We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanah Lot in the morning?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
32 reviews
Tanah Lot in the morning?

Hi there,

I'm looking at possible stops on the way up north on our upcoming trip and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on visiting Tanah Lot in the early morning? As we're travelling with a small human who rarely sleeps past sunrise (who am I kidding, that'd be a sleep in!!), we will probably leave Kuta early in the morning on our first day so I'm thinking we could probably be there by 8-9am.

I know the normal thing is to go at night but I've always avoided that as I hate the idea of sharing it with thousands of other tourists.

Anyway any thoughts or opinions would be great. Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Tanah Lot in the morning?

Hi Guys,

Tanah lot is open from 7am but you can not actually go into the temple its self. You can wander across to base of the temple at low tide. If it is high tide how ever all you can do is look from the shore line. It is nice enough but after 10-15 minutes it is pretty much done...

This is the tide chart so you can see if you will be there at low tide.

indosurflife.com/surfreports/tidecharts/

Cheers

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Tanah Lot in the morning?

Plenty to do other than happy snaps of the temple.

Good cliff top walks with views.

Stop at a cafe overlooking the temple.

High prices but worth it.

Of course wander through the markets.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
267 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Tanah Lot in the morning?

We got there just after 6.00am and thoroughly enjoyed walking at our own pace and taking photos without too many people around. There were already about 6 tourist buses there consisting of school kids and Muslim families (think they were from Java) and we were the attraction, they all wanted their photo taken with us, heaps of laughter as not much english spoken. It also surprised our driver that you can park free of charge if you are there before 7.00 when it officially opens. Go early you will not regret it. Meant to say we visited in November 2015.

Edited: 10:21 pm, February 28, 2016
Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: Tanah Lot in the morning?

I forgot to mention.

I have been to Tanah Lot over 20 times at sunset to get the perfect photo of the sun setting

behind the temple.

Even in the dry season clouds appear on the horizon to spoil the shots.

The only perfect sun set I saw was in the wet season.

it had rained all day but I decided to take my friends to Tanah Lot anyway.

About 5 O'clock the clouds vanished and left clear blue skies.

The sun set as an orange globe behind the temple.

Every one clapped and cheered.

However now I take friends any time of the day.

5. Re: Tanah Lot in the morning?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 01, 2017