We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Mt Batur without a tour

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
120 posts
25 reviews
Climbing Mt Batur without a tour

Is it mandatory to go with a tour for climbing Mt Batur?

Can't I just book a driver and go there on my own? Can I do that? Because I read in some reviews that a guide is mandatory and tourists were hassled by the locals if they went there on their own?

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Climbing Mt Batur without a tour

Hello Mrs Koh!

It is most unwise to climb Mount Batur without a licenced guide. The locals are very concerned about the safety/danger for unaccompanied tourists, due to the danger of mudslides, tourists falling into ravines, tourists being badly injured or killed!

By arranging to go with a guide, you will be taken the safest way and will also have the benefit of having a knowledgeable person with you, capable of knowing the safety required and also able to explain the history.

You can contact agents when you are in Bali and make a booking then.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,332 posts
129 reviews
2. Re: Climbing Mt Batur without a tour

I completely agree with Wendy. Tourists have been killed by the vent throwing rocks and gas out...one in the last two years slipped and fell and died. There are many guides who can take you up there, usually they want at least 2 people. You can also call Lakeview Hotel and see if they can accomodate you...they overlook the volcano and lake and have tours go down quite often...

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
317 reviews
3. Re: Climbing Mt Batur without a tour

Once again choose a good driver to arrange this for you, a guide is recommended and should be used. If you want a name of a good driver to help arrange this then let us know.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Climbing Mt Batur without a tour

It is not compulsary to hire a local guide to climb Mt Batur but only a foolish person would attempt it. If you chose not to hire a local guide expect to be harrassed and confronted with aggressive behaviour. Your driver will probably cop it too.

Why put yourself through that? You are coming a long way from the USA to Bali why not go with the flow instead of bucking the system. If you are penny pinching, better to find something else to economise on than your safety.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: Climbing Mt Batur without a tour

as said the locals will hassle if you don't get a guide as for the track it is well worn and easy to follow to the first crator stop after that it can become complicated. I agree, it is annoying that you MUST have a guide

but easier to get one and enjoy the hike

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
120 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Climbing Mt Batur without a tour

Thanks for the information.

I'm not keen on this at all but my partner is. If I was going up the mountain and I was told that it'd be dangerous without the guide, I will definitely have the guide. I already have at least one organized tour booked every day that the only place I am going on my own is Monkey Forest so I was just asking what kind of climb it is. It does get a bit tiresome being shuffled around endlessly from start to finish. Anyhow I've taken this out from my itinerary because I'm not very keen and there's nowhere to fit it in.

Edited: 1:58 am, October 18, 2013
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: Climbing Mt Batur without a tour

you walk up in the dark along a path that gradually becomes steeper but not too bad. the ends of the path (dirt track) become lined with volcanic rock. this can become a little sharp. then you reach the rim of the volcano. find a spot to sit and watch the sun rise over Lombok.

from this point tours vary - you can head back down, go up higher or transverse to the other volcanoes (there are 3), then make your way down. going down is on loose scree at the beginning so you can slide on your butt.

it is safe and easy. you will get dirty. long light pants help and a decent torch and water. they supply one but I have never been given a decent torch. LED head torch is great.

have a good one!

here a blog link to the trip/s

…blogspot.com.au/search…

8. Re: Climbing Mt Batur without a tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 21, 2014