We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
153 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

It seems that ATMs aren't that reliable in Bali. If I take my loaded credit card into a bank are they happy to do a cash advance in the bank. I'm taking cash(on T/A expert advice;-) but hope to use a card as backup. If banks would do this what would be the closest bank to Jalan Cemara.

Many thanks

melbourne
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

I doubt you could do that at a bank. Your credit card company would also charge as cash advance and you'd pay interest on it immediately. Have you not got a debit card?

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
153 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

I don't have a debit card and I'm pretty sure (will have to double check) that if your credit card is in credit enough to cover the withdrawal (and then some), you don't have to pay interest on it immediately. I know there will be bank fees probably on the Bali side and the NZ side but I'd probably get that anyway if I used ATM.

Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

Hate to say but even if u load your credit card so u r actually in credit you will still get charged a cash advance etc fee. I have spoken in depth with asb and the warehouse credit card people

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
153 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

Hi snotbox, yup you are right with the cash advance fee ( It's $3.00NZ and then there are a few other fees if you do it through an ATM)

T/A's very good advice is to TAKE CASH AND USE CASH FOR EVEYTHING and I'm going to do exactly that. However, if I manage to get through the cash (might see something I can't resist that I can't put on the Visa LOL) I would happily use an ATM for cash, however ATMs seem to enjoy gobbling up cards so was just wondering if you go into a bank will they do a cash advance on your visa. I think in all honesty I'm just better off taking more cash than I need.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

I take cash, but I pay for my hotel with my CC card . I take under $100.00 per day and and I have never had to use an ATM to get more money.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
396 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

Use a reputable ATM and no problems.

I use the Commonwealth Bank ATMs and never had a problem, though only if I run out of cash.

melbourne
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

We take cash too. Pay for hotel, restaurants, supermarkets etc on credit card. We always have cash left over. Better to take too much and just exchange enough for each day, so then you don't have to exchange back again.

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

You will not be able to use your card for an over the counter cash advance at a bank. However, you will be able to use an ATM inside a bank, and this is a safer way of accessing money compared to an ATM on the street.

Talk to your bank about fees, but if you are in credit you won't be charged any interest.

melbourne
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

I'm pretty sure the 28degrees MasterCard charges interest on cash advances now. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That used to be a benefit of the card, but not anymore. I'd be surprised if other credit cards didn't do the same? I guess the only way to find out is to ask your specific bank.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
153 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will banks (not ATMs) give a cash advance on a loaded credit

Hi como8. We have already paid for our accommodation so basically it's just living and spending money.I know a few T/A D/E's have said allow about $100 a day per person so that's what I'm working on. I'm assuming that wouldn't cover day trips etc. so am hoping to book and pay for those in Bali with the visa. We have a few days in KL both before and after 11 days in Bali and not sure what prices will be like there so a wee bit hard to do a budget. I'll Just take more cash and if it's in NZ$ it's no biggy . The question re credit cards was more for emergencies or impulse purchases (you get to our age and anything can happen LOL. Yes we do have travel insurance:-)