We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach/Hotel Recommendation for travelling with a baby

UK
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Beach/Hotel Recommendation for travelling with a baby

Hi There,

My husband and I will be taking our first holiday in Bali for 6 days with our 7 months old baby. We read that South bali is the place to go for first timers, is it true. From the hotel reviews, we are tempted to stay at Damai Lovina Villa (in Lovina Beach) or Alam Shanti hotel(UBub). However, we are not sure if both places will give us good accessibility to places of interests such as a nice beach, see the hussle and bustle of Bali.

It would be great to stay at somewhere with a nice beach and within easy commute to bali activites, and also easy to take rests to feed our baby.

Can anyone recommend a suitable place?

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Lovina Beach
Lovina Beach
Bali, Indonesia
Bali
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach/Hotel Recommendation for travelling with a baby

If you want the beach and see the hussle bustle of Bali, then South is your place.

Damai Lovina is on a hill at North Coast, nowhere near the beach although you could have the ocean view.

Ubud is not on the beach as well, it's a mountain resort but could give you a good access for the Bali culture, history and other tourist destinations.

You could split your trip by staying at the South and Ubud. If you like a touristic area, then stay at Kuta or Legian. If you prefer a more quiet place, then go to Seminyak.

You could easily feed your baby anywhere, on the beach if you have the meals prepared or even take a coffee in a restaurant and ask for a boiled mineral water to mix the baby's food.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Legian
Legian
Kuta District, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
UK
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach/Hotel Recommendation for travelling with a baby

Many thanks for your advice Ersano! A little more details about our preference in Bali:..

We are hoping to stay at a place not too touristy, as seeing the local people and their way of life is what we would enjoy most, as opposed to being in a resort where there are lots of tourists/ backpackers.

Apart from seeing the local people, we are also interested in good food, shopping, scenery, nice beach and easy access to sightseeing. Sea actvities are out because of the baby.

As we are in our thirties with a baby, we would love a place not packed with bars and full of loud drunken poeple.

We would still like to see the touristy and cultural places, e.g. kuta, as a passing through, so that we can see Bali the way most tourists have seen.

In terms of recommendation of staying in both Ubud and Seminyak, is it okay to move between 2 hotels, i.e. is it time wasted on the move rather than doing day trips to other places, considering we are only there for 6 full days?

By the way, what is there for us to do in Ubud, does fit in with our interests?

Some other threads said that Sanur and Seminyak are recommended. Are they too touristy with respect to our interests?

Anyone with possible suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach/Hotel Recommendation for travelling with a baby

Dear Obiwan12,

Ubud is gorgeous and in the hills with lots of interesting shops and restaurants. But it is touristy, although not in the same way that Kuta is. It can also get very hot, depending on what time of year you are there and I found it hard to get around with a stroller.

We have been to Bali many times, before and after children, and Seminyak is definitely our preferred place to stay. It is quiet enough yet still with good atmosphere. it seems to be the expats hangout as well. Fantastic restaurants, from the incredibly cheap Trattoria which serves great Italian food (owned by Italian ex-pat), to my favourite, Kuni's, which is a beautiful restaurant serving yummy Japanese for a bargain, to La Lucciola or KuDeTa which are sophisticated, beautiful, friendly and great fun. La Lucc' and KDT are also great places to go with kids - they're big, the staff are fantastic and KDT even has a kids pool and lots of grass (and other kids) so they enjoy it whilst you enjoy cocktails, sun lounges, good music and so on. The last time we were there had a 23 month old and a 6 week old and spent whole days there, even though we were staying in the most beautiful villa.

Also Bodyworks is a divine spa - I prefer the one near The Legian over the one in main shopping strip.

If you want to shop it's a small cab ride into Jl. Legian which has shops which run all the way into Kuta.

As for beach, the only nice beach I've ever been to in Bali was in Padang Padang - I wouldn't attempt that with children though, a long steep walk down a cliff. The beach at Seminyak also has a really strong current. So, nice to be at a hotel, restaurant on the beach, but not on the beach itself - but I'm from Australia so a bit spoilt in that department.

In summary, Bali is one of my favourite places in the world and Seminyak is my favourite place in Bali.

Where to stay? Depends on your budget. Other people on the forum seem to know a lot more than me, I could only tell you about the places I've stayed in and that if I had the money, The Legian would be my top choice.

I hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Legian
Legian
Kuta District, Indonesia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach/Hotel Recommendation for travelling with a baby

Hi, you have some great advice here already. Ersano's advice is great. But as you only have 6 days a move may take time out of a short stay, specially with a baby. It does take time packing, checking out and in etc. If you do want 2 places Seminyak and Ubud would be my choices also.

I would base myself in Seminyak. From here you have restaurants, shops etc and you are only a short taxi ride to Kuta and Legian for markets.

I would do a trip Lake Bratan and Bedugul area. It's very pretty. You could sit by the lake for a while and feed the baby etc. The botanical gardens are nice also. The 2 lakes above lake Bratan are also nice. Near there is also the Git Git waterfall.

Kintamani (the volcano) is a fair drive so don't know if you want to be in a car for long periods with a baby.

Lovina is in north Bali and it isd very quiet there. It would mean long trips to other places of interest so I would not base myself there for the whole trip.

Mentioned in this post
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Legian
Legian
Kuta District, Indonesia
UK
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach/Hotel Recommendation for travelling with a baby

A big thank you to Ersano, Essdee and Catalyst for your suggestions!

Yes, I think Lovina beach is definitely out due to its location. We will probably stay at Seminyak, but not so sure about staying at Ubud.

The reason for considering Ubud was the potential time savings to travel from Ubud to rice fields, volcano, lakes, cookery classes and seeing local people's villages.

Does anyone know the extra time it will take to travel from seminyak to these places of interests?

Many thanks to Catalyst for your suggested itinaries, I will have to read up on these places. As we will be arriving on Christmas eve, maybe we should get accommodation and a driver sorted first before reading up on places of interests??

I am getting really excited to see beautiful Bali!

Once again, any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
6. Re: Beach/Hotel Recommendation for travelling with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, August 20, 2009