We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20-year-old son lost wallet in Jakarta

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
20-year-old son lost wallet in Jakarta

Gone are driver's license, ATM card and Visa card. He still has his passport. USA embassy told him to contact bank, they couldn't help.

In the meantime, his 30-day visa is expiring this Friday. He may not have money by then to make a flight out and back in again. What happens to him if he stays longer than 30 days?

Visa says he does not meet criteria for emergency cash but won't tell us what those criteria are. Any experience with this? How quickly can you get a B of A ATM card or VISA card in Indonesia?

Thanks

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20-year-old son lost wallet in Jakarta

If he lost the wallet in a shopping centre, I suggest

to go back to the mall, and ask the cleaning service people, usually, when the pickpocket steal the wallet they take out the money and throw out the atm, credit card and driver licence, it happened to me, and my friend, but

at the end we got back our id, credit card, and driver licence, but all the money gone. too bad.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20-year-old son lost wallet in Jakarta

Hi tischclan1,

honestly it's very hard to retrieve the wallet back (with all the content). The best thing to do is to block his bank account (of which he lost the ATM and Visa Credit Card). If the bank is only located in the US, you should help him call the bank and freeze the account so credit card fraud won't happen (it's on the rise in Jakarta).

For your son's visa, if he would like to extend it, he can go to the nearby immigration office and apply for visa extension. If not, he will be fined for overstay.

And what is exactly you mean by "How quickly can you get a B of A ATM card or VISA card in Indonesia?"

Is he really running out of cash?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20-year-old son lost wallet in Jakarta

You can transfer him cash with Western Union. He can collect the money in Bank BII with his passport.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
939 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20-year-old son lost wallet in Jakarta

I would agree the best thing to do is for you to send him money through Western Union or some other service.

Tell him not to waste his time going around malls trying to get wallet back because the chances are close to zero.

Monday is a public holiday here, so trying to organize replacement atm/credit cards will not be possible til Tuesday. Really, just send him enough cash to get through and he can pick it up Tuesday and enjoy the rest of his trip.

I want to really really stress that he should not overstay his visa under any circumstances. If he turns up at the airport, having overstayed, there is a very good chance he will not be allowed to board his flight. At the very least he would be forced to pay a large bribe,and that is if he is lucky enough to find someone who will accept one.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
939 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20-year-old son lost wallet in Jakarta

Hi,

Just to add the 30 day visa cannot be extended (It says so on the sticker they put in your passport); The only exception is if the visa holder is in hospital.

So in this case, your son needs to leave the country within the allotted 30 days.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
452 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20-year-old son lost wallet in Jakarta

Hi

I would agree with the rest of the opinion. Western Union or Moneygram is yr best bet. My brother in US usually sent some money through Moneygram and we can collect the money within a day (in Indonesian Rupiah) just by bringing in positive ID and the PIN number.

As for B of A (I believe you mean Bank of America), there is 1 branch of BOA in Jakarta Stock Exchange bLdg but they are not operative branch ( I mean can't provide any teller activity only acting as the reps office), so I dont think they can assist yr son with any assistance (fyi, their system may not be online with US BOA). I was BofA customer as well when I was in US but when I cant access my acct in BofA Indonesia. I think only Citibank is pretty much 100% online.

Hope it will help!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20-year-old son lost wallet in Jakarta

Thank you all for your help.

We wired him money via Western Union and he is waiting til a branch opens on Tuesday to get the cash. He has borrowed from some very generous fellow backpackers in the meantime.

He has a flight booked to Malaysia for the 21st but can't really leave the place he's staying until his new Visa card arrives. That flight may need to be changed. He has one more week on his 30-day visa. We just really need Visa to come through with a new credit card for him before he can move on.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
939 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20-year-old son lost wallet in Jakarta

I hope everything worked out for you guys.

9. Re: 20-year-old son lost wallet in Jakarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 30, 2009