We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 post
Save Topic

Hey there, im travelling to jakarta 2 weeks today on the 6th august for 10 days with my boyfriend.

Im sure youve had a few of these topics but since the bombings im a little worried about travelling.

My boyfriend is very excited about going and keeps re-assuring me there is nothing to worry about.Ive read a few of the topics and you guys give out some great advice.

Also our airlines called us yesterday to say our flight back from Jakarta has been cancelled and weve had to cut our holiday 3 days short got me a little worried too.

Is there still a good atmosphere in the city? Any places we should avoid?

Where are the best places to go?

Thank you,

Level Contributor
9,514 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice

Hi Danni

Suggest you look to Jogjakarta for a break

JKT to Jogjakarta>JKT

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice

G'day Danni,

So far only Australian and US government issue a travel warning to Indonesia, have you checked them out?

I'd say better you observe their advice first.

However, your boyfriend might be right. Terrorist is still at large, we can't control them. But, we definitely can control ourself, right? So, while traveling (anywhere), it's your responsibility to make yourself feel safe and comfortable. The atmosphere in the city is very very positive. Everything runs normally.

Best places to go? I don't know your travelling style, but for ideas on what to see, you can click on the 'Things to Do' in the left side bar. Also, you need to check out 'Before you Go' for important info on almost every travel needs. Most of them are written by us (Jakarta Destination Experts), so you can't get 'em wrong!

Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
56,734 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice

The situation and atmosphere in the city is usual and normal. Only today I thought that banjir has a GREATER impact on Jakarta everyday routine than any bombing.

All places operate in perfect way. Security measures in the hotels (ESPECIALLY) tightened. Expected!!!!!!!Yet guest baggage is not checked, they just need some time to adjust to this new reality and install the checking equipment.

The decision is up to you. And check your government position on this sort of travel.

4. Re: Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, January 20, 2010
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question