We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jakarta for the budget concious

h85
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jakarta for the budget concious

Hi guys,

Just got back from 3D/3N in Jakarta & 3D/2N in Bandung.

Had an enjoyable time in both places. In Bandung we stayed at Geulis Hotel (family suites – pleasant stay as the living area provided us with common area to chit-chat and eat in a group whenever we decided to pack food and dined in) & in Jakarta we stayed at my sis’s house.

Anyway, it seems my family enjoyed Jakarta (for shopping) more than Bandung and already talking about going to Indonesia again. This time, no Bandung just Jakarta.

Purpose of Jakarta trip – shopping. My family is into shopping of local (indon? China?) stuffs – telekung (muslim praying gear), tudung (head scarves), embroidery stuffs for kebaya/baju kurung, ready to wear garments etc.

Probably the same group again (my parents in their 70s, my sister in her 50s and 5 adults and a 2-year old and two 5-year old kids).

On our last trip, we were caught in macet (traffic jam) for 4 hours! – on our way back from Puncak to my sis’s house in Kebayoran Baru.

So, next trip we planned to stay at a hotel or apartment nearby shopping areas to avoid macet (if that is possible).

Base on feedback that I received from my family members – these are the places they wish to re-visit (last trip we spent more time shopping in Bandung) :

1. Tanah Abang (yeah I read TA and most Jakarta experts hate this place ) but my sisters love this place as they said the tudung and telekung sold here more refine (design wise) than Pasar Baru Bandung.

2. Mangga Dua (last trip we only managed to visit Pasar Pagi)

3. JaCC (Jakarta City Centre Hyperstore) – last trip we arrived there at closing time!

4. Last trip we visited Pacific Place, Grand Indonesia, Plaza Indonesia and this coming trip probably visit few others which we did not visit the last time (not all my family members are into shopping malls).

Also from what we gathered from the last trip, it is best to visit Jakarta during weekend (to avoid macet). So, our next trip will be on weekend (Friday to Sunday), 3D/2N (or perhaps extend to 3 nights).

Anyway, from TA forums & TA hotel reviews I’ve compiled these hotels which I think fit my family requirement (yet to narrow down on selection, hoping you guys can assist). Rate? To accommodate everyone’s budget, price range should be below RM150/person/night (USD85/room/night). Other criteria – MUST be clean.

Your feedback is much appreciated – which one is better in term of cleanliness, price (value for money) and easy access to places mentioned above . Thank you.

1. Ascot Jakarta – 2-bedroom apt (weekend rates) USD160++/night www.the-ascott.com/specials/cluster.html…

2. Acacia Hotel (deluxe) Rp587,000/room/night bayubuanatravel.com/hotels/hotelMainweb.asp…

3. Aryaduta Rp570,000/room/night bayubuanatravel.com/hotels/hotelMainweb.asp…

4. Grand Flora Rp560,000/room/night bayubuanatravel.com/hotels/hotelMainweb.asp…

5. Menara Peninsula Hotel Rp530,000/room/night bayubuanatravel.com/hotels/hotelMainweb.asp…

6. Ibis Arcadia Rp523,000/room/night bayubuanatravel.com/hotels/hotelMainweb.asp…

7. Millennium Sirih (superior room)Rp515,000/room/night bayubuanatravel.com/hotels/hotelMainweb.asp…

8. Harris Hotel Tebet (Harris room) Rp506,000/room/night bayubuanatravel.com/hotels/hotelMainweb.asp…

9. Ibis Mangga Dua (family room) Rp810,000/room/night bayubuanatravel.com/hotels/hotelMainweb.asp…

10. Somerset Grand Citra 3bedroom apartment USD120/unit/night. https:/…somerset_grand_citra.html

11. Countrywood – 3 bedroom apartment USD115/unit/night countrywoods.co.id/servicedapartments.html

12. Wisma Maluku – my bro-in-law said his friends stayed here before and happy with the hotel – rate about Rp320,000/room/night. Anybody tried this hotel before? tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

My sis and family reside in Jakarta but they are not really Jakarta expert (they are Malaysians working in Jakarta), so appreciate any feedback from you guys. Thanks.

P/s is it better to rent a car or use blue bird taxi (for purpose mentioned above). The last trip we rented two 7-seaters for our use both in Jakarta and Bandung. While on my first trip to Jakarta it was only 2 of us, so we just walked around our hotel (Sari Pan Pac) to avoid macet (jam) and at night we took Blue Bird.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jakarta for the budget concious

How many persons are in your group ACTUALLY want to stay in the hotel?

