We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atm in JKT

Fairmount City...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Topic
atm in JKT

Hello,

I use the ATM during my travels and would like to use it also in Jakarta. It is convenient and easy. Can anyone think of any reasons not to use the ATM while in JKT? Thanks for any tips.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: atm in JKT

Hello,

Sure you can conveniently use ATM while in Jakarta. Most ATM are already joined Visa and Mastercard network.

Reasons not to use ATM in Jakarta:

1. ATM robbery is on the rise. Never at any circumstances you withdraw your money from a standalone ATM in a quiet neighborhood or any ATM that is located on the roadside, especially if (again) there is no people passing by that area. It is always better to withdraw ATM which is located in the shopping mall (look if there is any guard nearby) or ATM located inside the bank.

2. ATM fraud is on the rise. Police had caught many syndicate from various Asian countries that do such crime in Indonesia. They can copy your data stored in your ATM card and use it to withdraw money from your account. So it's always better to scramble your password after you done with the ATM.

Fairmount City...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: atm in JKT

Cirque,

Thanks for the tips on using ATMs safely in JKT. Fortunately I won't have to rely on it too much, and with the extra precaution I can use the machines.

3. Re: atm in JKT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 28, 2009