We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping For Wedding

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping For Wedding

Hi,

I'm planning to travel to Jakarta in October with my mum and sister to get stuff of my sister's wedding (favors, invitation cards, dresses). Can you recommend some places that we should go to get these items, in terms of variety and cost?

One more thing, how much should I expect to pay for a taxi from the Airport to the Pacific Place Mall area?

Thanks.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping For Wedding

Hello,

Taxi from airport to Pacific Place is around Rp200,000

or less depending on traffic.

Many people go for their wedding supply (invitation, flowers, gifts) at Pasar Grosir Jatinegara. the whole place is selling all wedding-related items.

Other place is Mangga Dua, but the choice is not as many as Jatinegara.

For wedding dress, you might want to search at Wedding Gallery at Mall Taman Anggrek.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping For Wedding

If you have specific designer in mind, you might want to contact them directly.

Chenny Han has a boutique at Plaza Indonesia (across the travel agent on 3rd floor).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping For Wedding

Thank you for the recommendations, Cirque. The designer that you mentioned, is that for western wedding dresses? FYI, I'm Malay, and my sister is looking for traditional dresses (e.g. modern cut kebayas) for the ceremonies. Can you recommend the places where we should go?

How far is the Pasar in Jatinegara from Pacific Mall?

Thanks again.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping For Wedding

Oh I see, Chenny Han is designed modern wedding dress only.

If you want some modern kebayas, you got 3 alternatives.

1. Buy from renowned designer (if you have any favourites).

2. Buy from department stores. Many department stores have some designer sections like Metro in Plaza Senayan (it's near Pacific Place) or if you want batik creation, go to Pasaraya Blok M or Sarinah (look for batik floor). The new Alun-Alun Indonesia at Grand Indonesia shopping town also has all-Indonesian inspired creation.

3. Buy the fabric, sew it at tailor. Good selection of fabrics can be bought at Pasar Tanah Abang Blok A (the name is 'pasar', but actually, it's 9-storey air-con wholesale center. You can buy fabrics at basement levels.

All mentioned places are less than 1 hour taxi ride from Pacific Place (if traffic is not hazardous, it can be reached within 30mins to Tanah Abang or Grand Indonesia).

Jatinegara is around 40mins ride from Pacific Place. Are you staying at Ritz Carlton? Always insist the taxi driver to drop you off at hotel lobby. Most of the taxi drivers don't know where the hotel lobby is, they will drop you at the mall lobby. From there, you need to go long way through the basement, then take elevator to the ground floor hotel lobby, then you need to take another elevator to take you to guestroom floors.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping For Wedding

You couLd get Weddingku Catalogue at big bookstores, or check their site weddingku.com

And yes, Pasaraya and ALun-ALun Indonesia are highLy recommended

6. Re: Shopping For Wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:22 am, September 30, 2009