"(my parents in their 70s, my sister in her 50s and 5 adults and a 2-year old and two 5-year old kids)."

but at the last paragraph "My sis and family reside in Jakarta"

Is the sister who live in Jakarta also the same as previous sister (who is in her 50s)?

Wnen is actually your next visit? July? June to mid July is school holidays. Going to Jakarta on this season won't give you any difference whether to go on weekdays/weekends (on weekend, shopping places like Mangga Dua and tourist attraction such as Ancol is more crowded than ever!)

For your description, let's cross out: Acacia, Menara Peninsula, Countrywood, Harris Tebet, Arcadia, Grand Flora, Somerset Grand Citra.

For 10 persons (8 adults and 2 kids), 3 bedroom or two units of 2-bedrooms will be better choice rather than to book 4rooms?

So in my opinion, apartment is better than hotel for you! The Ascott is perfect locationwise. Adults who love to shop can go to Tanah Abang, elderly and kids can unwind at playground at nearby shopping malls (3 to choose from and all within walking distance). You can go to Mangga Dua for day trips. Also by staying in apartment type, you family can gather at one place (you can cook, eat breakfast together, etc) since you're travelling in a group, this thing matter, right?

Wisma Maluku is nothing to shout about, it's a basic guesthouse (and probably since lots of government activities in the building, you cannot be too noisy going form one room to another) plus room rate around Rp320,000 is totally a joke considering you could get a proper accommodation at solid 2 star hotel (such as Formule 1 chain).

If you choose to use the accommodation I recommend (The Ascott), you'd probably won't need to rent a car. If everyone wants to go to Mangga Dua (and probably the kids to play at Ancol), you can rent a car for that particular day only. For other (such as going to Senayan, Pacific Place, etc), you can use busway or taxi or even use the maxicab (fits 8-10person).

P.S. For the hotel rates booked through travel agent, you should really look the T&C (sometimes the cheap rates are only for Indonesian & KIMS holder) or you could use your sister's KIMS (Kartu Izin Menetap Sementara / Temporary Resident Card).

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
945 posts
1,471 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jakarta for the budget concious

Hi,

Of those hotels I think the Aryaduta is the nicest. It was a Hyatt until very recently and is very nice. It is also in a central location, just near Gambir Station.

If you decide on one of the accor hotels, such as the Ibis Mangga Dua or the Hotel Acacia, check their website you can get better prices there. You could also consider the Ibis Kemayoran.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jakarta for the budget concious

I would agree best option is Ascott Kebon Kacang.

If you want to check Accor group has special promo as low as IDR 400K for their Novotel and Mercure. It is really well worth the price. check it out at www.accorhotels.com/supersale

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
945 posts
1,471 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jakarta for the budget concious

Hi,

I would agree with Cirque that renting a car is unnecessary.

I think so of those hotel prices are the price for KIMS/KITAS/locals, so you'll need to get your family member that lives here to book.

h85
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jakarta for the budget concious

Hi Cirque & Camsean,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My group will consists of 8 adults and 3 kids or probably more if other siblings decide to follow us next trip (my parents in their 70s, my sister in her 50s and 5 adults and a 2-year old and two 5-year old kids)."

The sister who is residing in Jakarta is not part of the group.

Our next visit is either July, early August (before fasting month) or December 2009. But perhaps, need to reconsider since we wish to avoid crowd. When is the best time to visit? (since our experience with the 4 hour macet, everyone is REALLY scared of macet ha ha).

Accommodation for 11 pax - Yeah, apartment will be better but from my research, don't find that many choices except for those that I listed earlier.

Yeah, from your description, Ascot seems to be the most suitable choice for our group due to its location and amenities and close proximity to shopping areas. But rate wise, some group members might object..but then again money save from transportation can be used on accommodation here.

Travel agent rate - yeah last time we booked tru my sis' KIMS, so we got quite a good deal at Geulis Hotel.

by the way, what is maxicab? is it a cab under bluebird company? can we just call them whenever we want their service or flag them at the road side? fare wise, how much? comparable to normal cab?

Thanks

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jakarta for the budget concious

Ascott is probably the best solution to avoid traffic (since going to other places can be on foot or other more economical transport (busway, bajaj, etc).

Other apartment I can offer is Menara Batavia apartment. Rp990,000 for 3 bedroom apartment from KIA travels kiatravels.com/index.php/…domestic-hotel.html But again, you'd probably need to get taxi to go everywhere (since it's in the middle of office blocks).

