We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long term accommodation in Jakarta

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Long term accommodation in Jakarta

I'm looking to relocate to Jakarta from the beginning of July due to work, and would like to shortlist a few options for long term lease (2 years).

As traffic can be quite crazy, I would preferably like to be within proximity to the Stock Exchange Building on Sudirman Kav where my office is located.

Would anyone be able to provide me with some suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long term accommodation in Jakarta

If money is not a matter, then there are plenty of apartments located in the area.

Just across the road from Stock Exchange Building is Ritz Carlton Pacific Place Residence.

In the same area (SCBD area), there are also SCBD suites and Kusuma Chandra apartment.

Not far from there, more choices can be found at Kuningan area, including Taman Rasuna Apartment http://www.apartementamanrasuna.com (1 bedroom rent is around Rp4million/month), also other more exclusive apartments.

Mentioned in this post
The Ritz-Carlton Jakarta, Pacific Place
The Ritz-Carlton...
958 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
950 posts
1,664 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long term accommodation in Jakarta

There are loads of choices in Central Jakarta.

The two previously mentioned are both good options.

You could also consider the residences at the Shangri-La hotel hotel or the Marriott Mayflower Executive apartments.

If you are looking to rent a regular apartment rather than a serviced apartment, just contact a real estate agent or buy a local paper paper like the Jakarta Post or Kompas.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
352 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long term accommodation in Jakarta

Thanks, cirque and camsean.

Maybe I should have provided a budget earlier. I am looking at approximately USD1k-2k per month. Will that get me far at all in Central Jakarta?

Alternatively, somewhere not to far away (traffic jams are one of my pet peeves) in Senayan or Kemang? Heard those are great neighbourhoods.

Where would you recommend if it was the case of a single male (with occasional friends/family from overseas) who likes to be close to the conveniences of bookshops, cafes, bars, supermarket, restaurants and a good measure of leisure?

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
352 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
59,849 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long term accommodation in Jakarta

Hi, bushpotato,

You actually rang the right bell for I myself just through the whole drill with finding a new appt. in Central Jakarta. Options in SCBD area

1/ Capital - not your budget, though VERY nice, sophisticated and luxurious. 2BDR - about 2300OUSD

2/ Pacific Place - not your budget at all, but even better that Capital.

3/ SCBD suites - 2BDR - anout 200-2200USD

4/ Kusuma Chandra - 2BDR-1300-1500USD. BUT very old, with lots of internal/maintenance problems. I would not rent it. Yet looks OK from outside.

5/ Sudirman Mension - 2BDR- 1500-1700USD. Better than Kusuma yet still has a feeling of long forgotten ashtray. I do not like being there and would not recommend it.

6/ Daksa Residance - 2BDR-1500-1700USD. Townhouse style, very spacious, quite area. Near Jl. Senopati and everything else.

7/ Aditya Mension. 2BDR-1300-1500USD. Townhouse, serviced appt. About 12-15 y/o yet maintained in a very good order. Nice.

8/ FX residence. 2BDR- 1100-1200USD. Brand new, nicest view in the area (looking to Gelora Bung Karno Stadium) with shopping mall beneath. A bit small in size.

--------

The rest are not worth mentioning.

---------

Also good choices but closer to Rasuna Said/ Kuningan - Somerset Grand Chipta, Oakwood Residence, Bellagio Residence, Bellagio Mention, Ambassador 2 Residence, The Peak, The Tamrin residence, The Cosmo etc. Check....

jakarta-apartment.com/…

Advise - believe me you will not decide anything on-line because the right decision is the one when you see it all with your own eyes. Come and chose WISELY. Get a property agent.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
352 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Pacific Place
Pacific Place
218 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Gelora Bung Karno Stadium
Gelora Bung Karno Stadium
209 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Jakarta
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long term accommodation in Jakarta

Lots of expats live in Kemang Area, where there are upmarket and lively restaurants and pubs (from locals to upmarket/fine dining restaurants).

Ask your company to put you up for 4-8 weeks in a hotel first, as that would leave you enough time to look around for a suitable place to live, with or without the help of a real estate agent.

USD1K/per month will get you a small 3 bedroom apt in Rasuna Apt (some would say it looks like a council homes/apt complex), but at the same time you probably could get a small 2 bedroom house in the areas behind your office (off Senopati roads). Expat standards houses /apts often run from 1.5 - 2.5K per month, some may want payment in full for the duration (2 years) in advance. Apartments are convenient places to live, but you do not get the feeling of living amongst friendly locals. On the other hand, living in houses sometimes means that you have to deal with domestic issues such as leaks, plumbing, , cleaners, etc.

I live on the wrong side the track from Menteng (less than 1 km where the Vice President lives) and take the Trans Jakarta bus to Sudirman and Thamrin boulevard (5 stops to the JSE building). My neighborhood is quiet, and furnished 4 bedroom houses are rented at around 1K per month, but it is a bit away from the pubs and clubs in Kemang. But then, I don't go there everyday anyway :-)

Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long term accommodation in Jakarta

I really appreciate your personal views on the choice of accommodation and neighbourhoods. Now it's time I do my own research, but thanks to all of you, I know where to start.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
950 posts
1,664 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long term accommodation in Jakarta

Your budget will give you a very wide choice. Everything but the most upmarket places, in fact.

Good Luck!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long term accommodation in Jakarta

One question: excluding any preference to be close to the Stock Exchange Building, which neighbourhood in Jakarta is most suitable for expats? Again, the lifestyle issue is quite an important consideration for me.

Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Jakarta
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Long term accommodation in Jakarta

Would you care to define the "lifestyle" that you are thinking of? There are pubs and bars and fine dining available in Central Jakarta too, and journey to the JSE is only 15-30 mins am and 1 hour after office hours in some neighborhoods in Menteng, Central Jakarta.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
352 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long term accommodation in Jakarta

Well, South Jakarta is the ideal area for expats in general (and Stock Exchange happens to be in that area).

Kemang and Blok M (15mins from JSE - Jakarta Stock Exchange) is the favourite area for Caucasians, while at Senopati (just mins away from JSE) there are many Korean, Japanese establishments. Pondok Indah, Cilandak, and Ciputat (all further down the south) are also the favourite living place for expats.

Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia