We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

Perth
Level Contributor
159 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

Hi all,

I usually put money in my 28 degrees mastercard account, so I can withdraw my own cash in Bali, obtaining a great exchange rate and avoiding fees. However I have just found out that there will be a new cash advance fee charged from 1 January 2014. The fee is 3% of the cash advance or $4 (whichever is greater). E.g. withdraw $1,000 and the fee would be $30.

From the 28degrees FAQ:

"Will I be charged a cash advance fee if my card has a positive balance?

Yes, you will still be charged a cash advance fee if you withdraw cash from your 28 Degrees MasterCard even if the card has a positive credit balance. We do not recommend that you load your card into credit as this is not the intended purpose of the card."

So I will no longer be able to withdraw my money without fees. Does anyone know of another card that could be used for this purpose?

Cheers

Scoofy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

Yep - 100% yep.

Similarly I've held the 28 Degrees Card for a number of years now and enjoyed the fee free transaction benefits.

When I heard about this new fee structure, I did some research and applied for the Citibank Plus Debit Card. Basically it is a bank account with an ATM card. You deposit money into your Citibank Account by normal bank transfer, or at an Australia Post Office, or at a Citibank Branch and you can use it anywhere in the world with NO FEES. Exchange is very similar to the 28 Degrees Card XE Currency Exchange rate.

I applied online, took ID to the Post Office and got my account opened, PIN number and ATM card about a week later. Keep in mind this is only a debit card, so no money in account, no money at ATM.

So....I intend using 28 Degree Card as a NO FEES credit card with 55 days interest free, and the Citibank Plus ATM card as a NO FEES debit card at ATMs when travelling. Best of both worlds, and no fees whatsoever.

Visit the Citibank Plus website and away you go.

I believe there may be others including ING Orange (?) card and NAB Gold but I think there may be minimum balances required in those accounts to egg the benefits.

Check it out - it seems perfect.

Edited: 3:54 am, November 05, 2013
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

I applied and received my 28 degree card a few weeks ago after it was recommended on here as being free, esp for cash withdrawls. When it arrived and I read the info it did say about the new charges so now I would be interested in any other alternatives.

Scoofy - I checked out Citibank and it looks perfect.

Any others options or are most trying to charge us now.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

Just an important note about the 28 Degrees Card....you can still use it as a Credit Card with no fees whatsoever around the world, so it's worthwhile keeping and using for major purchases, hotel bookings etc and take the Citibank Card for ATM only

It works.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,886 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

There has been talk of this about to happen in January. Too many people load cash onto their card and they are making no money from it so it was inevitable that they make changes. I like the 28 degree card and have used it for years as a credit card.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

Thanks Mullos

That's seems to be my plan now. Just need to get applying... off in 4 weeks.

Just a query.......if someone has used the Citibank card will it work in all/most ATM's? First holiday to Bali and don't want to spend ages looking for ATM's to get money.

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

if you use the debit card at any other ATM (other than Citibank ) you will still pay the ATM fee for using another banks ATM approx $2-$4

Perth
Level Contributor
159 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

Hi Mullos1962,

Thanks so much, that should be exactly what I was looking for! A debit card to withdraw cash, and I can keep my 28 degrees card for paying the hotel @ checkout and shopping online :-)

If you withdraw a large enough amount, the ATM fee is not a biggie, esp. if the exchange rate is so good.

So.. Another card to house in my wallet so it seems...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

If you google reviews and forums about the Citibank Card, the overall view is that the only places you may get hit with ATM fees is Thailand and Vietnam. I experienced that with the 28 Degrees Card in Thailand back in January - albeit less than$20 all up over 3 weeks.

The only proviso with the Citibank Plus Card is you must use an ATM with the VISA logo on it - it doesn't have to be a Citibank ATM. The same as the 28 Degrees card you have to use it at a Mastercard badged ATM to avoid ATM fees. Most ATMs wear both badges anyway so no problemo.

Otherwise, every other review I have read claim it has NO ATM fees at all anywhere else in the world.

Perth
Level Contributor
159 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

Hi veg-tony,

Just to add to your post, the citi website states that the abovementioned account/card allows free withdrawals at citibank, Westpac, St George, Bank of Melbourne and BankSA ATMs Australia wide.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 28 Degrees mastercard - new cash advance fee

To add to Scoofy's post at #9 it also says on the Citibank Plus site

".........and thousands of other ATMs around the world with the VISA logo......."