We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
89 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

I am just in the process of booking directly with a hotel in Ubud, which I have done several times before. This hotel however is asking for me to send then a photocopy of my credit card (both back and front) as well as completing their cc authorisation form (amount is blank) which will also have all these details provided?

It is is with a 4 star upmarket resort, so is certainly a legitimate property, however I am just a bit concerned about sending an actual photocopy of my credit card, as well as the authorisation form via email - should I be? any security issues? Have never encountered this request before?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

I had to do the same with my hotel in Sanur. If I didn't they would have held the room for me but wouldn't have taken full payment until we arrived. I wanted full payment on booking so I ended up doing as they requested and all worked out fine. To say I was a little nervous and hesitant was an understatement

Mt Martha, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

Was once advised to never send a photocopy of cc . Was told to fax details to hotel because it was safer. Don't know if that is still the case but now I email details to hotel but still will not photocopy cc. I would fill in their cc authorisation form, send it and wait. I'm sure there will be much better advice but in the meantime good luck.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,101 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

In Indonesia, it's actually standard for the banks to ask these things for credit card charges from overseas. However, if it's really a actual 4 star hotel they should have secure online payment services available. for you. Emails do get hacked and even the Myanmar Embassy in Jakarta had theirs official email hacked very recently I would be very careful sending this info personally.

Another hotel in Indonesia recently requested this from me and I decided to book another hotel (in Jakarta)

Also, never send a blank authoriztion no matter what..just too many risks involved in this day and age. Even if the hotel is ok the workers are human beings and things transmitted electronically are not as safe as we hope. Even if a hundred people have a safe expereience, yours could be the one that is not..

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,563 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

This is certainly not uncommon and there are many previous topics on this subject. If you're really uncomfortable doing this, then try to seek out the hotel on a reputable hotel booking site which employs the appropriate secure encryption. Anecdotally as a tourist I have been asked for and have provided this on a few occasions, both via fax and email, and have yet to encounter an issue. I have not been complacent though and have actively monitored my card account for any dubious transactions; there is a first time for everything. I once bought a T-shirt online from a reputable website which shall be nameless, with the appropriate encryption, using a card i rarely use, and found that the card had been used to buy an Oyster travel card in London subsequently.

Good luck with your decision.

belgium
Level Contributor
153 posts
1,319 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

After my last trip to indonesia i had fraudulent charges on 2 of my credit cards that i used there...the fraud section of my cc company informed me indonesia scores really high on their watch list! No way now I would send anybody there a copy of my card, might as well block it right away...

belgium
Level Contributor
153 posts
1,319 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

After my last trip to indonesia i had fraudulent charges on 2 of my credit cards that i used there...the fraud section of my cc company informed me indonesia scores really high on their watch list! No way now I would send anybody there a copy of my card, might as well block it right away...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

Hi Mitch H

We stay at a 4/5/ star hotel and have booked online for several years and they have always asked for CC info.

All my dealings with the hotel have been by email and I have never had a problem.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,991 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

>>>Was told to fax details to hotel because it was safer<<<

Fax is no safer than plain text email. A fax is effectively a sound transmitted image, that can be intercepted by anyone having access to that line with a fax machine.

OP, you've been given a great alternative by HMB about using a reputable online agent, should you feel uncomfortable about remitting the requested documents. There's nothing unusual about the request, and it actually happens more often in hotels around the world than one can imagine. Typically common are scenarios whereby a payment is authorised by someone other than the registered guest (think company paying for client, someone without a credit card and another non staying person paying, surprise gift etc).

One thing I would NOT do, is to send a signed CC Authorisation Form with a *blank* amount. The hotel should specify precise amounts that needs to be secured to make the reservation valid.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

I have also given the authorisation of cc to the hotel which is one of the most reputed hotel chain in middle east as they have charged one day booking charge advance which is non-refundable as per their rule. Usually most of the hotels or hotel booking site ask for this for the purpose of guarantee of the booking as for no show they can charge one day booking amount from your card. But if you feel uncomfortable for giving this information via email choose an alternative way of payment because if they are the 4/5 star rated they should have their online payment gateway which is secured and encrypted by 124 bit ss connection and https secured where you can give the card details so system will automatically charge the amount.

Have a wonderful holiday ahead.

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel wants photocopy of cc (back/front) for online booking?

When I have been asked to send cc information to secure a booking I always send half of my cc # in one e-mail and the other half in a second e-mail and the security # in a third. So far I have not had any problems with having unauthorized charges show up in my account and the hotel has had no problems with my doing it this way.