We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

Hello..

The last time i sent this similar posting, my family ended up not going for our short trip due to work commitments.

Now i am determined not to let anything get in the way again. So I'm trying to make the best out of my trip this time.

I have came up with a tentative itinerary. Experts - feel free to give me yr input ok??

5D4N to Jakarta / Bandung / Puncak

1st day - hopefully we will reach hotel by 4pm local time. Hang out at the local malls ie. Plaza Indonesia & Plaza Senayan etc.

2nd day - Go shopping in Bogor in the morning and back to the city malls (or Mangga Dua)

3rd day - Go to Bandung / Puncak via the expressway. Stay overnight.

4th day - Go back to Jakarta thru the other route. Stop by at Puncak Pass... And Taman Safari and back to hotel.

5th day - Home Sweet Home

Questions:

1. My main aim is to shop and eat and shop and eat.. haha. Heard that the shopping in Bogor and Mangga Dua is a must. How far apart is Bogor and Mangga Dua? Can i shop at both places on the 2nd day?

2. Which are the gd recommended hotels? Preferably somewhere smack in the heart of the city to minimize travelling time etc. My budget is abt 100 - 150 SGD (600,000 to 900,000 rupiah)?

3. Food wise - From my previous posting, i have been recommended to go to Kelapa Gading area. Is tat a mall? I have also been told to check out the Bakmi Gajah Mada and Ayam Mbok Brek and of course the many2 Nasi Padang eateries. ANy others i shld check out? Any nice places to eat in Puncak , Bogor?

4. What time do the malls close? Any other places of interest that I shld include? Are there any Botanic Gardens in the city or Bandung or Bogor?

ANy advice is greatly appreciated.

Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

Oooppps 1 final question :

Which are the good hotels or resorts in Puncak? Dont seem to find any info on the Net. Quite puzzling..

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

Hello there...

quite a busy tour schedule...

btw, i try to ans your questions

1. Why not go to Orchard road and VivoCity instead?!? (Just Kidding! hahaha).

Bogor and Mangga Dua is very far! Actually what things you want to find from those places?!? While in Bogor, head to Tajur for bags and shoes, buy asinan Bogor (fruit rojak in chili sauce) in Gedung Dalam, or browse the local wet markets for fresh produce at Pasar at the side of Botanic Gardens (Kebun Raya Bogor) that leads to Jalan Siliwangi, you can find fruits, veggies, rabbits, and souvenir shops besides Plaza Bogor. In Jalan Siliwangi you can find local foods (soto bogor, soto mie (soto with noddles), and manisan).

Shops at city center of Bogor opens in the morning until afternoon. While bags shops at Tajur opens like shopping malls. 10am to evening. So it is best to go to Bogor in the morning and go to Mangga Dua after that.

In Mangga Dua you can find clothing at ITC Mangga Dua, computers, gadgets, and electronics at Mall Mangga Dua. Other mega mall is Mangga Dua Square with adjacent Novotel. Shops in mangga dua opens from 10am onwards. Some shops at ITC closed early around 6pm.

2. For that budget, hunt for 3 or 4 stars hotel. If you do not have much complain of room size, Ibis Hotels can give you best rates. Ibis Tamarin and Ibis Arcadia are centrally located. Novotel Mangga Dua is adjacent to Mangga Dua Square for easy shopping and dining. Hotel Millennium Sirih can be a choice also. Or try Hotel Atlet Century Senayan at the back of Plaza Senayan.

3. Kelapa Gading is a name for an area, just like Tampines or Harbourfront. But it has massive development. At least it has 3 bigger malls, apartments, housing complexes, and others. It almost like a small city. The worth visit malls are Mall Kelapa Gading and Mall Artha Gading. Mall of Indonesia is still on the way to completion. You can also find alfresco eateries at La Piazza, adjacent to Mall Kelapa Gading.

Bakmi Gajah Mada has several outlets at the mall. If you go to Plaza Senayan, Bakmi Gajah Mada is just on the Basement level, opposite Hero Supermarket, take stairs beside Metro Department Store. It also opens at food court area 5th floor in Senayan city, opposite Plaza Senayan

Padang restaurant is widely spread around the city. In puncak, there are several Padang restaurants. In Cipanas Puncak, Simpang raya is the most famous one. In Jakarta, there is Sari Ratu restaurant in Plaza Indonesia (Basement level).

