We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights in Indonesia

PA
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Flights in Indonesia

I need to purchase flights for our trip around the country and it looks like you can't do it on line with Garuda. Does anyone have a travel agency they have worked with to arrange flights and drivers? Or do you suggest waiting until we get to Jakarta and purchasing the tickets there?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights in Indonesia

Hello jackbe,

You may do the purchase by contacting travel agents in Jakarta. Some reputable ones are:

Dwidaya Travel www.dwidayatravel.com Phone:62-21-62203388

Bayu Buana www.bayubuanatravel.com Phone:62-21-23509999

although you might find their email address, my suggestion is to give them a call whenever possible.

Do ask them on the payment, etc.

Alternatively, other Indonesian domestic carriers that allow online bookings are:

Batavia air www.batavia-air.co.id

Lion air www.lionair.co.id

Indonesia airasia www.airasia.com

If you have tight schedule, I do not recommend to book Air Asia or Batavia. They are prone to delays and sudden cancellation (especially Indonesia AirAsia)

PA
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights in Indonesia

Cirque,

Do inter country flights book quickly? Do you think it is fine to wait until we arrive and then book flights? We are just going to Yogi and Bali and back to Jakarta.

Thanks,

jack

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights in Indonesia

Hi jackbe,

Well, it's depend on the season you travel. June and July is peak season in Indonesia as school children is having their holiday, so flights to Jogja and Bali might be booked fast.

It is recommended for you to book your flight rather than waiting to get ticket upon arriving in Jakarta (if you don't mind to pay for expensive ticket, then it's okay to purchase upon arrival in Jakarta).

However, the airlines I mentioned earlier (Lion Air and Batavia) have flights to both cities and you can book it online. But if you insist on flying Garuda, then you can always purchase it via travel agent or call them at 62-21- 2351-9999

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,571 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights in Indonesia

Hi

Actually there is no need to do all this hassle as far as the question is only tickets to Bali and Jogya. Garuda flys to Bali , for example, 10 (or so ) a day. And do not forget other companies! So this way or another you`ll get your tickets and manage all in-counrty trips upon arrival in Jakarta. Garuda sales counter is easy located at arrival level of Soekarno Hatta, so can purchase all the tickets you need immediately after you clear the customs.

And as recommendation I ADVICE to use only Garuda flights - they at least are safer.

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights in Indonesia

Hi all

I have flown with Air Asia (malaysian and thai versions) quite a lot and have found them quite good .

However I have not flown with Indonesian Air Asia before and hust assumed that they were just as good.

I have booked Jakarta-Solo flights with them this July, but after reading the above I am not sure if I have done the right thing.

Are they not as safe or relaible as the Malaysian and Thai Air Asia?

Would you advise against flying with them?

I am not sure what to do now.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,571 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights in Indonesia

Yes they are (let me say) second handed in comparison with their Thai and Mal sisters.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights in Indonesia

Well, I would say their operations (Indonesia AirAsia or QZ) is not as good as their sisters.

QZ still equipped with old B737, not the all-A320 like Malaysia AirAsia (AK flights).

They still need to catch up with their sisters. Well, which flight to Solo are you taking? If you take the late flights (afternoon or evening), there is a bigger chance that your flight might be delayed (I think they cannot catch up with 20mins turnaround time in Indonesia). However, they (always) send notification thru SMS or email if your flight got delayed/cancelled.

You can get clear picture by this case: Indonesia AirAsia operates night flight to Kota Kinabalu and Kuching (last flight of the day of that aircraft). Out of 3 flights weekly to Kuching, 2 flights always get delayed! Their ETD is 1900hrs, but airport monitor always shows delayed until 2300hrs.

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights in Indonesia

I am taking the 15:05 flight from Jakarta to solo.

I'm really heading to Yogyokarta but as i can't book Garuda flights on line I decided to fly with Air Asia to Solo which also gives me a chance to spend a little bit of time in Solo before heading on.

From Yogyakarta I am flying malaysian Air Asia to KL and then to Kota Kinabalu.

I know there is a flight from Jakarta to Kota Kinabalu but it dosen't connect with the flight coming from Solo to Jakarta which mean't I'd have to spend another night in Jakarta which would be a bit of a waste of time for me.And besides by flying to KL and then onto KK I'll be with AK instead of QZ Air Asia-and I also managed to get cheap fares for the flights:)

Solo dose sound interesting so I am not worried about actually being there (in fact I am looking foward to it) I am more concerened at how I'm getting there!

My planned travel date to Solo is on a Saturday so I thought trying to buy train tickets when I arrived might be tricky/difficult for the day I need to travel on and I have also read posts that suggest that train travel can also be quite unreliable.

I actually really hadn't thought twice about flying QZ Air Asia until I read the previous posts-but I have flown on the old 737's with both AK and FD Air Asia before they upgraded their fleets without too many problems...

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights in Indonesia

Well hope everything goes okay with the AirAsia. 3pm flights is considered afternoon flight, got chance to be delayed, especially if the plane is arriving late from previous destination.

It is as comfortable as FD and AK, only the on-time performance need to catch up.

colorado
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights in Indonesia

i know this is really old, but safari tours in manado was great with us.