We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

NYC
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

Hi all, I will be spending 5 nights in Seminyak and 5 nights in Ubud at the tail end of this month/beginning of February with my parents and 2 siblings (my siblings and I are all in our 20's). We'll be staying at The Royal Beach Seminyak and Ubud Village Resort&Spa. I just have several general questions and I'm hoping the answers will help me plan our trip a little better.

1. We would like to go river rafting while in Ubud, but I'm not sure if we should do the Ayung River or Telaga River. What is the difference between the two? Can anyone suggest a tour company to go through?

2. We are thinking about doing a little hiking, but I am not sure if we would be up for heading to Mt. Batur at 2am. I'm looking for something a little lighter and more casual than that as we are not really hikers, but we would like some good scenery. Are there any places we could go to hike?

3. I definitely plan on getting massages. I am looking for a mid-range day spa in Seminyak to start off the vacation. I read about Murano Spa, and I am liking those prices. Are there any other comparable places? What about Ubud? And can anyone suggest any cheaper massages without the frills? I figure I'll treat myself to one nice spa session and the rest will be no-frills massages.

4. What is the average cost for a driver? We have family friends from Indonesia and have been recommended a driver for $70USD for the 5 of us. I'm not sure if that is a normal price or not. I'm also not sure how the driver system works as I feel like there will be days when we might only need a quick cab ride to places. Or days when we might go through a tour company for excursions and such instead.

5. Even at nice hotels, is brushing teeth with bottled water a must? I've read about the bad gastroenteritis going around, and thankfully we are a family of doctors and nurses, but of course the last thing we want is to be sick on the toilet for days!

6. Is the Elephant Safari Park worth it? Are there multiple parks or just one, and if multiple, which one is most recommended? What tour company should we go through?

7. We are considering getting some snorkeling in. Where is the best place to go for snorkeling?

8. We are planning to have Sunday Brunch at Soleil (vs. dinner at The Cafe) at the Mulia Resort. Are there any public beaches or specific sites in Nusa Dua worth checking out after brunch since we'll be in the area anyways?

9. Which rice terraces should we visit? It seems like Ubud Village Resort is right by rice terraces, but I'm not sure if there is one specific rice terrace on the island that is a must-see.

Probably as the trip gets closer, I'll have more of a rough itinerary in mind, but for now, am just trying to plan places to go to and how to go about making arrangements (i.e. tour companies vs. going on our own with a driver). Thanks in advance!

NYC
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

OK

1. Telaga river is reported to have the least steps so thats what I would choose.

2. You can do a Campuhan ridge walk in Ubud......http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g297701-d2662551-Reviews-Campuhan_Ridge_Walk-Ubud_Bali.html

3. There are massage places on every corner in every area of Bali, many in Ubud. The one I used there was Zen.

4. Driver costs these days are 250 000 to 300 000 for 4 hour half day and 500 000 to 550 000 for 8 hour day and add 50 000rp per hour on that you extend it by. That is $55 so your price seems too high.

5.Wherever I travel , I brush my teeth in bottled water. It's like 25c a litre....don't even take the risk.

6. The Elephant safari is very popular and a long full day (take bathers). Well wether you mean Taro or Safari and Marine....both are popular. You can buy tivckets all over but the one I have used is Gogetbali gogetbali.com/bali-activities/adventures-act…

7. I have snorkled in Talumben on the East coast and thoroughly enjoyed it.

9. The rice terraces at tegallalang 10 minutes or so from Ubud are spectacular. Watch the pesky hawkers though. Nearby is a road that is 5 kms full of shopping, cheap fixed price from artisans......closed Sundays.

Sometimes you get more answers if you ask a couple of questions at a time. Feel free to keep asking as you plan.

Edited: 9:07 am, January 15, 2014
NYC
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

Thank you! Wasnt sure if it would be better or worse to lump all of my questions in one post.

The Campuhan walk seems to be something we might like to do, so I will look into that more.

NYC
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

How's the scenery at Telaga River vs. Ayung River?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
520 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

My daughter did rafting on the Ayung River darn near killed them walking back up the stairs after the rafting. Was also stairs down to start the rafting. So I'm saying less stairs the better unless you want to end your day in tears. The stairs were huge and uneven :(

NYC
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

Ok thanks. We can handle stairs but not sure how many flights of stairs my parents can reasonably do. Since we plan on staying reasonable active throughout the vacation, I'm pretty sure we don't wanna all be THAT sore the following day.

Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

- Spa Bali is good and on the same street at Royal Beach hotel

- if u don't do rafting from Ubud, try a cycling tour instead. Less chance of someone getting injured.

- average cost of a driver for us is usually 250,000-300,000/day I wouldn't pay more than that. We usually shout them a few drinks water/bintangs each day.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

Loved white water rafting, even though I managed to fall out the raft- scary but staff were amazing.minus the bruises, was a great experience. But cycling was 100% one of the highlights of our last trip, must do. We went with BOB-Bali on bike, amazing day, great prices fantastic staff and full experience of real Bali.

Went to Zen spa in Ubud, was very nice and reasonable price. Must book day before, we had a big group so that was our issue. I'm heading back in July and Murano does look like somewhere I'll be trying out too.

Do not pay $70 for a car!!! $40-50 at most

Hope this helps somehow!

Gawler, Australia
Level Contributor
803 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

Wazky I don't know when you last hired a driver but Rp250 000 - 300 000 for a day is way too low. A driver now will cost you about Rp450 000 - Rp500 000 for a day.

Edited: 8:10 pm, January 19, 2014
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 day trip to Seminyak and Ubud

I agree totally with Madjacqui - A driver should be at least Rp450-550,000 for a full day. Any less than that and I feel you would really be paying the poor driver less than cost.

Cheers