We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Jakarta

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Jakarta

We have 12 hours in Jakarta, coming in on a cruise ship. Any suggestions what we can do: points of interest, sightseeing? Are taxis available at the port?

Any help much appreciated. First time in Jakarta.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,571 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Jakarta

A cruise ship docked in Tanjung Priok will see the very unfortunate picture in front. The port area is the dirtiest and most criminalized part of the city.

The suggestions and recommendations depend on several moments...

1/ are you completely sure your liner is going to dock in Jakarta, as I`ve never heard about our city to be a part of any cruise march route?

2/ if so and the answer is YES, what day?? - weekend or weekday? If weekday, you are very unlucky as the traffic is ALWAYS a disaster on weekdays.

3/ Usually there is no taxi stand in the port area (what for?).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Jakarta

Itinerary says Jakarta.

We are there on a Saturday.

Taxi would be to take us to the city (out of the the port area) or to see the sights.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,571 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Jakarta

Saturday is rather OK from traffic point of view. Still I have serious doubts about taxi availability in Tanjung Priok area.

Second point - you have to pay for taxi in cash, IDR only - our taxi does not accept cards.

For tips what to do and see, please visit Jakarta things-to -do link.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294229-Activiti…

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Jakarta

I strongly recommend you to contact your cruise consultant directly on whether they have arrangement on Jakarta city tour. If they do, then follow what they have. It's easier that way (especially if you're not that familiar with the city).

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,571 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Jakarta

Indeed, my advice too (after Cirque) - join ANY organized excursion/ tour offered by your tour host. Any self activity in your case ii HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Jakarta

Thank you both for your replies. I get the impression Jakarta is not a safe place to visit. Perhaps we'll just stay on the ship for that day!!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Jakarta

Hi,

As an Australian who has wandered around jakarta by myself as a solo woman I would not say it is unsafe at all.

But to only have 12 hrs and to try to get around by yourself then that is not a good idea.

If you had a couple of days I would say do it your self, but with only 12 hrs you need something organised.

Jakarta is famous for her traffic jams, but the weekend is probably more bearable as thousands leave the city for other areas of Java to relax and re charge for the hectic week ahead in Jakarta.

Good Luck- I hope you have an enjoyable time there.

What date will you be in Jakarta?

Pamela

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Jakarta

thanks for your reply. now i understand better.

We'll be there on the 21st November.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Jakarta

I would be agree with pPamela. Jakarta like any other big cities in the world has its own share of crime but we can't say that JKT is unsafe indeed.

But for your conveniences, since you will only have 12 hrs stop, taking organized tour is better of for you and you will have a chance to see many things along the way. However, if you have anything very specific you wanted to see/do, you can shoot your question is, of course after browsing "Things to Do" section in the TA.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in Jakarta

Tanjung Priok area is far far away from the city center...

The only alternative, maybe you can take a taxi and go to Kelapa Gading area. There are many big malls there, i.e. Mall Kelapa Gading (5 in 1 malls), Mall Artha Gading, and the newest Mall of Indonesia / MOI which has indoor themepark.

If you want to kill time by shopping, Mall Kelapa Gading is a better choice, but if you bring kids, then MOI maybe should be considered.

I dunno is that a best option to do, but travelling aroud Jakarta in 12 hours is a mission impossible..