We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motor Bike Helmets

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Motor Bike Helmets

Would like to bring 2 motorbike helmets home.....Where would I buy them in Kuta Central ? Are they cheaper than in Perth at $150 ?

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
500 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motor Bike Helmets

Don't know about Kuta Central but we went in towards Denpasar last year off Sunset Rd & hubby bought a Kyt helmet for 350000Rp. He needs an XXXL at least which are not available in Oz.

We asked at Bintang Supermarket & were told which street to go to. They even drew us a little map to show the taxi driver.

Much cheaper than the ones we looked at in UK & Paris for €750 !!

Happy travels !!

Edited: 8:12 am, September 05, 2013
perth, australia
Level Contributor
506 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motor Bike Helmets

B careful when buying them that they have Australian standered on them as a lot of them dont

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motor Bike Helmets

Megs has provided a prudent caution.

Many of the better helmets have may have Korean, Indonesian or other standards certification but if they do not bear AU certification then they are not sufficient in that domain.

If you have an accident the insurers may seek to prove that you were culpable in that you did not wear a suitably compliant helmet.

See productsafety.gov.au/content/…974854

Sadly the compliance issues are a maze of confusion, this article mrasa.asn.au/pdf/MotorcycleHelmetStandards.p… is revealing in it's detail.

That article outlines that for example strict compliance with the SA road rules it is impossible, irrespective of which standard is declared on a helmet label.

The variables between states are explained on page 4 of that article.

Many people import helmets from other markets, but they likely know it is illegal.

Chances are you are better off with a high end non-standards compliant helmet than a low grade but certified one.

Some people likely make a decision upon those determinations, and respective prices whilst overlooking the prudence of applying with the local legal requirements.

Standards compliance is also certainly an issue in Indonesia, and it is sometimes enforced.

It is defined in the Indonesian roadway codes.

I had a Taiwanese helmet for a while, one day it just cracked into two pieces.

This was an outcome of buying too quickly and with limited choice at the time, I thought it was suspect, and it was.

It may have been more of a risk wearing it than not, a old saucepan likely offered better protection, with or without a handle attached.

We now both have Aria helmets

It must be borne in mind though that connecting with an immovable object above a certain speed, like a concrete wall or the back end of a parked truck is going to make a mess of you what ever you are wearing.

Being encased in a Sherman tank will not assist you if you engage with an abutment at 140km/h.

It is unlikely that I will discover the texture of the asphalt at the speeds I once did many years ago on an Australian highway wearing a fullface Shoei.

Those speeds are hard to achieve in Indonesia.

Oddly the helmet never touched the ground, but other things did. There are reasons I have trouble with my spelling.

Edited: 9:14 am, September 05, 2013
4. Re: Motor Bike Helmets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 07, 2014