We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
KL
13 posts
Save Topic
Family vacation

This time my sisters and in laws wanted to go back to Jakarta, putting me to be the organiser. There are 6 of us expceting to travel in April or May 2010. About to place flight and hotel booking within this week. They prefer a budget hotel that has easy access to Tanah Abang, Sukabumi, Senen and Monas. A place where public transport can be easily taken, or better within walking distance for some places to the hotel. We want to soak ourselves with shopping, reminiscing memories and moving around for unique arts one that we can't find back home. We expect to stay there for four days and three nights. Kindly suggest the appropriate hotel and itineraries. Is April or May a good season for vacationing? Is renting cars better than public transport?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation

One thing is missing: BUDGET!!!

For ideas on hotel, you can check 'Jakarta Top Question' on the top right side of the main forum page.

On itinerary, please mention in details which places interest you the most (you've been to Jakarta, we don't know what places you've been that you want to reminisce). I suggest you to come out with draft of itinerary (it's okay if you don't know the name, just state what you want to do and hopefully we can suggest the place for you).

On transportation, that can be arranged later after you come out with the itinerary.

April/May is quite a low season, so big chance you can get better deals on hotel, transport, etc if you book in advance.

Cheers, cirque

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
46,905 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vacation

Always better to do your own itinerary , post it on TA and ask DEs for comments. None is going to do your homework for you.

KL
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation

My draft itineray:

1st day (Thursday)- from airport in the morning take the train to Bandung (we want to see Bogor, puncak and shop)

2nd day (Friday) - Shop at Bandung, evening head for Jakarta

3rd Day (Saturday)- put up the night at Tanah Abang or FM hotel or any low budget hotel for city tour (we want to see Imam Bonjol, Tengku Djik Ditiro, Cikini, Sarinah, Sukabumi and Tanah Abang)

4th Day (Sunday) - shop only and catch flight home at night.

Better to take taxi or rent a transport? OK city tour on Saturdays?

KL
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family vacation

Can anyone learn a bit of manners? Don't be sarcastic when you're not interested to assist OK????? We are adult!!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family vacation

Hi chekina,

Just some comments on your itinerary:

Day 1:

Just so you aware that the train Jakarta-Bandung does not passing the town of Bogor and Puncak. Both trains that leave from Jakarta Gambir station (Argo Gede and Parahyangan) is using northern route, hence do not stop in Bogor, check here for the route map infoka.kereta-api.com/informasi/…

Day 3:

You can stay at Cikini, Menteng, or Wahid Hasyim area (all streets you've mentioned are stone's throw away). Check out my post about Tanah Abang Hotel for some hotel ideas. Hotel Formule 1 Cikini is new and can be an alternative.

Since your shopping destination in Jakarta is all in same area and not too far from each other, you can just catch public transport such as bajaj. Other alternative is to rent a car (that can fits 6 people) for 6 or 12 hours only, that way you will save time from hailing transport from one point to another. So, it's your call whether you want to save time or money... Both are pretty practical.

City tour on Satuday - OK, all attractions, even museums are open. However, Saturday is always busy as people are having their break...

KL
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family vacation

Thanks a lot. At least now I forward to my siblings on our family trip and my mom is joining too.

7. Re: Family vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, February 11, 2010