We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card Caution

Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Card Caution

Just returned from my 22nd trip to Bali, I purchased some board shorts from "Hurley Surf" at Bali Collection Nusa Dua, using my CC normal transaction. a few days later went to the "Hurley Shop" in the new "Lippo Mall" Sth Kuta/Tuban, to try and exchange, no can do, different owners, OK, so I decided to purchase another pair of shorts, normal credit transaction goes through, then the assistant writes a manual receipt (similar to the Department stores for those familiar with Bali), he then asks me to sign it, so I did, there was no info on it , except the date & what I had bought, obviously I misunderstood him, he then says, you must write your Credit Card Number on it, I decline, asked why, was told for security, I replied “Not for my security”, More discussions as I refused, he asked the Manager out back 3 times who said I must, Manager finally came out and said don’t worry about it.

So just out of curiosity, I was at “Discovery Mall” I asked in “Hurley Shop” if I was to make a purchase do I have to write my CC details on a receipt, the reply was “Yes”, again I asked why, the assistant immediately got the manager and the reply was Company Policy, and said he was sorry, he didn’t know why, and gets asked this question many times.

As a follow up, I asked at my hotel if they had heard of this, and yes they had, “definitely don’t do it, it may be a Scam”, in addition, as there is usually 2 or more assistants, I was also advised when shopping anywhere, to beware of the other assistants nearby, using their mobile phones, as they may try to take a photo of your Credit Card.

One must wonder, if the electronic transaction has gone through, why would they want your Credit Card Details written down??? Beware!!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Card Caution

THXS for the info. This sort of info discourages me from using my c/c in Bali.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Card Caution

This is entirely speculation on my part, but the banks here in Bali are super-cautious about possible credit card fraud,and they often ask vendors to jump through certain hoops to assure them for certain transactions. ..eg asking for passport details, faxing in photocopies of the struk receipts, signing extra documents, etc. It's possible, that some past communication from the stores' upper management was misinterpreted by the staff and they don't know why they are told to ask whatever they require for you.

A friend of mine who has a store had a largish transaction and payment from the bank was delayed for almost 2 weeks beause the bank wanted to verify the credit card holders's identity..and in the meantime both the customer and the vendor had to go through hoops to make the transaction go through. (phone calls, letters, etc)

I realize yours was a small transaction but sometimes staff are told something and they are forced to do it without understanding why.

From my understanding Bali is experiencing a wave of credit card fraud,but on the other side of the coin...customers bringing invalid or stolen cards and fleecing the vendors and banks...

Not that your experience might NOT have been an attempt at a scam, but this is just another way to look at the situation.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Card Caution

Sounds a bit sus to me but as The Puppy says Its Bali.

Cheers Mac

4. Re: Credit Card Caution

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 11, 2015