Late July/Early August is quite okay (as long as the s**tty president election doesn't go nuts). December is high seasons.

MaxiCab is a taxi service using VW Caravelle (or similar) that can fits up to 10 people. It is operated by new private company, very hard to find on the road, so reservation is definitely a must. 021-3500066. The fare is higher than regular taxi, around 60% more. However, I'm not sure if this company still exist, nowadays it's very hard to spot one on the streets. ;(

Other reliable company which operate this type of taxi is Tiara Express, owned by Express Taxi (the white one with yellow express light) www1.expressgroup.co.id/index.php…

h85
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jakarta for the budget concious

Dear Cirque, Verdims & Camsean,

Thank you very very much.

Verdims - just checked out Accor website as suggested by you, yeah very cheap. Will confer with the rest of group members and see their preference..

Before going to Bandung last trip, it took me almost 2 months to research, called for quotations (hotel/car rental), places to eat - to get best deal for everyone - comfortable, nice, clean hotel, reliable and economical transport. Well..need to do that since in our group, disposable income level is different from one member to the other and what is ok to one member might be too expensive for the other.

Anyway, will need to do up pros n cons and discuss with the rest and of course discuss on budget acceptable to everyone.

Last trip we spent on necessities (hotel for 2 nights, transportation for 5 days - including airport transfer, tickets for tourist spots, food, airport tax) approx RM600/adult (USD170/adult) EXCLUDE flight ticket & shopping money.

Perhaps with shorter duration and with trip confine within Jakarta this time, we could cut the budget into half or lower..

Any suggestion on good restaurant? Cost per pax below Rp100,000/meal (food and drinks).

Preference? as per typical Malaysians my group members prefer spicy and hot (pedas) food like Padang food, though after Bandung, they seem to like Sundanese food too (though some complained they are a bit dry). Seafood is good too.

Last trip to Jakarta we only managed to dine at Waroeng Podjok at Grand Indonesia (the food amongst the better one compared to those that we sampled in Bandung and Puncak) and Mangga Dua food court (the food was cheap, taste? so-so).

Some of us are quite adventurous to try new food but quite hesitant to try because general perception of indonesian food to us...they are sweet. Any other suggestion apart from padang and sundanese food?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jakarta for the budget concious

Warung Podjok is essentially a 'warung'. As a local, I would say they're overpriced (just because they're located inside comfortable prestigious shopping mall). You can find similar varieties at local market. When you visit JaCC, at the food court you can find quite cheap nasi campur stall, at Tanah Abang blok A market go to the food court on the 8th floor, you can find lots of Indonesian food - from all over Indonesia (still bit overpriced, but they need to pay the rent compare to those foodstalls by the street, right?)

On buying hawker food such as gado-gado, ketoprak, you can request how many chili you want to be mixed with the sauce.

Indonesian food is not all that sweet, you know? Padang food is spicy, then Javanese tends to be sweet. Sundanese sambal is quite spicy. You definitely need to sample Manado food then you can say their level of spiciness. You can try Beautika at Jalan Abdul Muis http://beautika.net/index.html

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
945 posts
1,471 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jakarta for the budget concious

Hi,

I good central Padang restaurant is Natrabau on Jalan Sabang. This street is also known as Jalan sate and is, naturally, a good place to try sate.

If you'd prefer a restaurant I'd recommend Sate Khas Senayan.(Jalan Kebon Sirih and branches)

Bakmi GM is a good place for Chinese/Indonesian food. (Next to Sarinah and branches)

Pak Sadi, on Jalan Juanda is the best place for Soto Ayam in Jakarta.

I also really recommend a small restaurant called Cengke as a place to try food from all over Java, such Gudeg or Nasi Timbel. It's on Jalan Juanda III.

A good place for western food is Happy Day also on Jalan Juanda.

Cafe Betawi in Grand Indonesia (and other branches) is also good.

You can easily eat for under Rp 100,000 per person at any of these places.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jakarta for the budget concious

My fave restaurant for Padang food is Sederhana in Jalan Kebon Kacang, simply the best with no extra frills. Natrabu and Garuda (both in Jalan Sabang) are a bit pricey.

You can have huge meals below Rp 100K per person in Sederhana, complete with the Martabak and Sate Padang. Actually it is located just across from the JaCC mall and Ascott Kebon Kacang, next to Wisma Maluku.

Beautika as cirque mentioned will guarantee you for the most spicy food experience, if you consider Padang food spicy then it will be a kids meal compares to Beautika.