We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
155 posts
358 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

Hi again,

I hope you are all OK after the quake! Very, very sad for people affected by it, we're only getting bits & pieces of info, even online there hasn't been much of an update this afternoon. Our thoughts are with those affected.

Well, we're still coming over & I have some more questions for you. Firstly, I found a small amount of info on perahu penyeberangan, and a fascinating photo of the canals. I am wondering of anyone knows, please, whether/where we might be able to perhaps hire a perahu penyeberangan for an hour to explore the canals, please. I know it's not a typical tourist thing to do, but very different to home & very interesting & I think it would be great.

Next thing that I've searched for but not found is a driver with a 6 plus seater vehicle and a baby car seat for us to hire to go to Taman Safari and maybe Taman Mini, too. How hard/easy would this be to organise on the spot over there, do you think?

Next, would anyone know of a camping/fishing shop, please? I don't know whether that sort of thing might be made in Indonesia & therefore cheaper, or whether it would be impotred. We'd be looking at very light weight sleeping bags & river & beach fishing gear (sorry, not my area of expertise, that's my husbands & daughters area!).

Although I haven't read anything on it, I assume laundry is easy enough to get done outside the hotels, is it? Or should we be sending it to the hotel laundry & paying more? In Bali we usually send it out & it comes back beautifully folded & smelling wonderful for just a few dollars.

I would like to stock up on garam laut whilst we're there & I'm wondering if I should get up early & head to a morning market or whether there's somewhere else I could buy it? The Indonesian seasalt is so good to cook with & unlike anything here in Australia.

Lastly (for now) - if I happen to overshop (!), does anyone know, please whether Samsonite suitcases are readily available & whether the prices are reasonable. We have a luggage shop here in Sydney where I can pick up an oyster case for about <Rp 1,500,000(AU$170) and I'm thining maybe I should grab one before we leave.

That's all for now!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers

Sue

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

Hi Sue,

First of all, "perahu penyebrangan" is an Indonesian term for 'ferry vessel'. Besides, which canals are you referring to? Perhaps if you could pass us the info (from where you get it), we can proceed further to recommend you something.

P.S. Jakarta's rivers are very-very dirty.

You just want to hire for short term (i.e. just pick up and drop off) or for day use? If you only need bigger car for the former case, I'd recommend to check on taxi company that offer van service called Tiara Express www1.expressgroup.co.id/index.php… There are not much of the fleet crisscrossing the road, so advance reservation is necessary.

Again, there are imported stuff and local-made stuff. You can go to Pasaraya Grande departmental store in south Jakarta. They have pretty extensive selection on almost everything. You can also find these items (but not of much variety) in some department stores.

There are few laundry shops under a franchise chain such as Laundrette, Matinizing, 5-a-sec, etc. But I'm not sure if they can do the laundry in 1 day. You can spot one of these laundry counters in small kiosk, usually within the supermarket area in the shopping mall.

You can use hotel's laundry service, but as usual, it's overpriced and you need to pay the tax as well.

Garam laut: you can get this at local wet market. Some hypermarkets and supermarkets will also have it. If you prefer the block version, ask the store attendant for 'garam bata' (mind you, it's quite heavy).

Yes, there are Samsonite luggage at major department store and also Samsonite boutique (we also have Tumi, Delsey, etc). But again, as it's imported goods, prices are somewhat more expensive. But lately, lots of department stores are always having luggage fair/promotions. You can check out while you're in here, but I think the price will still be around Rp1,000,000 after discount for a standard luggage.

Jakarta and Around
Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

Hi Sue

For Camping Gear, Check out the local brand Eiger, www.eigeradventure.com, they have showroom in Atrium Mall and Citraland Mall , and outlet in any Gramedia Bookstore jakarta wide

Foreign brand such as Coleman can be found at any Ace hardware stores,

Cheers

PDW

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
155 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

Hi Cirque,

Thanks again for your answers. This is where I found the information on 'River Taxi's', it's right down the bottom of the page:

expat.or.id/info/traditionaltransport.html

Yes, I can imagine that the canals are quite dirty, but that's OK - it's so fascinating to see a different way of doing things & it would be great for the kids to see, too. The canals in Bangkok are very dirty, but gave us an amazing insight into the backwaters & way of life for some people.

