We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menteng Area Hotels

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Menteng Area Hotels

Hello. 2 late 20s sisters who are visiting Jakarta...

We prefer to stay in the Menteng area, as apparently that is where things are happening. Can you recommend a hotel that will easily reach up-and-coming nightlife, such as buddha bar, social house, etc? That is where my friends are recommending us to go (if you can recommend others, feel free) My budget can be upto $100 a night, although something cheaper but good value is welcome. I am open to Formule 1 Menteng types, up to Crowne Plaza types (Although from what I understand, Crowne Plaza is in the "Golden Triangle", a business area, versus Menteng, a restaurant/residential area?). Is there like an Indonesian version of "Yelp"? A website where locals rate restaurants and nightlife? So I would know where the locals go, versus other tourists...

Thanks for your help!

X2\/Equinox
Bars & Clubs, Dance Clubs & Discos
Cutie Cats Cafe
Playgrounds, Theme Parks, Coffeehouses
Top Gun
Bars & Clubs
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Menteng Area Hotels

Hello there,

For budget conscious, Formule 1 Menteng is a good and solid choice.

Other than that, you can check out any hotels that is located along Jalan Wahid Hasyim. Backpackers hostels can be found at Jalan Jaksa, off Jalan Wahid Hasyim.

For 3-star choice: Ibis Tamarin, Ibis Arcadia, Hotel Akmani Jakarta (all three are nearby each other).

Sometimes, Ascott Jakarta (serviced apartment) do have promotion for around USD100 for their Studio Suite. It's located next door from Social House (it's located inside a shopping mall called Grand Indonesia).

Crowne Plaza is off if you just want to focus your visit to these area, but otherwise the hotel can be considered in line with Intercontinental Midplaza. But again, it will require taxi ride to get around.

To travel around the area, you can simply catch a cab, use motorized trishaw (we called it 'bajaj') or use busway system.

There is a local version of 'Yelp', but it's all written in Bahasa Indonesia. Other than that, you can check out review on TripAdvisor, ask in this forum, or to many Jakarta restaurant & lifestyle periodicals on the internet, one of them is Jakarta Java Kini http://www.jakartajavakini.com/ where you can find restaurant listings (some with review)

P.S. some clubbing scene can also be found at Senayan (that's a mere 10mins from Crowne Plaza) and Kemang (popular hangouts for the rich and expats).

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,138 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Menteng Area Hotels

Dear Orange028,

Are you sure you do not confuse Jakarta with some other city in SEA????

And Menteng is not that HAPPENING place as you picture it, the residential place - yes, dining - yes, entertainment - hardly so!

If your budget allows you to stay in Crowne, do it. In Jakarta the proportion price-quality is a sure one. In Formula 1 there in no hot water tap.....

Provide yourself with decent accommodation as going into all the worst will bring you no good around here. And Formula 1 is not the bad one actually.....

And , please do not fancy the idea that we have some places to go *locals* and some *touristy traps*. Jakarta is not a tourist destination at all, so we all together locals and visitors find ourselves in the SAME places, same bars, clubs etc. The only objective and imperative - the place should be CLEAN, they must do dishes with the soap and their cook knows how to wash hands before work.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
948 posts
1,590 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Menteng Area Hotels

Cirque, I think it is very unlikely that the op is confusing is Jakarta with another city in S.E Asia if he/she is talking about Menteng.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
948 posts
1,590 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Menteng Area Hotels

Hi op,

As well as the Ibis Menteng, you could also consider the Ibis Cikini. It is located pretty close to Menteng.

You could also consder the hotel Sofyan (http://www.sofyanhotel.com/) .

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
948 posts
1,590 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Menteng Area Hotels

Sorry, it's not Cirque who is confused, but Schonefeld.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Menteng Area Hotels

thanks so much for all your input. i am certainly leaning towards crowne plaza, with it's price and type of hotel. it is kind of far from the restaurants i want to check out though, as i am more a foodie than a clubber. restaurants that has good food and where we can have a few drinks afterwards is the kind of place i want to check out. that's why my friends recommended menteng. it says on the map that is is around 10 minute drive from cp, so does that mean it will take me 30 mins to get there because of the notorious traffic? will that be an expensive cab ride?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Menteng Area Hotels

From Crowne Plaza to menteng area would generally takes 30mins (10mins is too confident, maybe could happen at midnight). You would see traffic jams during office hours as both location are squeezed in between business district. For the 30-min ride I mentioned, expect to pay taxi fare around Rp25,000 and up (less than USD3) one way.

Akmani Hotel is in that area (double from USD95nett/night)

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,138 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Menteng Area Hotels

If you are a foodie sort of visitor I would say Kemang will be the better option for you (far better than Menteng). The busiest restaurant area in Jakarta, all distances hotel-rest-hotel are walkable if you stay in one of Kemang hotels.

Grand Flora

Grand Kemang Hotel

Darmawangsa (not exactly in Kemang, but very close by)

-----------------------

Camsean, brother, today you seem a bit unfocused, busy night????

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Menteng Area Hotels

Kemang is located in/near Kebayoran Baru, my favorite area of Jakarta, more leafy & strategic than any other. I can easily recommend places to eat, cafes, shop in this area

Staying at the Grand Flora/Kemang will allow you a short walk or a minute taxi ride to nearby restaurants and clubs/lounges like Second Floor, 365 Eco Bar, Triple Nine 999. Moreover, these hotels not at all expensive (the clubbing are pricy, though. High alcohol tax in Indonesia)

My only concern is hotel in Indonesia's major cities may be packed this holiday season with Christmas and NYE coming. If you're visiting later this year, I'd suggest booking a hotel as soon as possible.

10. Re: Menteng Area Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 23, 2010