We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali, Lombok and Gilli Islands

london
5 posts
Save Topic
Bali, Lombok and Gilli Islands

Hi, my husband and I have booked flights to Bali for next year. We intend on staying in Bali for one full day unless you can tell us why we should stay longer. We then intend flying to Lombok, and also going to the Gilli islands. We have two weeks and need to be back in Bali on the 19th to fly home.

We are meeting our daughter who is travelling with friends.

We would like advice on:

where to stay in Bali- 3 star accommodation or similar

we would like to know the best cultural places to visit

we are thinking of flying to Lombok, so need to know how far the airport is to where we stay

I would appreciate any advice

Thank you

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali, Lombok and Gilli Islands

Hi Caz - you won't see much in terms of culture in one day in Bali. And the only culture you'll find on the Gilis is beach culture and drinking culture if heading to Gili Trawangan. You may benefit from posting on the specific Lombok forum for cultural recommendations there.

Since you plan on basically using Bali as your hub for one day, I'd stay in the south, possibly Tuban since it's close to the airport, 5 mins by car. It's fairly urban, but since you don't intend staying longer, proximity to the airport would seem sensible as a criteria. The Green Garden Beach Resort or Febris may suit.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali, Lombok and Gilli Islands

Lombok airport is now located in Praya, about 20 minutes north of Kuta. To the north-west coast it's about a 1.5 hour taxi ride, 2 hours if going straight to one of the harbours (Teluk Kodek, Teluk Nare & Bangsal).

Given you have 2 weeks in total, you might want to give each island at least a week (Gili's 3 nights minimum). It might also be convenient to stay in the south of Lombok i.e. Kuta after the Gilis to fly back to Bali.

You haven't mentioned where you plan to stay in Lombok?

london
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali, Lombok and Gilli Islands

Thank you for your reply. We have now decided to stay in Bali for 4 days. We are planning to meet our daughter in Ubud. We then plan to spend 4 days on Lombok and 3-4 days on one of the Gili islands, not the largest of the islands.

Would you suggest staying in Ubud for the whole 4 days or moving on (we don't need to visit the beach as we can do this on Lombok).

Also we are going to get back to Bali a day before our flight, can you suggest a place to stay and what to do in 24hours or less.

Thanks

Caron

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali, Lombok and Gilli Islands

@caz028 - you will need to decide how long you would like to stay in Ubud? If you're after culture, rice paddy fields & temples you will also find this on Lombok.

You can do the following:

Day 1 - London -> Bali, Ubud stay

Day 2 - Ubud

Day 3 - Ubud

Day 4 - Ubud

Day 5 - Ubud -> Fly Lombok, Senggigi/Mangist stay

Day 5 - Senggigi/Mangsit

Day 6 - Senggigi/Mangsit

Day 7 - Senggigi/Mangsit

Day 8 - Gilis transfer

Day 9 - Gilis

Day 10 - Gilis

Day 11 - Gilis

Day 12 - Gilis - Kuta (Lombok) transfer, Mimpi Manis stay

Day 13 - Kuta (Lombok) -> fly to Bali

Day 14 - Kuta/Seminyak/Denpasar stay?

Is there any particular reason you're going back to Bali a day before your international flight? Consider staying an extra night in Kuta, Lombok instead where you'll be able to enjoy alot of sightseeing, ray & sunshine before departing home. Here's a link to the mentioned stay:

www.mimpimanis.com/

london
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali, Lombok and Gilli Islands

Thank you for your quick and helpful advice. I have passed this onto my daughter who is now sorting accommodation out.

Thanks again Caz

6. Re: Bali, Lombok and Gilli Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:33 am, March 24, 2015