We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to jakarta with family

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
first time to jakarta with family

I will be travelling to Jakarta on 27th Jan to 30th Jan 09 . I need some advice on the following items:

1) Can someone help me to plan my itenery

2) I have two children with me age 8 & 13

3) I heard is the raining season during this

period and i am worried will get stuck in the

hotel and travelling to airport is difficult.

4) I have not book my hotel yet, any good

suggestion?

5) Where to go for best Sudanese and local food?

6) Where is the best handicraft shop?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to jakarta with family

Hello, I try my best to give you the reply as follows.

1. Can, we're in TripAdvisor can help you with any travel-related question. The itinerary goes after these answers.

2. noted. I will suggest some family-oriented activities.

3. yes. please allow at least 3 hours before departure time for your journey back to the airport.

4. what is your budget range (or what star rating)? And what kind do you like, apartment style/resort hotel/city hotel?

Some suggestion:

a. the many accor hotel properties in Jakarta, the recommended one for city center location is Ibis Tamarin or Ibis Arcadia (3star, city hotel)

b. Pan Pacific (4 star, city hotel)

c. Aryaduta Suites Semanggi (4 star, apartment style but fully serviced)

d. Ritz Carlton Jakarta-Pacific Place (5star, city hotel, adjacent to Kidzania)

5. In the city center, you can find from the many restaurants in Pecenongan or Batu Tulis area.

6. For widest variety of souvenirs (from all over Indonesia) go to Sarinah department store, in the city center.

Suggested itinerary

Day 1: arrive Jakarta (what time?)

morning: check in hotel

afternoon: sightseeing at Old Batavia area (old historic buildings, museums, very good photo spots) -- just like when you visit Abdul Samad Building in KL. after that, you can continue forward to Chinatown (Glodok) to grab some bites and shop at Mangga Dua wholesale center.

Day 2

Visit Ancol recreational park where you can choose to play at many attractions (separate admission apply) such as theme park, marine wildlife center, a Sea World (aquarium, not the one like in USA), art market, beaches, and restaurants by the beach.

Day 3

moning: visit Indonesia Miniature Park (Taman Mini Indonesia Indah) where you can find traditional Indonesian houses from all provinces in Indonesia (just like Mini ASEAN in Melaka), as well as many museums inside the park.

afternoon: bring your kids to play at Kidzania www.kidzania.co.id

OR

Go to Safari Park just outside Jakarta, also if you got time you can see around the tea plantation (just like Cameroon Highlands, but more crowded la, Cameroon is very peaceful, but this one not really)

Day 4

last-minute shopping at Jakarta's many malls and head back to airport.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to jakarta with family

thank you for your suggestion.we will be arriving at3.pm.so what can we do during the evening?about the hotel is crowne plaza,novatel and la granduer which hotel is connected to the shopping mall for our convenient.for the departure time it is at11.55am.we intend to book a hotel near the airport on the 3rd day so its more nearer to the airport,do you have any suggestion?for tranportation from the airport to our hotel how much do they actually charge.does the taxi in jakarta use meter?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to jakarta with family

1. Out of the 3 hotel, 2 are located in moreover the same area. Crowne Plaza is located in the city area, close to major shopping malls, favourite with families on weekends. This hotel is quite convenient to get you wherever to the city.

Le Grandeur and Novotel is in Mangga Dua area. Maybe you know that Mangga Dua is famous for its wholesale center (clothes, bags, electronics, etc). Good if you main objective is to shop and close proximity to Ancol and the old Batavia. Of the 2, I strongly recommend Le Grandeur for its location (adjacent to all wholesale centers).

However, Novotel is newer and attached to a new shopping mall. It has quite good food court (most are halal). But the mall is new and not all stores have opened. It's also more like mall feeling inside.

2. I don't think it's necessary to stay somewhere near the airport the day before departure. Jakarta airport is not that far, but traffic maybe quite nasty. So 3 hours before departure time would be okay.

3. Taxi costs between airport and city center is around Rp100,000 one way depending on which part of the city and traffic condition

Don't worry. ALL taxis in Jakarta are run by meter. However, there are a lot of taxi companies and each of them has its own colour scheme for its fleet. For tourists, I recommend to take BLUE BIRD GROUP taxis for its reliability. (you can identify them by looking for 'BLUE BIRD GROUP' sticker on the windscreen and blue fleet). There is also a premium taxis called SILVER BIRD, operates more classy fleet and also belongs to the same group. Higher fare apply.

