We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba diving without PADI certification?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba diving without PADI certification?

I know I know, "you shouldn't scuba dive without certification". I'm not looking for any crazy deep open water dive. But I was just wondering if there's any (legitimate) places to dive in Bali that don't require a certification. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba diving without PADI certification?

Yep all of them. You can do a discover scuba diving course which will give you the basic training on how everything works then you will go out on a couple of dives with a Dive Master.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba diving without PADI certification?

UrbanJungle is right, you can do a "discover scuba" program to get a taste of scuba safely without doing a whole course.

If you let us know where you are staying someone may be able to recommend a dive shop nearby.

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,682 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba diving without PADI certification?

Also, you need to know that you're OK to dive - ie, no asthma, sinus problems, heart problems etc. And if taking any medications, make sure from your doctor that they are OK to dive with. The pressure underwater can increase the effects of some medications. Avoid excessive alcohol the evening before.

And please check your travel insurance to make sure you are covered.

Edited: 7:31 pm, April 29, 2014
Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba diving without PADI certification?

UrbanJungle and ShazDwn are both correct: All Bali dive companies will do an "Intro" day for you - including us at AquaMarine Diving - Bali.

You are welcome to e-mail us on Info@AquaMarineDiving.com for further info and advice.

Re:CBImages' comment about insurance - yes, it's a good idea to check that your travel insurance covers scuba-diving, and any other similar activities you're planning to do. However I have two comments:

- Reputable dive companies in Bali carry insurance for guests while diving with them (ours is with MSIG)

- Divers' Alert Network (DAN) now offers 10 Day policies, but that might be a bit much for a 1Day Intro :-)

Annabel

5. Re: Scuba diving without PADI certification?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 03, 2015