We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Jakarta.

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
F11
sin
9 posts
Save Topic
First trip to Jakarta.

Hi

This is my first trip to jakarta.We will be staying there 10days reaching Hatta airport on 24.12.08 3pm. I would like to travel out from jakarta by train on same date/day. I would like to visit others state too.should i go jogjakarta then bandong back to jakarta. or cerebon, bandong,jakarta or Bogor,bandong jakarta. Coz my flight departure back home from jakarta 3.1.09 my last 2 days then i would want to spend my time in jakarta . Pls advice.

tks.

rinah

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Jakarta.

Hi Rinah, i think with 10 days, you can visit all those places.

But what intrigued you the most? If you want to see the Borobudur temple, the Keratons (Sultan's palace), shop for batiks, then Jogjakarta is the place to go.

In Cirebon you can see the beaches, another Keraton, the city is smaller in size than Jogja.

If you want to visit all, I suggest the itinerary as follows: Jakarta - Cirebon - Yogyakarta - Bandung - Bogor/Jakarta.

I would not suggest to go to Bandung then Cirebon then Yogjakarta as the train connection for Bandung to Cirebon is not so much as the route I suggested.

For more information on train schedule, fare, and type of service offered, you can go to www.infoka.kereta-api.com/jadwal_dan_tarif (website in bahasa Indonesia)

On your way back from bandung, if you want to go to Bogor then Jakarta, you need to arrange it by renting a car. However, if you want to go Back to Jakarta straight from bandung, then you can take train or the scheduled mini-van shuttle service (operated by Xtrans or Cipaganti).

F11
sin
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Jakarta.

Thank you so much the route you suggest it is very useful. I've another optional to travel in other state. My second plan .First thing i would like to know is there a train travel to surabaya and from surabaya can i take ferry to Bali. How many days from jakarta to surabaya by train and sea to Bali.Does this cost cheaper then flight.

From surabaya is there a bus to route me to bali?.How many days / hours in my travel to reach my destination from jakarta to surabaya.

From surabaya to bali how may days or hours.It is good if you can inform me the cost/fare of the ferry.

Back Bali to surabaya is there a train to bandong before i return to jakarta.Pls advice me with this journey is it enough for 10 days.Coz i want my trip to be memorable journey and adventure.Your advice may be useful for my journey.

Thank Q.

rinah

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,922 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Jakarta.

1/ Going by train to Surabaya? What a crazy idea? Flight only!!!!!!! Once my friend decided to go to SUR by car (which is faster than trai), he condemned everything and declared *never again*. Flying is worth every penny.

2/ Ferry boats SUR-Bali is 5 hours (or so) torture , nerve wrecking and sweat drenching experience. Highly unrecommended. Again flight only!

F11
sin
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Jakarta.

I appreciate your advice it may sound crazy to you. But every individual have their own plan.....Thank you for answering my question.

tks

rinah

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Jakarta.

Hi

You can take Argo Bromo Anggrek train from Jakarta Gambir station to Surabaya. This is an overnight executive train with air-con. From Surabaya to bali, you can take bus, there are many executive bus options to Bali from Surabaya and will takes you to Kuta area in about 6 hours but subject to to congestion for ferry crossing.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Jakarta.

Hi, if you want to add Surabaya and Bali by land to your travel plan is enough, but it will be a packed trip, not really a leisure type one. U need to carefully plan it as honestly the trip by rail around Java island will take most of your time.

Ferry crossing from Surabaya to Bali will involve bus ride and ferry ride. Ferry crossing is cheap (Rp5.000) while the bus ride will vary (but less than Rp50.000 for sure). The time taken for bus+ferry ride from Surabaya to Bali will take roughly around 6 hours (depending on many factors such as ferry schedule, tide wave, and what type of bus you take).

If you insist on using train + ferry for your whole trip (Surabaya-Bali return by train), I guarantee you cannot make your time to enjoy the attractions (you will be exhausted from the time you use to travel, not to enjoy the place).

My suggestion: take night train from Jakarta - Surabaya then ferry to Bali. From Bali take flight to Jogjakarta and you can continue to other cities in West Java by train.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Jakarta.

Hi Rinah, it's in the news today that selected train tickets will rise in conjunction with the holiday seasons. The rise will valid from tomorrow (5.12.08) to 5 January 2009. Selected trip (such as Bima train will rise up to 100%), so in this case certain train trip will cost moreover the same as place ticket...

Malang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Jakarta.

Be prepare that it would be difficult to get train ticket on that day. That's peak season in Indonesia.

F11
sin
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Jakarta.

Hi Guys

You all are wonderful thanks for the tips and answer my 'Q'.I appreciate of your advise and concern on my journey.Who ever you are but you all are truly expert.I can't pay your time taken for replying my 'Q' may god bless you all.

Tks

rinah

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
709 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Jakarta.

Hi F11,

I don't know what kind of traveller U r. But Surabaya - Kuta Beach (where the happening is in Bali) takes +/- 11hours by car, can be more depends on the traffic. Nite driving should be much less. Unless Ur back can stand those long hours, my advice is fly to Bali fr Surabaya (45 mnt). Jakarta - Surabaya by nite train is OK. Book Ur flights early to get better fares, Airasia or Mandala Airlines.