We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at 9PM in JKT==>Take the Argo Dwipangga at 8AM?

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paris
Level Contributor
97 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at 9PM in JKT==>Take the Argo Dwipangga at 8AM?

Hello,

I am preparing my trip to Indonesia in April 2010 and can not find the correct answer to my questions although there are allready many topics on this forum about train from Jakarta to Yogyakarta.

Here is the picture:

I will arrive at JKT aiport around 9PM from Paris. I would like to take the Argo Dwipangga train to Yogyakarta leaving from Gambir station at 8AM in the next morning. (I do not want to take a plane)

I understand that no tickets can be purchased in advance outside Indonesia.

Here are my questions:

- Since we can purcahse tickets 30 days in advance, is there a way to purchase train tickets through a local travel agency or through our hotel?

- If not, will I be able to purchase tickets on the same day and how much time in advance do I need to take in order to purchase my train ticket on the day of departure ie before 8AM?

Thank you very much!

Florent

Edited: 9:16 am, December 29, 2009
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at 9PM in JKT==>Take the Argo Dwipangga at 8AM?

Hi Florent,

Yes you're right about getting a train ticket.

While you're still in Paris, here's what you can (possibly) do:

1. Ask the hotel concierge on whether they can make arrangement on this. If yes, this could mean less hassle for you.

2. Buy through appointed agent. The list is available at PT. Kereta Api Indonesia website http://infoka.kereta-api.com/informasi/index.php?to_path=/informasi/index.php&id_con=9&subcat=tips+perjalanan&ch_lang=en

The one based in Jakarta has telephone city code of 021. Mind you that most of it are small travel agents, so you should ask properly on the procedure.

3. In low season (April can be considered, except when there is public holiday) it's possible to purchase on the date of departure. Spare around 90mins before scheduled departure to get yourself familiarize with train system in Indonesia (warning: poor signage, almost no electronic train info board - you need to keep alert on when and where the train will depart)

At train station, usually the counter to buy intercity ticket will be separated from the common counter use to buy commuter ticket. If you need to ask around, I strongly suggest to only ask the train station staff (usually wearing light-blue-shirt).

Tips: beware of touts at airport (to get you taxi) and train station (to buy train ticket, also get you a taxi). They might seem helpful at first, but when it comes for you to buy ticket/other service from them, you'll be overcharged excessively.

Hope that'll help.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
939 posts
1,003 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at 9PM in JKT==>Take the Argo Dwipangga at 8AM?

Hi,

You should be fine to get a ticket on the day, especially if your arrival date is on a weekday. A percentage of tickets is held back for sale on the day of departure so it really should be fine. Tickets go on sale 3 hours before departure.

The window for same day departure sales is at the southern end of Gambir station, on the left hand side.

I think trying to deal with an agent would be more trouble than it is worth.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
46,950 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at 9PM in JKT==>Take the Argo Dwipangga at 8AM?

IMO the idea to contact a hotel concierge in order to purchase tickets for you sounds sane. Yet do not expect much help and service in this area unless you stay in 5 star or international chin hotel (and you gave your credeit card details in advance). Even in this case all sort of complications / misconceptions are possible - wrong person, new staff, lost note, wrong date, info passed to the wrong hands etc.

So if you even get the confirmed help from your future hotel of choice there is a strong possibility that you will go and buy tickets by yourself the next morning.

Contacting travel agent is too much hassle, fully agree with Camsesn.

Availability should not be a problem, local people prefer planes (if they can afford it) or bus (the cheapest option).

Paris
Level Contributor
97 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at 9PM in JKT==>Take the Argo Dwipangga at 8AM?

Thanks very much for these info. Since april is a relatively low season, I assume I can wait for a same day purchase if I come sufficiently enough in advance.

Thanks again!

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
939 posts
1,003 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at 9PM in JKT==>Take the Argo Dwipangga at 8AM?

Yeah, I would just be there by about 5:30 or 6.00 and take my chances.

6. Re: Arriving at 9PM in JKT==>Take the Argo Dwipangga at 8AM?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 29, 2010