We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble buying LionAir, Merpati, etc. tickets online

Phoenix, Arizona
4 posts
Save Topic
Trouble buying LionAir, Merpati, etc. tickets online

Hi fellow travelers!

Using tiket.com and the specific Lionair and Merpati websites I've been unable to buy tickets online. They either want local payment methods (the Indonesian versions of Paypal) or credit card. I pick credit card but they are not accepting my Visa debit card or my friends.

I was able to purchase Singapore to Jakarta and Jakarta to Yogyakarta with these cards but not the others (Yogyakarta->Bali or Bali->Lombok).

1. Is there a reason they are not accepting my card from the United States? Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Can I wait and buy the tikets later directly at the airport, or do I need to buy in advance to ensure there are flights left?

Thank you for your helpfulness, this forum is great!

-Michelle

Alhaurin el Grande...
Level Contributor
855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble buying LionAir, Merpati, etc. tickets online

Hi Michelle,

This is a recurring problem. These domestic airline sites do not seem to be connected with international credit card channels. It may also be a matter of policy: flights with Garuda booked from abroad are priced much higher than when booked locally.

You have two alternatives:

Use the services of Mau Ke Mana: http://flights.indonesiamatters.com/about/ , for a fee!

Book at an agent or at the airport once you are in Indonesia. But I think you should only do that if you can book a week in advance - longer in peak season (Indonesian school holidays mid June through mid July; and the first three weeks of August, i.e. end-of-fast holidays and independence day).

Theo

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble buying LionAir, Merpati, etc. tickets online

Hi Michelle,

The problem is that for most of domestic sector, local airlines such as Lion Air restrict the payment to credit card issued in Indonesia only.

For domestic sector such as Yogyakarta to Bali, I recommend you to buy AirAsia ticket which is hassle free in terms of making booking

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trouble buying LionAir, Merpati, etc. tickets online

I can report great success by visiting Lion Air Tower in Jakarta. They gave me the internet rate, let me pay by visa, and did it all very efficient.

I do a lot to avoid paying agents and fees so I'm thinking that it is also worth trying making the reservation with ATM payment and then walk into a bank and make Them do the transfer?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trouble buying LionAir, Merpati, etc. tickets online

<<I can report great success by visiting Lion Air Tower in Jakarta. They gave me the internet rate, let me pay by visa, and did it all very efficient.>>

Good for you, but not all traveler have the time to visit Jakarta just to specifically buy airline ticket from the city ticket office... I sense the airport counter can do that as well, but even internet rate will be so expensive if you buy last minute (unless you're traveling on a very popular route)

ATM payment is one of the most popular method of payment for Indonesians, but not all bank allow interbank transfer unless the bank belongs to certain transfer union.

5. Re: Trouble buying LionAir, Merpati, etc. tickets online

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 04, 2014