We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrissa's Jakarta Trip

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Marrissa's Jakarta Trip

Day1: Everything went smoothly untill we walked out of the Arrival Gate and couldn't spot any Bluebird counter. We panicked because there were hordes of illegal cabbies staring at us from far (or we could just be imagining things). So we quickly proceded to the nearest SilverBird counter and paid RP390,000 (all in) for a Toyota Alphard. The lady issued us an official invoice and led us to the van, which was very comfortable and luxurious and glad that we took it because we were then stuck in a loong jam.

Checked into Novotel, had lunch at Mangga Dua Square Mall and walked around a bit but most shops were closed probably because it was a weekday so we decided to venture to WTC Mangga Dua, only to discover, after a narrowing escape from death running across the busy road, that the mall was practically empty save for one auntie singing karaoke to a group of old-folk audiences. So we dashed back across the horrifying road, back safely to Mangga Dua Sq Mall. By then more shops have opened.

Day2: We had problems getting a supir right up to that very morning when we are supposed to leave for Bandung. Still we managed to find last minute replacement through this company www.jatrofatrans.com. Rp450,000 for driver and toyota avanza from Jakarta to Bandung and back. I highly recommend our driver Bapak Dana. Very polite man and he even sang along the Indonesian National Antheme with us..haha. Drove to Kawah Putih and then to Bandung city for F.O. shopping. Was back in Jakarta by 8pm.

Day3: We again engaged Bapak Dana to drive us around Jakarta. 10 hours for Rp250,000. We went to (in sequence) Taman Mini Indonesia, SCBD Millenia, Plaza Indonesia, Djakarta Theatre, Pasar Baru. Ancol was barely 5 mins away from our hotel but we decided to give it a miss.

Day4: After our buffet breakfast at the hotel, we hang around by the pool and lounge bar. Checked out, and finished our rupiahs at Carrefour below.

ps: I have contact for another supir which a colleague engaged at Rp500,000 from Jakarta to Bandung but he was not available on our dates. leave me a message if you would like his contact no.

pps: apart from the many, many restaurants and fast food outlets at Mangga Dua Sq Mall, we didn't shop for anything (besides snacks at Carrefour) there. A bit confused as to why friends made a big deal about Mangga Dua. Asked our supir what's at ITC Mangga Dua and he said 'nothing much'. We shopped mostly in Bandung and central Jakarta. I bought a pair of NineWest shoes at Plaza Indonesia at a 60% discount (about SGD$50)!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrissa's Jakarta Trip

thanks for the trip report. My comment abt Mangga Dua, of course if you are not into China made clothing shopping, Mangga Dua is nothing much. BUT if you compare Mangga Dua Square with ITC Mangga Dua, definitely it is VERY much different. ITC Mangga Dua is the major shopping compound in Mangga Dua area, which internconnected with Pasar Pagi Mg Dua and Mangga Dua Mall. It is a huge complex and unlike Mg Dua Square is very packed and most of the shops are open. So of course if you are into the China made garment shopping, sadly it was a big miss but for sightseeing only, you are lucky enough to miss it.....

About Blue Bird, actually there is no Blue Bird booth but you need to approach the taxi rank and tell the attendance that you want to take blue bird taxi. Otherwise actually you can ask the lady in silver bird counter to assist you

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrissa's Jakarta Trip

Hi verdims, yeah we figured we must have missed out something big about Mangga Dua. But still, we were glad to stay near the Mangga Dua Sq Mall because it means we could grab food on the go as our schedule was tight.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrissa's Jakarta Trip

Hi verdims, yeah we figured we must have missed out something big about Mangga Dua. But still, we were glad to stay near the Mangga Dua Sq Mall because it means we could grab food on the go as our schedule was tight.And of course, I was even more confused when supir said there was nothing much to see..

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,970 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrissa's Jakarta Trip

Hi, Marisssa ,

Although I have a feeling you expected MORE from your trip, I am glad you had some positive moments in our city and good bargains.

I do not remember if you in particular asked advice on accommodation but in general I always vote for more central options like Sudirman/ Gatot Subroto than Mangga Dua areas.

And thanks for sharing..........

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrissa's Jakarta Trip

Hi Schofeld, we truly enjoyed our Jakarta/Bandung trip and promised to come back sometime in the future. Yeah, maybe next time we should stay somewhere central, but we absolutely love Novotel Mangga Dua!! The hotel's beautiful and the staff were very polite and professional. In fact, most of the Indonesians we came across during our trip were very nice and polite. I miss Indonesia already!

Marrissa

6. Re: Marrissa's Jakarta Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 09, 2010