We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Bromo

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Bromo

Hi, my plan was to visit bromo but I assume it's no longer possible due to the recent eruption. Can I ask for an alternative, I was originally planning to visit java overland so should I now fly directly to Yogyakarta? and move on to Sumatra after a week our so in Yogyakarta. Thanks fire your help.

Mentioned in this post
Java
Java
Indonesia
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Bromo

It's kinda risky to visit Bromo these days, however, you can try your luck if you want. But if you want to be on the safer side, you can fly directly to Yogyakarta and then move your way to Sumatra.

Mentioned in this post
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Bromo

Thanks, I don't want to take the risk, so now the scenario is that I have my flight booked for tomorrow from Bali to Jakarta and my plan was to miss this flight and travel to Java overland, now if I can't change this flight to Yogyakarta and fly to Jakarta instead what are my options of getting to Yogyakarta and how long does it take?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Java
Java
Indonesia
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Bromo

Still, either you're starting from Denpasar, Bali or Jakarta, the fastest way to get to Yogyakarta is by taking plane. Flight from Jakarta to Yogyakarta would be around 1 hour.

So, rather than to get around, it's advisable if you can get a flight from Bali to Yogyakarta.

Other option to get to Yogyakarta from Jakarta is by train, but this would take 8 hours and from recent train incident (2 days ago), it's hardly a commercial that taking train is preferable choice.

Mentioned in this post
Denpasar
Denpasar
Bali, Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Bromo

Thanks heaps, I am going to book another flight to YOGYAKARTA, however not sure if domestic flights are also effected by the eruption.

What are the places to stay in on a budget and the area to stay in that is easier to get around for touring. How far is Broobudur from Yogyakarta.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Bromo

Domestic flights so far not affected.

Yogyakarta is approx 60km away from Borobudur or around 2hours ride. However, the cold lava floods are still haunting the main road between two places; so expect longer travel time if this happens.

Most people choose to stay in/around Malioboro area; that's the main tourist street in Yogyakarta; easy to get everywhere such as Keraton (Sultan Palace) and markets. Also, from there you can easily take comfortable TransJogja bus system that goes all the way to Prambanan, another interesting temple to visit other than Borobudur. Prambanan is located closer to Yogyakarta airport. Lots of budget accommodation can be found at Sosrowijayan, a backpacker area off Malioboro Street. But for a comfortable stay, I recommend Ibis Maliboro (3 star, right at Maliboro Street, adjacent to shopping mall - easy to get food).

Mentioned in this post
Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel (SPG by Marriott International)
Keraton at The Plaza, a...
609 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Malioboro Inn
Malioboro Inn
21 Reviews
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Borobudur
Borobudur
Magelang, Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt Bromo

This user has just done her trip to Yogyakarta tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294230-i9252-k399… (see reply #20)

She stayed at a hotel outside the town and use car hire + driver to get around (so she's not on a budget, but car rental is pretty cheap). You can use her trip report as an inspiration on your trip as well.

Mentioned in this post
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Mijas, Spain
Level Contributor
858 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mt Bromo

There is enough to do when traveling from Bali to Yogyakarta overland, apart from Bromo volcano.

As volcano's go, you can still visit Ijen crater and Kelud volcano. See my tips on Virtual Tourist (Ijen: members.virtualtourist.com/m/c8969/1297dc/, Kelud: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/c8969/1290c9/4/).

If you take en interest to temples, see also Trowulan and Blitar.

Theo

Mentioned in this post
Kelud Volcano
Kelud Volcano
93 Reviews
Kediri, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Blitar
Blitar
East Java, Indonesia
Malang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mt Bromo

Bromo, this volcano is still in eruption today, we don't know when will be stoped. If you force to visit Bromo at this moment, you just allow to see (if you get lucky wheather) sunrise from View Point 2. Forbiden to through the sea of sand and the crater, coz the safe area is 2 km square from the crater. My suggestion, skip Bromo and change to Ijen Crater, Batu Village, Mt Kelud (with son volcano), Sempu Island, Sukamade Turtle Beach etc. These are in one province with Bromo. You can try it ..... After finished to explore them, you may head to Yogyakarta. It's from of my experiences .... Have a nice trip

Mentioned in this post
Ijen Crater
Ijen Crater
2,313 Reviews
Banyuwangi, Indonesia
Sempu Island
Sempu Island
282 Reviews
Malang, Indonesia
Sukamade Beach
Sukamade Beach
143 Reviews
Banyuwangi, Indonesia
Batu
Batu
East Java, Indonesia
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mt Bromo

Hi,

Where are you going to visit in Sumatra?

Pamela

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mt Bromo

Pamela, I wanted to visit Medan and the big lake there, not sure what else there is to see but my main reason was it's closeness to both Singapore and Malaysia where I want to end up.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore