?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jakarta to Bali - flights and timing

It's all depending on which domestic airlines you use. For the tight connection, I only recommend Garuda Indonesia as its domestic operations is using the same terminal as other international flights in Jakarta. Adding some more, Cathay Pacific don't interline with Garuda's domestic network. so either way, you need to consider time to re-check-in for every occasion.

For your arrival into Jakarta: spare at least 2-3 hours transit time, buy the domestic ticket in advance. Just prior to your arrival, present yourself at transfer desk to check-in for your domestic flight.

For your departure from Jakarta: 1 hour 15mins is a bit tight connection. I suggest to take the later's CX flight or fly the evening before and spend the night at hotel nearby airport.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,522 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jakarta to Bali - flights and timing

1/ Have at least 2-3 hours for transit in CGK

2/ If i were you i would never choose CGK as a connection point on the way to DPS. For future you better plan your trip via SIN, KUL or BKK.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jakarta to Bali - flights and timing

Have to ask - why not fly from HKG to DPS on CX - they fly that route every day

but 3 hours International to domestic at CGK and about the same Domestic to International as they bags will not interline and you will need to claim them then recheck in '

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jakarta to Bali - flights and timing

<<Have to ask - why not fly from HKG to DPS on CX - they fly that route every day>>

Second to that.. Cathay Pacific flies direct to Bali from Hong Kong.. Less hassle of transiting in Jakarta for you..:)

Cheers

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,522 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jakarta to Bali - flights and timing

<<<<Have to ask - why not fly from HKG to DPS on CX - they fly that route every day>>>>

It was my first thought too..

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jakarta to Bali - flights and timing

Flying into Jakarta on Cathay Pacific doesn't make sense if you are planning on flying to Bali straight away...As others have said, Cathay flies direct to Bali, and the Jakarta airport is a mess.

For your flight from Jogja to Jakarta, I would give it much more time in between, so maybe plan on staying overnight in Jakarta. Or, even plan to fly from Jogja back to Bali (1 hour 15 minute flight) and then take the Cathay flight from Bali onwards.

9. Re: Jakarta to Bali - flights and timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:41 am, June 19, 2013