4. Malls are open from 10am to 10pm.

Bogor is famous for its Botanical garden (Kebun Raya Bogor) which is located in the heart of the city. it is the only place to view Rafflesia flower in Java island.

5. Regarding to Puncak Hotels, there is Novus Puncak resort, the only star hotels in Puncak. http://www.novuspuncak.com/

Other accommodation in Puncak are bungalows or villas and can be rented daily. Several restaurants in Cipanas also have rooms for rent.

Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

Wow that's a very prompt and detailed reply. Thank u very much.

Hehe.. i am shopping for clothes mostly. U know.. simple tops, skirts, female accessories.. Girls stuff.

So i was told to check out Bogor and Mangga Dua. And i think they mentioned Rumah Mode too. Not sure where this is though.

So i doubt i have e time to go to all these fantastic malls u have mentioned. I can most likely visit 2 of them max. So if i were to just choose 2 , which wld you recommend? Seems Plaza Senayan is a gd choice.

For Waroeng Podjok & Ayam Mbok Brek, which other malls can i find their outlets?

I have also been recommended to go to Restoran Rindu Alam at Puncak. Supposed to have fantastic food with good views.

Accommodation wise, i think i am settling for Le Meridien. Got a quote that is within our budget. And the location is not bad too (i think!).

I will definitely check out the Botanic Gardens. Thks for yr recommendation.

By the way, is Bandung in Puncak? Are they both different places? So shld we stay in Bandung or Puncak? I am not sure here...

Thks again yah..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

check out this map

macalester.edu/geography/courses/geog261/bme…

jakarta - bogor - bandung are different cities.

each has their own shopping area and food specialties.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

on the map, find Mt Gede (southern Bogor).

The area of Mt Gede (along Bogor and Cianjur) is called Puncak.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

For the malls in Jakarta:

1. Plaza Senayan is filled with high-end fashion labels at first floor, medium range fashion at second, baby/kids fashion and foods at the third. There are 2 department stores, 2 supermarkets, kinokuniya bookshop.

I recommend this if you want a one-stop shopping experience. If you still not satisfies, head to Senayan City across. Moreover same layout as Plaza Senayan, only it has 5th floor of shopping experience (which means more shops!)

2. Waroeng Podjok can be found at Plaza Senayan 2nd floor, just near the entrance of Metro Dept Store

Ayam Mbok Berek is not yet open the branch in the mall.

3. Puncak and Bandung is totally different places.

If you take a straight line, the line will link Jakarta - Bogor - Puncak - Bandung.

Although nowadays you can go to Bandung without passing Puncak and Bogor if there is congested traffic jam in Puncak (thanks to new highway).

4. Le Meridien Jakarta is moreover as old as its sister in Singapore. So expect a so so service from a 5-star property.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

Oh... forgot to mention one thing, although Le Meridien is a so so hotel, it has a wonderful spa. So you can relax after tired of shopping! hehehe...

Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

Hello cirque and bandungman. Again, thks for yr info! And Happy New Year! :)

Sorry to bug you again. I have concerns over transportation to Bandung, Bogor & Tmn Safari.

I'll be travelling with a 3 yrs old son. Wld you recommend for us to use Xtrans & Cipaganti shuttle service to travel to Bandung?

If we're staying in Le Meridien, is the pick-up point anywhere near the hotel?

Tried emailing to them directly but no replies yet :(

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

I usually stay at the Alia hotel - it is pretty reasonably priced and although the area street isn't great pretty close to most of the malls by Taxi.

Breakfast is good and it has a little bit of a designer edge for the price.

My favorite place to stay is the Mulia but that is a bit out of your budget range I think !

The most important thing to do in JKT is plan your day around avoiding the bad traffic I find !

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jakarta - Food and Shopping Paradise Part 2

Hi Tiara

It is not advisable to travel by express train since you have a kid,The train terminal is chaotic and you have luggage to tag along .It is too much a hassle,(a)hotel to Railway station then(b) from Bundung train station (c) shuttle service to hotel .

This would be better and direct.By van to Bundung and drop you off at your hotel when you reach Bundung