We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

Hello

I'm reading conflicting reports on the safety of the train between Jakarta and Bogor. I can handle the situation of pick pockets and have no great concern there. However I'm wondering if it gets worse than that? I can handle it if such incidents are very rare but would obviously be more concerned if it wasn't that rare. I am a male and will be travelling with two other males all in our 40's. I ask because we would really rather have the train journey than hire a car and a driver. I love looking out of the windows of trains and watching life go by, but don't think it would be that nice if I'm too tense with concern for our safety and that of our belongings.

Any clarification on this would be most welcome. Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

Apologies - meant to write Bogor.

Durham, North...
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
888 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

Well, it would be a lie if I said I didn't hear of any incidents on these trains, but you should not worry. My advice - do not book the Ekonomi train (the cheapest one) but the Ekonomi AC or Ekspres, even though there are less of them. First of all, the trains are sometimes extremely congested and images of people travelling on the roof, like in India, are pretty common when it doesn't rain. Second of all, pick pockets. However, just make sure you keep your backpack or whatever luggage you have, in front of you. Keep your pockets empty, or keep your hands in the pockets.

Still, when I lived in Jakarta, I knew 3 European girls in their early twenties who travelled on this route at least once a week for quite some time, also in the evening, in the cheapest class and they were just fine, nothing ever happened to them apart from people staring, which is rather common everywhere in Java, or sometimes harassing verbally, in case they wouldn't like their attire. This is very rare however, especially when it comes to foreigners. Many Indonesian fellow-passengers would react to that, also it's quite possible they would warn you of pick-pocketers.

So, overall, if this is not your first time in South-East Asia, and you're not too accustomed to package-holidays, you should definitely take the train, this is the fastest option to get you to Bogor and it's cheap too.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

@Pawel_Ch

Thank you very much for taking the time out to reply. Your words have offered me the re-assurance that I needed. I will definitely wear my day pack to the front of me. I will also be looking towards taking the express train. Thanks also for pointing out that there's fewer express trains. Much appreciated.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

<<I love looking out of the windows of trains and watching life go by, but don't think it would be that nice if I'm too tense with concern for our safety and that of our belongings.>>

You are wrong in this aspect. Train service between Jakarta and Bogor is considered a commuter service and during rush hours, things can turn ugly: people are shoving each other just to get into the train itself. There is no chance for you to get a comfy seat and looking out the window (the seats are facing each other in long bench, not the forward facing seat and the chance to look at the window to see scenery means you have to move around your body and it will obstruct the capacity for another passengers. Being a commuter myself, I did not have the opportunity to experience the "watching from the train window" part most of the time...

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

Hello cirque

Oh dear, that doesn't sound too good if I can't get to sit and look out of the window. Takes all the pleasure away. Do you know if all the express services are at rush hour periods only or could I take a quieter service during the day?

Regards.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
6. Re: Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

The train operator is in the measure to phase out all express service. What is left is all-regular service at fixed intervals or economy service (non AC). The commuter (regular) service is scheduled every 20-30minutes, but the best chance to take this is from Manggarai station. I think you won't be having much problem to travel even during rush hours as you are travelling in opposite direction (morning from Jakarta to Bogor) whereby most commuters will travel on the other direction. However, you should really listen carefully on any announcement (all in Indonesian) as there is lack of information board etc.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

Hello again cirque

Oh that's better news. It didn't occur to me that I'd be travelling in the opposite direction to the commuter traffic. I'm not sure even listening carefully is going to help me regarding any announcement though, as I'll not understand a word they are saying. Never mind, we will give the train a go anyway. It'll be a mini adventure.

Thanks once again for your assistance.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
41,751 posts
86 reviews
8. Re: Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

<<Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?>>

A train with torn doors and broken windows.... are you kidding?????

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
9. Re: Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

Since you are going to give it a go, I'd recommend to always ask to the guard/officer which tear your ticket; ask him the platform location, what time is the next train, etc. Also, make sure that you get into the right train, commuter line train has aircon whilst economy train does not have aircon, The economy train is always packed to the brim no matter the direction of destination and time of the day. Also, keep your tickets at all times with you as it will need to be shown for inspection during the ride and at the end of the ride.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
10. Re: Train from Jakarta to bogor - is it safe?

Thanks for the extra bits of information cirque. We will certainly do some checking and double checking with the guard to ensure we are on the right train. We will avoid economy. We have 3 nights and two full days in Jakarta. We will establish the timetable, which platform etc on our first day while touring around the city, and then go to Bogor the next day. Thanks.

@ Schonefeld

Not sure if your kidding or not, but we are fairly determined to go by train. Hopefully all will be well on the day.