We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Alright lads!

I loved Jakarta so much when i visted in July that i booked again this time with my girlfriend. I land at 2pm new years day and i'm staying in the Shangri-La for 3 nights then heading to the Gilis and Bali. I was wondering if much happens on new years day or if you have any recommendations?

We'll be in the air for new year so wouldn't mind celebrating it when we land. I went to the stadium nightclub a couple of times last time and was thinking of going again later on in the evening but if you have any other suggestions i'd appreciate it.

Cheers!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Hi,

I would say not much will happen on new year's day. People usually held a celebration on the new year's eve, so the next day will start a bit slow. But all shopping activities will be open as usual, major recreation place will be packed with locals (e.g. Ancol Recreation Park, Ragunan Zoo, Miniature Park). So I recommend not to visit those places ON the new year's day. Most museums will be closed on public holidays.

For nightlife, you can try the more upscale clubs at Plaza Senayan (X2, Black Cat, etc), or Plaza Indonesia (Immigrant) which are more closer to Shangri-La and the area is definitely safer than stadium.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Shangri-La is sending out email blasts for its New Years party. You should check that out!!

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
943 posts
1,130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Hi,

Yeah new years day is fairly quite. Stadium has really gone off in the last year or so, so I'd try somewhere else. Maybe Millies, Crown, or Sands if the upmarket places recommended earlier don't appeal.

I would avoid places like Ancol like the plague as they will be packed to the rafters.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,831 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Shangri-La and other 5 star hotels as well will offer a SPECIAL NEW Year dinner with free flow of sparkling wine, red/ white wine/ beer etc.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Thanks for your help.

I've emailed the Shangri-la for details of their new year party. I'm assuming it is on new years DAY not eve? That would be good to chill out for a few hours in the hotel then drink them dry of free wine!!!

As for later on in the night i'm not into the 'upmarket' clubs. I prefer dirty, dark, dingy places with a bit of edge hence why i enjoyed Stadium. Millies, Crown, and Sands? Are these similar clubs??

Also, i was in Stadium in July and thought it was good....whys it gone down hill?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,831 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Ha-ha-ha

Yeahhhh, the hotel wine is NOT entirely free, though!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First you have to buy buffet dinner......

AS for Stadium.... well some people just love rat holes - and there are no friends in taste and color.

If you find the club OK for you in July, since then it hasn`t changed much.

Still same sh-t hole (or rat one). LOL

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
943 posts
1,130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Hi,

Yeah the places I mentioned are similar to Stadium. Stadium itself seems to have died off in popularity a little in recent months.

I think primarily because the ahh... 'snack food' has put a lot of people in hospital and even killed a couple. Because of this, police raids are now fairly frequent.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,831 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Exacly, Camsean, a sh-t hole.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Oh almost forgot... Recently, a TA visitor also got stuck in a police raid in the area and it was not a pleasant experience... But suit yourself...

JAKARTA
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jakarta New Years Day/Night

Try Jalan Jaksa ... - its an entire street dedicated to entertainment and drinks... for those who are on a budget ..