We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Credit card

During our next visit to Bali in October we are planning to take small amount of IDR and rest of the amount in USD as recommended in this forum for better exchange rate at the country. But can anyone have the idea about the use of a visa credit card containing chip( Chip credit card)? I mean if it can be used or accept everywhere(stores,shops etc.) in Bali?

Oslo
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card

cash is usually the way to go in bali, you can probably use your card at more "legit" places like shopping malls, big hotels, hospitals etc. i just use my card at the atms and then pay everything cash. read your (and your travelmates) different credit/debit card terms and conditions, if someone has a card that allows free international atm withdrawals, only use that card and send this guy money back home instead, because otherwise international atm withdrawals use to be like 5 dollars each which in bali is equal to 3-5 dinners :)

oh yeah and atms are usually very available, if youre going to a smaller more remote village you might want to check if they have atms before you go (i know amed in northern bali and medewi in west bali didnt have atms one year ago atleast)

melbourne
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card

We used our credit card at our hotels, department stores, restaurants, and fast food places like McDonalds and KFC. We had no problems at all.

We use a fee free credit card with no conversion fees.

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card

Don't these "fee free" credit cards give a poor rate of exchange instead?

Edited: 6:42 pm, August 13, 2014
melbourne
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card

I use the 28Degrees card and the exchange rate is excellent.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,038 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit card

saurish

Cash is 'king' in Bali. Smaller warungs, local market stalls, taxis etc all require cash, credit card is only available in larger establishments. $100 and $50 notes attract the best exchange rates.

tomkathy

The 28 degree credit card in excellent and has the best exchange rate. I don't travel without it.

The 28 degree card now has a small charge for withdrawing cash but is excellent for credit purchases. For withdrawing cash the citibank plus card is also recommended. Take a look at both of these, you apply online.

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit card

Yes thanks ,we travel a lot and find the Citibank card best so far.

7. Re: Credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 15, 2015