Thanks & I'll check out Tiara express, as we really only do need a drop off & pick up for Taman Mini, but for Taman Safari I think we need a car to take us through.

Thanks also for the info on fishing gear, laundry & garam Laut. It sounds like the suitcase can be bought easily & for a good price, so I'll leave it till we get there. If I pack lightly enough for the trip over we may be able to get away with the 4 we have for the return trip.

Again, thanks so much for the help :o)

Sue

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
155 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

That's great, PDW, thanks very much for that, I'll check it out!

Cheers,

Sue

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

Hi Sue,

To be frank with you, I myself never try (and will never want) to try the perahu penyebrangan (we call it 'rakit' - pronounced 'rah-keet'). It's only can be found on small river to cross from one village (or kampung) to another place. But nowadays, it's very hard to see the perahu penyebrangan in the form of a boat as shown in the picture. Most common form is a raft (that's why we called it 'rakit' - Indonesian for raft). It's called perahu penyebrangan because the raft owner will need to pull string that he already assemble between two points across the river (again, it's rare to find the one where the owner paddle the boat) so that the boat is moving.

I give you few reasons why you're discouraged to try:

1. The river is very dirty and smelly.

2. It's only available in really slum area, so seeing a foreigner (Caucasian some more) will really attract attentions the people around.

3. Unlike in Bangkok, water transportation is not common in Jakarta. There has been some initial activity to restart canal-transportation, but it has been dismantled last year (after only in operation for few weeks). It proved unpopular to Jakartans.

4. Possibility you'll get rip off by the boat owner, moreover if you use it as photography/video object.

But if you insist to try it, there are some spots you can go to such as in Sunter (near Sunter lake) and Jelambar (in Angke river) in West Jakarta.

Tips: There is Ace Hardware store (as mentioned by PDW) in Pasaraya Grande basement level. Gramedia bookstore can be found at may malls, such as Plaza Semanggi, behind Crowne Plaza Jakarta.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
155 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

Hi Cirque,

Thanks once again for your advice & I understand your concerns, thank you. My husband and children wouldn't stand out too much as he's Samoan & everyone always thinks he's Indonesian when we're in Bali, and the kids look very much like him. Admittedly at 6 foot 2 and 110kg, he'd be considered a very big Indonesian ;o) Me on the other hand, well I stand out like a sore thumb as I'm very fair skinned & blonde.... So, maybe not such a good idea. Never mind, I was just looking for something really different to do!

Thanks once again :oP

Sue

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

Sure in Bali, Pacific Islanders won't stand out too much... But in Jakarta, we can differentiate native Javanese from Balinese easily... But that's not the main reason... It's just too risky (because it's only located at slum area - crime rate considerably high - and the water posses health problems).

I understand you want to try locals' activities. You can try to explore the city using our hectic busway system, but trying to risk your health (by trying the unique rakit ride) is just what most locals won't do ;p Hope you OK with it.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
155 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

Totally OK with it, thanks Cirque. And, yeah, most Balinese people thought that my hubby was from Java! I guess in Java they're not going to think that! Hahaha! Personally, I don't think he looks particularly Indonesian, but he's also mistaken for a local in Thailand and even once in Mexico! He must have a very generic look about him! Hahahaha! Personally, I jjust think he's gorgeous, but then I'm very biased ;o)

Cheers

Sue

Jakarta and Around
Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

Hi Cirque & Sue

Understand that in Sunda Kelapa Harbour, there is perahu similar like it that tourist may charter it to see around the traditional boat.

I think around Rp 50k per boat for 15 minutes ride. but you can bargain for lower price

Cheers

PDW

10. Re: Questions about perahu penyeberangan and shopping...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 04, 2010