We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
773 posts
22 reviews
13 helpful votes
Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

Hi all

I have to change my travel plans to Nusa Lembongan due to Nyepi Laut on 19/10/2013.

I have the opportunity to extend my stay by one day, but means that I will be on the island on Nyepi Laut.

From what I have read you are not allowed in the ocean on this day, which is OK by me, as I am happy to respect their traditions......

BUT are restaurants/businesses allowed to open on the island on this day?????

IS there a ceremony that we can watch and appreciate the wonderful culture of the Balinese people ???

I know, a few questions, but it makes a difference between staying the extra night or changing my travel plans completely

Any information would be wonderful

Thanks in advance

Kylie :)))

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
9,362 posts
50 reviews
83 helpful votes
1. Re: Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

I would definately stay the extra day on Lembongan. It is only activities to do with the ocean that will be stopped, no fishing, swimming, water sports, boats etc. There will be very colourful ceremonies and rituals performed. Just ask at your accommodation where and what time. All else will be as normal though there will probably be a shortage of staff.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
27 reviews
15 helpful votes
2. Re: Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

I was just reading yesterday a travel report I found on google from an american couple who were in NL on Nyepi & her photos & descriptions made me want to be there...or anywhere in Bali on Nyepi. the ceremonies looked amazing & maybe as she was on a smaller island she was able to experience and come across a lot of of the preparations for the day & the parade with ogah ogahs etc. she was still able to swim in her hotel pool. not sure if this is the same ceremonial day as you are referring to but is worth checking google for her blog anyway.

Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
610 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

We were on Lembongan for Nypei Laut Day last year. We went over to Dream Beach and had a lovely lunch and spent the afternoon by our pool. Very relaxing.

Yes, there are ceremonys and also cock fighting on Ceningan Island that you can go and check out.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
9,362 posts
50 reviews
83 helpful votes
4. Re: Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

willswish, Nyepi and Nyepi Laut are different days. If you are talking about Ogah oghas, then it was Nyepi.

Perth
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

Everyone is correct when they say being on Lembongan on Nyepi Laut is worth it. You can do everything except swim in the ocean or boats on the water. There are wonderful sights to be taken in by scooter and great restaurants and swimming pools.

THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT NYEPI LAUT THIS YEAR 2013 IS 20th OCT (NOT 19th), check Rocky Fast Ferries Website. Some of the hotels had the wrong date on their sites.

Enjoy the day, we'll be there!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
773 posts
22 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

I am totally confused now. I changed my travel arrangements to work around Nyepi Laut on 19th & supposed to be travelling from Nusa Lembongan to Gili Trawangan on 20th, now you're saying its on the 20th.... Feel like cancelling the whole time on the islands as it is getting WAY TOO STRESSFUL :(

Wonthaggi, Australia
Level Contributor
908 posts
36 reviews
24 helpful votes
7. Re: Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

Please don't stress!!! And don't cancel your time on the island, it's beautiful and well worth staying!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
773 posts
22 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

I dint want to but now in the process of contacting the tour com

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
773 posts
22 reviews
13 helpful votes
9. Re: Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

Take 2 - I don't want to cancel but in the process of contacting the tour company that we have booked through. They are based in Bali and advertised through Bay Shore Huts Nusa Lembongan so surely they know which day Nyepi Laut is on.

I have already changed my booking once by adding an extra day which cost me extra money, so what do I do now.

I'm 4 weeks out of arriving in Bali and STILL don't have our Island visit sorted out :(

10. Re: Is it worth being on Nusa Lembongan on Nyepi Laut Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 16, 2014