We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you feel safe travelling in Jakarta as foreigner?

Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Do you feel safe travelling in Jakarta as foreigner?

I want to take my fiance to Jakarta for a visit. I have some family there. But he's very concern about safety because of the recent bombing in Bali. If you're American or Westerner, how do you feel reagrding travel to Jakarta at this moment? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
1. Re: Do you feel safe travelling in Jakarta as foreigner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:47 pm, November 18, 2005
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you feel safe travelling in Jakarta as foreigner?

Hey Thallgirl. I was travelling in Java last year when the Australian Embassy was bombed,which was rather close to home considering I am an Aussie. Let me just say that at no time did I feel threatened. In fact the amount of locals who approached me and apologized that it could happen to their country, in the name of their religion, was overwhelming. I would have to say that the people in Java are the friendliest people of any country I have travelled to. The bottom line is that if your fiance is nervous, avoid place where Westerners congregate. Being a local, you should be able to find plenty of such places. I am visiting Jakarta in December to plan my wedding, and whilst there are some concerns, I really only have to look in my own backyard for terrorists, considering 15 were arrested last week on terror charges in Australia.I am also coming back in April to marry my beloved, and none of my Aussie friends feel threatened enough to come to the wedding. To be honest, your chances of being caught in a terror attack are considerably less than hurting yourself in a car accident in Jakarta. Take some precautions, but not to the detriment of your enjoyment of your vacation. What the terrorists really want is to create fear, and if we fear, we have handed them their sick victory with out a fight. By the way, I visited Manila a few years ago, and it was there that I felt trully frightened. Never before have i seen poverty, corruption on such a scale, and worst of all they have a gun culture that would make Americans proud. Jakarta is like Switzerland compared to Manila. I hope you can convince your fiance to visit, and hopefully my words might smooth some your fears. If you would like to know more you can contact me at camcuzza@hotmail.com, and i am happy to answer any of your fiances questions. I hope you have a great trip.

Cam

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you feel safe travelling in Jakarta as foreigner?

Hey Thallgirl. I was travelling in Java last year when the Australian Embassy was bombed,which was rather close to home considering I am an Aussie. Let me just say that at no time did I feel threatened. In fact the amount of locals who approached me and apologized that it could happen to their country, in the name of their religion, was overwhelming. I would have to say that the people in Java are the friendliest people of any country I have travelled to. The bottom line is that if your fiance is nervous, avoid place where Westerners congregate. Being a local, you should be able to find plenty of such places. I am visiting Jakarta in December to plan my wedding, and whilst there are some concerns, I really only have to look in my own backyard for terrorists, considering 15 were arrested last week on terror charges in Australia.I am also coming back in April to marry my beloved, and none of my Aussie friends feel threatened enough to come to the wedding. To be honest, your chances of being caught in a terror attack are considerably less than hurting yourself in a car accident in Jakarta. Take some precautions, but not to the detriment of your enjoyment of your vacation. What the terrorists really want is to create fear, and if we fear, we have handed them their sick victory with out a fight. By the way, I visited Manila a few years ago, and it was there that I felt trully frightened. Never before have i seen poverty, corruption on such a scale, and worst of all they have a gun culture that would make Americans proud. Jakarta is like Switzerland compared to Manila. I hope you can convince your fiance to visit, and hopefully my words might smooth some your fears. If you would like to know more you can contact me at camcuzza@hotmail.com, and i am happy to answer any of your fiances questions. I hope you have a great trip.

Cam

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Jakarta
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you feel safe travelling in Jakarta as foreigner?

There are all sorts of warnings about terrorists targets in Jakarta....news out is that they have found plans regarding the use of hand grenades as their latest weapon and will target Westerners stuck in traffic. Also along Jl Rasuna Said in the business district has many locations earmarked..as per information obtained by the Jakarta authorities. Bars, restaurants and hotels all over Jakarta have been listed as a potential target. These guys are creepy. I would cancel my trip until all of this is cleared.

East Lansing
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you feel safe travelling in Jakarta as foreigner?

HI Thallgirl. There's nothing to worried about. After all, we all have to watch ourself every where we go. Jakarta is a big city, so people are more open minded. Especially if you go to the hottest spot in Jakarta, they will welcome you. Enjoy your trip!

Netherlands
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you feel safe travelling in Jakarta as foreigner?

Hello, We have been travelling Jakarta for almost 7 years and every year we went to Indonesie. In the summertime or wiht

Christmas time. I have also family in Indonesia. But we my family ( 2 adults and 4 children)we are not afraid. We are feeling that we are at home. Because the people are very friendly and help us out with many things. I think you have to be yourself when you are visiting any foreign country. And know that the people have there own things and problems. But we had never , never had any problems! Just accept the people who they are. We visit Jakarta, Bali, Sulawesi, Surabya and so on. But just be yourself and accept each other. And be patient.

Because we are quest in their country!

God bless you!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you feel safe travelling in Jakarta as foreigner?

Hi Thallgirl

If you have family there you will have no worries, but even if you didn't you still needn't worry. I have been to Bandung many times, and there have never been any problems.

There are many people living in Jakarta who travel to Bandung for the food and clothing, but there is also plenty to see, The Peak is a good place to visit, as well as the active volcano. While you are at the peak, it is a good idea to have a look at the housing estates. That is where you will see some luxury homes.

One place I can reccommend is the the cafe Bale in North Bandung, as the food is very good.

Near the entrance to the volcano, on your left hand side, on a bend is another good place to have a meal. If you like your fruiit fresh, as well as vegetables, Lambung is the place to go. It is on the way to the Peak,

Have a good time, you will enjoy it.

Mallee

Mentioned in this post
Bandung
Bandung
West Java, Indonesia