We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

mornington peninsula
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

Hi,

we will be flying from Singapore/Jakarta return in June and I will have with me a longboard surfboard of 2.8m in length.

After searching various airlines SIA will include surfboard with laggage allowance, Lufthansa cheap but surfboard $$$.

I have not considered low cost airlines to date.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

I don't think LCC (low cost carrier) will carry your bulky equipment for free

Some of them:

1. AirAsia will charge a sport equipment fee of SGD25 (for Singapore-Jakarta sector) for up to 15kg (the carrier does not charge by size, but by weight).

2. Jetstar ONLY allowed bulky items of maximum 1.9meters on their A320 (which is used on Singapore-Jakarta sector) and the charge is included in the baggage allowance fee. So no hope they are willing to carry your longboard.

3. Tiger Airways will charge SGD30 for oversized sports equipment (must be booked online) or you will be charged excess baggage fee if you don't pre-purchase it. However, it does not mention on what kind of oversized equipment is allowed.

4. Other Indonesian carrier (Lion Air, Batavia Air, Sriwijaya Air) does not mention about sports equipment baggage, but usually it's already included in the 20kg baggage allowance (more than that, you have to pay excess baggage fee).

My suggestion:

Since you're bringing bulky sports equipment (especially if you're flying all the way from your hometown to Indonesia via Singapore); I suggest to stick on 1 carrier (or choose the one which have checked-through facility) to ease you from facing the fuss of extra baggage charges.

mornington peninsula
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

Thankyou for your quick reply.

We have already purchased Jetstar tickets from Aus. to Singapore but we are able to change them so it may be worth considering using them for a future trip..

I'll check Singapore Air-melbourne to Jakarta return.

Thanks,

Michael

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

It's better if you can find a seat with SQ.

My experience with Jetstar has never been a pleasant one. Moreover, since you're connecting between Jetstar Australia (JQ) and Jetstar Asia (for Singapore-Indonesia is operated by Valuair or VF), they don't do check-through since basically both are different companies (they don't do interlining despite being under the same brand).

Qantas do allow sporting equipment, but in case of your longboard surfboard, it must be transported as freight (Qantas surfboard limit is 277cm).

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,117 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

All above said is true - while having a bulky checked luggage yo have to consider not only ticket fare but also your luggage options/ costs.

More than that I also believe that your destination point is not JKT, but Bali or Lombok so additional transport also has to be taken into consideration.

Garuda???

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

Garuda Indonesia allow sporting equipment to be transported as part of checked-bag allowance (the first 15kg is free, but more than that will be charged according to excess baggage rates).

However, they only fly non-stop between Jakarta to Melbourne 3 times a week with somewhat more expensive return fare than SQ offers.

Edited: 1:16 am, January 24, 2011
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,117 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

i offered Garuda as local carrier, not for international flight.

mornington peninsula
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

Tthanks for your replies.

We are heading to south west Java with a 7-8 hour overland transfer from Jakarta.

We will spend a fews nights in Jakarta when we return, so we would like to know areas to stay with a friendly comfortable backpacker/locals mix.

I have searched Singapore flights from Melbourne and all looks good.

Thanks

Michael

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

The area you're looking for is in Central Jakarta. Do come back if you need accommodation recommendation (but state your budget).

Travel safe!

Paris
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

Many airlines surfboards policies are listed on surfboardscannotfly.com, that may help.

regarding carrier, does anybody have an idea of how much it would cost to send a longboard by freighter ?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling Singapore/Jakarta return with longboard (surfboard

Hi Masjoko,

To send a longboard by freighter, one should contact the shipping company directly. Another thing to consider is to consult on whether the company can send the longboard all the way from your origin to the final destination (i.e. have solid network).

Some airlines (of which you hold a valid ticket with) will offer you the freight alternative to transport your longboard (such as Qantas).