We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New DPS Airport. (My Review)

Canning Vale W.Aust
Level Contributor
242 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
New DPS Airport. (My Review)

As I sit in the departure lounge tapping into the free wifi, I must admit that the new airport is something of the 21st century. Trouble was getting all the way to the gate.

Step 1. Taxi Dropoff - No Trolleys out the front but not too far to walk except the 30 degree incline up to security check No. 1.

Step 2. Security Check No.1. Females and Males go to separate lines for the security check. Im not a fan, having to leave the wife and two daughters to fend for themselves (which they accomplished with no problems).

Step 3. Air Asia check in - Easy.

Step 4. Departure tax line - no problem.

Step 5. Security - watching passengers from another country in a large travel group easily take over the airport security. One goes left, three go right, makes for funny stories at midnight.

Males one line, Females another (Time to tip out the water).

Step 6. Immigration - no problems, pretty quick line.

Step 7. New and Fancy and Flash was the duty free shops, I didn't want to shop but you have no choice but to encounter the crowds through narrow shopping aisles to get to the departure gates.

Step 8. Gate 5 Security. Yes, Air Asia you may take the water I just purchased from a vendor across the hall. Note Sarcasm tone.

Aircon is nice. Wife is sitting here with a blanky. Airport is clean. Toilets ok. We found some seating quite easy. As I look around there is at least 40 seats still free.

Good night

Pete.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,216 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New DPS Airport. (My Review)

Thanks Pete, interesting reading.

Good night.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New DPS Airport. (My Review)

Thank You for providing the summary of DPS! Very easy to read and interesting. I am curious as to why the need to separate passengers on a gender basis, that is curious!

Cheers

Batemans Bay...
Level Contributor
133 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New DPS Airport. (My Review)

Thanks Pete for the review. We just ended our trip last week and found the new airport to be a lot more efficient. One thing that is annoying, there are not to many places to eat. There is 1 cafe and a couple of small hot dog and donut shops.... Obviously the only cafe was very full but apart from that a major improvement..

Appears they separate the genders for screening purposes. The males had male customs officers and the girls had female custom offices searching them and their bags. Even my young daughters had to do through the "female" line...

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New DPS Airport. (My Review)

Thanks for the information, KeiraBBay!

I wonder what would happen to a couple, if one needed mobility assistance which was provided by their partner who was of the opposite gender!

I can understand the ethical nature of male to male, female to female, however a mixed line at other Airports appears to work quite well without the need for segregation.

Cheers

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,326 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New DPS Airport. (My Review)

Hi Pete, thanks for your impression of the airport. Step 7 is a doozy, my head was spinning around like someone out of the Exorcist trying to get through the duty free area.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New DPS Airport. (My Review)

Thanks for the info. I too wonder about the separating of gender for screening. What about children who visit with one parent? Say a mother with 2 boys. What do they do then? I know I certainly wouldn't be letting them go through themselves.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
520 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New DPS Airport. (My Review)

Thanks for review seems a bit weird making each gender go through certain ways tho

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
275 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New DPS Airport. (My Review)

Male and female children were allowed to stay with mother and checked by a female security officer.

We waited 15 minutes in a queue to get inside new terminal as the first security check is at the entrance.

I though airport was great especially the Gate waiting areas - plenty of seats. The Gate that was overflowing was Gate One with people sitting on the floor. No need to wait there however as they call over load speaker when boarding gates are open.

Lack of eating areas is a problem. My suggestion would be to take your own food or snacks. Next time I go to Bali I might bring a cooler type bag to store food for the airport.

Plenty of Duty Free areas - although still not as much as old terminal.

perth
Level Contributor
106 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New DPS Airport. (My Review)

Went through DPS couple of days ago. Although screening said separate lines for males and females people were being allowed through either for some reason with nothing being said to passengers in wrong queue.

Found airport greatly improved although hot dogs were almost the only thing available to eat as main coffee shop was not open. It was 3 am though!

Air con was excellent.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New DPS Airport. (My Review)

I have been through the airport 3 times and have never noticed the sign separating men fro women - I always just follow my husband, we have had no problems, so wouldnt worry about it.