4. As for food, MOST food served in restaurants, cafes, and food court is HALAL. If you're unsure, just look for the Halal logo.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,789 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to jakarta with family

Agreed with Cirque...

1/ no need to stay in airport hotel on the last day of your visit. And I would not worry so much about flood situation in Jakarta, the most possible banjir time is the end of February. And banjir happens (thanks Allah) not every year.

2/ Of the hotels you mentioned I would stay in Crowne Plaza, first of all because of its convenience to travel to and from the city (airport transfer, safari trip, etc). Toll road masuk gate is

20 m. from the hotel entrance. It is very close to Semanggi shopping center (walking passage through hotel back door) and situated in the junction of two Jakarta main roads. They have very nice pool and your kids will enjoy it, I am sure.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to jakarta with family

Thanks guys very helpful information .Do you think i have time to go to Bandung and how far from the city . I decided to stay at Crowne Plaza . Any good restaurant nearby . What can i do during the night ?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to jakarta with family

Hi Catel

If you are staying at Crowne Plaza, you can get a good Sundanese food in Sari Kuring restaurant inside SCBD area. They are famous for the fried Gurami fish. Basically it is across from yr hotel but crossing the street maybe slightly inconvenience since you must take ped crossing bridge to cross the busy highway. You may take taxi for about 5 mins drive and tell the driver you wanted to go to Sari Kuring Rest near the Polda Metro inside SCBD. Another option of Sundanese food is Bumbu Desa rest in Jalan Senopati near blok S. It is abt 10 mins taxi drive from yr rest. It offers typical Sundanese style buffet and different taste than Sari Kuring.

Plaza Semanggi (5 mins walk) from Crowne Plaza has many food options but it is typical standard food outlets but the taste are right. I might recommend Duck King in Plaza Semanggi for good BBQ duck and Cantonese Style chinese food (Don't worry It is Halal).

If you are planning to go to Bandung, you can make a day trip and rent a car. Leave early in the morning and return on the same day, it is still viable. Bandung is about 3 hrs drivining distance from Jakarta.

Have a nice trip

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,789 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to jakarta with family

You have 2 full days in Jakarta. Theoretically speaking you have a chance to do there-and-back-again one day trip to Bandung. Crowne Plaza is especially favorably situated to catch the Cikampek toll. But that would be tiresome and extremely tedious experience - travel, shopping in the area you do not know + travel again. Plus if your trip to Jakarta falls on weekend - Bandung and going there is out of the question.

In you case I would recommend to stick to Jakarta shopping options (they are aplenty if you care) and be comfortable with your visit.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time to jakarta with family

Agree with Schonefeld. You're bringing 2 kids on a trip and you only have 3 full days to enjoy (the first day is not count since you only have half day and probably people might want to rest a bit when they arrive in the new city). Well, Bandung is a highland good if you want to see nature thing (they have some tourist objects such as mountain crater, strawberry farm, hot springs, etc) but these are not located in the city, so it would need some time to enjoy them all (at least 1 day 1 night). But if your main goal to go to Bandung is to shop, I would suggest you to just do it in Jakarta (especially if you're interested in wholesale shopping). If you think that Bandung is great with factory outlets, you can find some in jakarta too.

So if you want to go to Bandung to enjoy the mountainous thing, you better plan it carefully, but if you want to go to Bandung just for shopping, I would suggest to skip it. Maybe at another time can la (you know AirAsia is giving away free tickets for travel next year...).

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time to jakarta with family

Thank you guys for the opiniun I think we will stay back in jakarta but we found another hotel which is Sari Pacific.What do you guys think of this hotel?Is the location better?Actually for this trip we are planing to visit some interesting places and to get some nice handmade handicraft is all the price of the goods is the same or do I have to bargain everytime I shop?I heard that the shop close very early so what can we do after that?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time to jakarta with family

Hi

Well both are having their own + and -. Sari Pacific is located in Jalan Thamrin, very close walking distance to Sarinah shopping center where you can shop for handicraft (fix price) and Jalan Sabang food center. But the hotel is older than Crowne Plaza. my personal opinion, I like Crowne Plaza better than Sari Pacific.